And now for something completely different (Keyboard Option)

Grench

Forum Addict!
I had a 'what if' moment and thought up a whole new twist on the keyboard setup.

Thank you to _wb_ since I blatantly stole his work as a template to build on.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/e2be98679bf72cf8bf987976b547652a

All the symbols you're likely to want and then some are taken into account.

Symbols that make logical pairs are grouped together.

Function (F1-F12) and number symbols are grouped in sets instead of rows.

It is an oddity - but may have functionality beyond it's appearance.

I.e. it may be ugly, but it can cook.

Curious to know what others thoughts are - since this is an admittedly weird direction to go.

It is ok.  I prefer numbers instead of dedicated keys I will never use, but I would deal with it.  I think ED said no to non-English letters on the keyboard, but I may be wrong.  I think exploring options with something like this can lead to some interesting and innovative ideas.

If you are trying really different stuff, how about a centered double wide space bar?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not want !!!
I agree.. 
Broccolioriginal.jpg

It isn't a 'German' keyboard.  It is an English Qwerty keyboard with 4 German symbols on the keys.

I figure those 8 (4 normal + 4 shifted) could be mapped to and used by anyone of any language.  Having them printed in German is simply an acknowledgment of who and where is building this device.

Consider those 4 keys (and their shifted counterparts) to be 'programmable' to suit the language of choice.  They're simply presented here as German.

No, I don't speak German.  Just English and some Spanish.

Consider those 4 keys (and their shifted counterparts) to be 'programmable' to suit the language of choice.  They're simply presented here as German.
That provides some interesting options as well.  This layout presents some cool ideas, imo.

This is... original. Maybe it will inspire someone.

That's about the only positive thing I can say about it though. This looks scary, messy, hard to get used to, inefficient, German-centric and weird.

That's a great one IMO, doesn't look messy at all once you get the order, and it liberate a lot of keys (including german ones which can be used for other things), plus the numbers are more usable.

Disregarding the German symbols, I think it's an interesting idea, but I think it will look messy, especially to non-power users. However, I *don't* think it should be default.

I would prefer having none of the international symbols labeled on keys.
Well depend on where you are then, some english symbols are internationale for some.

I made a variation without german letters and redundants symbols. F keys aren't aligned and so as numbers but I don't see the advantage of having Fkeys aligned nor numbers.

The big avantage of this Grench's layout is to have a clear numpad which you can use with only one thumb, also the liberated space allow to have a double-width space bar and more keys, I also like the idea of having all the parenthese types symbols on the same vertical line.

I renamed Pyra to Meta because there is already a Pyra on the keyboard, there is also the right shift and the left Ctrl. Also Ctrl+Meta to lock Meta.

Basically you have all the symbols you need (dead keys for all the accents) on the keyboard, if you want F keys just press Meta and you have all the Fkeys at the left thumb, if you want a numpad just press Meta and you have all the numbers at the right thumb.

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/d50ed376159bd25e4452d5b0d35bab31

Why are you all using a phone numpad (123 456 789 0) instead of a normal computer numpad (789 456 123 0) ?

Anyway, I don't thing either kind of numpad works well in a staggered layout.

Also, F-keys in four groups of three looks weird to me. Normal keyboards have three groups of four.

Why would you make & $ # = < > dedicated keys, but not the more important ones like - and / ?

The main advantage of moving everything one row up is that it allows you to make a long centered space bar. It would need to be four keys wide though to be really comfortable for both thumbs. Losing keys is not worth it.

Action button labels Z, A, X, Y, C, B make no sense (that's reading from left to right, top to bottom, but really, there is no way to look at it and have it make sense).

Having all of the shifted number row symbols !@#$%^&*() in non-standard places makes it hard to find symbols.

This layout is not at all friendly for international layouts: no room for custom keys (all the Meta-combinations are already taken, no room at P+1 and L+2), no easy combos to get dead diacritics, no number row (which is used for accented letters in French AZERTY and many eastern European layouts).

Why are you all using a phone numpad (123 456 789 0) instead of a normal computer numpad (789 456 123 0) ?

Anyway, I don't thing either kind of numpad works well in a staggered layout.

Also, F-keys in four groups of three looks weird to me. Normal keyboards have three groups of four.
Left it as Grench made it, no matter anyway. I made some improvements.

Having all of the shifted number row symbols !@#$%^&*() in non-standard places makes it hard to find symbols.
Pretty easy to remember:

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/2655cbd7903684773b4e99be39620e13

faZrv9X.png

A row number is useless IMO and a numpad is useful especially for those who want to use it as a phone. Also it looks better with a small orange symbols on each keys than on only few keys.

It's ideas like yours Grench which help hone the real thing. Welcome to the layout race.  :)

Oh boy!  I hope Ed wouldn't take any of these keyboard design.  We know the Pandora keyboard works so it is safe to stick with it.  Any other layout that is vastly different from the Pandora's is just a gamble at best...  So I say, stick with the Pandora keyboard and modify just a little here and there would be the safest way to go.

Oh boy!  I hope Ed wouldn't take any of these keyboard design.
I shouldn't worry if I were you. A guy called Cosurgi tried the exact same thing back when the Pandora was in development - opened lots of threads, obsessed about keyboard layouts... and was completely ignored by OPT.

Can't see this going any differently, tbh.

D.

Back