Android Gaming Device By Sony

So this would be a Droid but without the slide out keypad it would have a slide out gamepad? I might get one, most of the games I play are retro and I'm not into the whole touch screen or the whole wireless motion sensor that the wii has. I remember when the PSP Go came out a lot of reviewers said 'why didn't they just make a PSP phone?' or is that what they said about the Nintendo DSi? I can't remember, but with the iPhone I think Sony and Nintendo need to seriously look into something like this, the iPhone is killing them.

I'd love to get my hands on an NGage QD if I could find one for cheap, especially if it came with a copy of Rifts. I've wanted to play that for ages and would jump at the chance. If only there were an NGage emulator... :(

second exodous said:
So this would be a Droid but without the slide out keypad it would have a slide out gamepad? I might get one, most of the games I play are retro and I'm not into the whole touch screen or the whole wireless motion sensor that the wii has.
Why not use an ordinary Droid/Milestone plus Gamegripper? I'm planning to MOD a proper bluetooth gamepad à la iControlPad for my Milestone till the end of the year. I'll post some pics eventually. I'll use a wiimote and classic controller as basis. The wiimote is well supported in Android, afaics.

Last edited by a moderator:
mali said:
second exodous said:
So this would be a Droid but without the slide out keypad it would have a slide out gamepad? I might get one, most of the games I play are retro and I'm not into the whole touch screen or the whole wireless motion sensor that the wii has.
Why not use an ordinary Droid/Milestone plus Gamegripper? I'm planning to MOD a proper bluetooth gamepad à la iControlPad for my Milestone till the end of the year. I'll post some pics eventually. I'll use a wiimote and classic controller as basis. The wiimote is well supported in Android, afaics.
Yeah, I think the game gripper is a great idea but having a dedicated device like this would get more developers to make games. I think Sony or Nintendo would also put some great games on a phone with gaming controls, so it's more of a device that comes with gaming controls delivered by a major company than just a droid with a third party control pad.

First off to those complaining about Android, it's pretty much definite Sony would use some sort of skin that emphasizes on gaming such as a Playstation Network homescreen option or something like that. The reason this might not fail whereas the Mylo did and the N-Gage did is this would most likely fully utilize the every-growing Android market with tons of apps AND Android market games that would most likely add support for this PlaystatiAndroid. The reason Android can be so wonderful for products like these is because you can add skins, but these are the only products I really want skins on. It sounds like a great idea and it would be even more amazing if they can utilize the upcoming dual-core Snapdragon dual core processors in these devices. The just-announced 1.5Ghz dual core Qualcomm QSD6872 that it scheduled to ship in Q4 of this year sounds like hacker and homebrewer's dream if used on this, especially if you can root the phone as easily as some of the phones out right now. If they can design this thing right and price it right with the right carriers then this can be a good competitor to the Pandora :)

General Tso said:
First off to those complaining about Android, it's pretty much definite Sony would use some sort of skin that emphasizes on gaming such as a Playstation Network homescreen option or something like that. The reason this might not fail whereas the Mylo did and the N-Gage did is this would most likely fully utilize the every-growing Android market with tons of apps AND Android market games that would most likely add support for this PlaystatiAndroid. The reason Android can be so wonderful for products like these is because you can add skins, but these are the only products I really want skins on. It sounds like a great idea and it would be even more amazing if they can utilize the upcoming dual-core Snapdragon dual core processors in these devices. The just-announced 1.5Ghz dual core Qualcomm QSD6872 that it scheduled to ship in Q4 of this year sounds like hacker and homebrewer's dream if used on this, especially if you can root the phone as easily as some of the phones out right now. If they can design this thing right and price it right with the right carriers then this can be a good competitor to the Pandora :)

The problem is that android is a fairly open system, and just by using it as their OS on a device means it'll be somewhat if not VERY easily hacked unless it's been extremely modified. Now, if Sony Ericson is going to make this as a PHONE that just happens to have gaming controls on it, that's a much more plausible explanation...

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
General Tso said:

The problem is that android is a fairly open system, and just by using it as their OS on a device means it'll be somewhat if not VERY easily hacked unless it's been extremely modified. Now, if Sony Ericson is going to make this as a PHONE that just happens to have gaming controls on it, that's a much more plausible explanation...
And I have the odd feeling it'll be all... Locked down, the operating system, come preloaded with crappy, bloated DRM, etc.

"The D-pad is here, but instead of the small joystick, the device will have what was described as a "long touch pad" for analog controls"
I wouldn't feel so great about that, either.

But what I hate is that all those suckers with large UMD collections are going to have to rebuy their old games as "HD REMAAAAKES!", and probably can't expect any sort of discount. I'm also pretty sure that stuff people bought on PSN will have to be rebought for some reason or another, like all those "PSP Minis" everybody bought and aren't allowed to transfer to their new device.
What a pity.
Of course, there's also the chance that this thing is just a gaming phone, and not the next PSP.. Oh how we speculate...

General Tso said:

Well, Symbian was (is!?) pretty popular back in the Ngage days... The reason why this might not fail is the backing of SCEA, who has the reputation, resources, contacts, intellectual properties and technologies to succeed in the gaming business, something that Nokia severely lacked. The dying PSP can still get big budget exclusive games like GoW and MG:pW.

Back