... and production still is reliable and moving forward :) (2012-05-11)

I remember some discussions about the 1GHz upgrade a while ago. But there were two problems (at least in my opinion) 1.some people felt disadvantaged. 2. they (OpenPandora GmbH) still had a large amount of the current type in stock.

Guess at some point they need to order new parts – so why not go for the more powerful 1GHz version? I doubt it would coast noticeably more.

I should be getting my second Pandora in a few weeks and I would definitely be interested in a 1 ghz upgrade!!!! If it is possible to do before you send mine out, please let me know.

There is much more to it than that, we need to test the new chips, the run of them will be expensive because it will be a small beta run, some software does not seem to run very well on them etc.

The good news is that they seem happy to clock to 1.3ghz, and it's not just the CPU which is faster, there are various other tweaks to the faster SoC.

Testing has shown them to be about *twice* as fast as the current Pandora, some software more than twice as fast, some not that fast.

This is why we need a wider test.

Sounds sweet. I will watch for word and send one of my Pandoras in when you are ready for them.

Isn't there the possibility to connect another display to it, too with this new soc?

Would be nice to have a hdmi out :)

Isn't there the possibility to connect another display to it, too with this new soc?

Would be nice to have a hdmi out :)
If they're using the chip I think they are, I'm guessing not. Even if it had an extra video output, it would still require a major (and expensive) overhaul of the board itself.

Is this the DM3730? I wouldn't mind getting an upgrade, I've already sent mine back once for repairs and unforunately it needs to be repaired again. An upgrade, now... that would be more interesting!

some software does not seem to run very well on them etc.
That's not really true, I see full compatibility so far

The good news is that they seem happy to clock to 1.3ghz
That's not certain yet too due to so little amount of test boards made.

Testing has shown them to be about *twice* as fast as the current Pandora, some software more than twice as fast, some not that fast.
This is on some GPU uses only, typically it doesn't go > ~50%, 1.3GHz factored in.

Last edited by a moderator:
This isn't official, but it's likely, we will be looking for people who want to upgrade to the 1Ghz+ chip. This will involve you sending your unit to us to have the board swapped for the new one.

We will keep your old board.

This will cost around the same price as a new unit, however due to the new nature of the 1Ghz+ test board we will offer closer support and a new forum section. You must be aware that you're essentially beta testing the newer board too.

That's probably the only 'upgrade' option which will be available. Please don't start a new thread about this, it isn't ready for that yet.

I will be sending my unit in under warranty... Would I be able to apply?

EDIT: I suck at reading :p

http://www.ti.com/product/dm3730

I think that's what is being prototyped. It was funny because there was no way of telling the prototype from a 3530. Global Components just marked the prototype boards with a white sticker, SOC is amazing tech.

Glad to hear about the good compatibility Notaz. If anyone notices in my video, the first unit EvilDragon tests didn't work on the breakout board. It was one of the prototypes, I didn't want to mention anything more until these things make it out to the public via some other channel (EvilDragon or Craig).

I'm already using the DM3730 as my daily unit for testing.

Everything I tried runs, so certainly no compatibility issues.

I'm also running the unit at 1,2 GHz (haven't tried more).

It's a neat system, making webbrowsing more smooth as well as games like Hurrican.

So yes, this system WILL come - but except for a couple of PCBs from an upcoming prototype run, 800 more Pandoras need to be sold first.

This SoC was the reason I didn't start the upgrade possibility from 256 to 512 MB yet.

I figured some would be angry upgrading to 512 MB when soon after that the DM3730 unit is being released...

I think I'll make an upgrade form soon anyways - maybe some of you want to get 512 MB right away without waiting for the 1GHz SoC.

The upgrade won't slow down delivery of old preorders though.

GC is capable of producing the Pandoras faster than we can sell them.

And as you know, a certain percentage of new units need to be sold to be able to afford the old preordered units.

Having waited for so long for my order anyway, I have been in a way waiting for you to switch over to the new SoC. I spoke to Jacquelyn about wanting to upgrade to Premium, but wait for delivery until the new SoC ones, that way you get to utilise the money, and I get a place in the Premium queue. If something like that is appealing, or a system you are thinking of setting up, then let me know.

You're all doing a great job.

Hi,

As a long term lurker finally about to actually commit and buy a unit I am really not sure I like this news... (And yes before anyone responds I know I do not have to support it etc and also I know a lot of people have put in a hell of a lot of effort with very little recompense...) but...

You have a load of people who have ordered ages ago and have not received orders

And

You need to sell 800 more Pandora's to before you can get to the 1Ghz CPU...

And

You have a case upgrade also in the works...

So basically anyone who was already waiting MAY be narked (There are some very patient people), and anyone who orders right now will get a black older case, so they MAY be narked when they see the better case (I see some want the black case) and anyone who orders out of the next 800 MAY be narked when their device is outdated pretty quickly after its purchase by an CPU upgrade... (Even if it does not change anything I would be)...

Just my feeling... because now instead of actually ordering a unit, I am going to hold off (Again!) and wait for a new case and 1Ghz board... thus unfortunately meaning one of the pre-orderers is going to have to wait a bit longer... And I think anyone reading the forums before a purchase may do a similar thing (Would you not do the same?)...

I appreciate the honesty... I mean how many manufacturers would tell you their plans etc... but I am not sure where this heading...

I remember some discussions about the 1GHz upgrade a while ago. But there were two problems (at least in my opinion) 1.some people felt disadvantaged.

they should not.

it is the same situation than if they bought their 1ghz-computers in year 2000, and felt disadvantaged because there was on the market for the same price the 2ghz computers in year 2004 with more than twice much memory.

[edit]

i think this kind of announcements bring more useless debates and problems than something else.

pandora-team should do what they have to do and not communicate it, to avoid tons of concellations of those who want to have a later position in the queue to have last upgrade units (what i can understand when we see what is possible to have...)

So will the DM3730 become the standard chip after the next run of omaps have sold out? Or will you continue to produce the omaps with dm3730 being an optional upgrade? From what I recall, the chips themselves don't cost that much more?

Thanks for clarifying this

I remember some discussions about the 1GHz upgrade a while ago. But there were two problems (at least in my opinion) 1.some people felt disadvantaged.

they should not.

it is the same situation than if they bought their 1ghz-computers in year 2000, and felt disadvantaged because there was on the market for the same price the 2ghz computers in year 2004 with more than twice much memory.

It might be closer to the same if they bought their 1Ghz computer in 2000 but by the time the 2Ghz computer came out in 2004 they were still yet to receive it.

On a positive note, The longer you've been waiting, the better the product you finally get.

Also, people who ordered ages ago are getting deliveries, of something better than they originally ordered.

Back