Amaricas Entering A Possable Second Depression.

alterdimension said:
I was watching the news and today was the worst stock day ever. It seems to me that a second depression worst than the first may be eminent. Any thoughts? :eek:
Yes, most likely. Though further reaching than the US. For further reading:
http://www.greenenergyinvestors.com/index.php?showforum=2

At least we'll all have the Pandora to play with! No food, no job, no money, pah...

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
And no software for your freaking pissdora :p. Hungry developers will develop software for missles instead of emulators and games :D

quasist said:
And no software for your freaking pissdora :p. Hungry developers will develop software for missles instead of emulators and games :D
Nah, there will be loads of unemployed bank developers who will have free time to write stuff... Until they starve of course.

PANDORA IS A CAUSE OF SECOND DEPRESSION!!! BURN THE WITCH and her children!!!

quasist said:
PANDORA IS A CAUSE OF SECOND DEPRESSION!!! BURN THE WITCH and her children!!!
You just can't help yourself, can you? Enjoy the next three days off.

Merged this with identical thread.

Sphinxter said:
Worst day in history and this isn't even October, it's gonna get ugly.

His pandora rant has not been all that funny lately, must be in a creative lull, bummer, time may help.
Todays (Monday 9/29) drop was the largest in terms of numbers, but still a far cry from 1987 or 1929 in terms of percentage of the DJIA. I think we will see more of the same going into October. I really hope that the government does something to curb any further decline, especially with the banks. The Federal Reserve has increased the amount of money available for credit to somewhere in the neighborhood of 600b, but TBO, I don't really know how that works.

I noticed something interesting when I came upon a long term view of the dow, it went back to the early 20th century. There was a very long period of slow growth and then around 1970 it picks up and then around 1980 it shoots up. Everything is moving along smoothly and then all of the sudden a drastic and fast rise. Take a look
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_Jones_Industrial_Average

Does it look like things are vastly overpriced and that we are in for a deflationary depression? Or is this the result of Nixon taking us off the gold standard in the early 70's? (I didn't read the article, I didn't have the time).

I just hope they don't decide that they are going to rescue us with the Amero. I don't want it and everything it comes with. The main thing that comes with it (as far as I can tell given the limited information about it) is that it basically combines Canada, Mexico and the US and creates a kind of North American version of the EU. I think national sovereignty is very important and creating these "economic unions". gives the banks and large corporations more and more power over us and is a move to large scale fascism. Fascism, the mixture of government and corporations, is probably the worst combination there is.

Chris

icurafu said:
It's called expodential growth.

Look at a linear log graph. It'll be more useful.
I was thinking that after I posted and was taking another look at the graph. The last few doubles are the big ones, with each getting bigger and bigger. Of course, all steady growth is exponential. An easy way to calculate the doubling time is to divide into 70. 2% doubles in 35 years. I forget where I read it, but Warren Buffet says the 20th century saw a steady 5% growth year after year. This growth is probably approaching it's limits. There is just not enough energy to go around to keep the population growing and most likely mother nature will stop the growth and reverse it with disease, global warming, war (over resources, arguable history will probably look at the invasion of Iraq as the beginning of the resource wars)... I personally think that very bad times are coming. I just hope I'm wrong, but I've been saying it for about 1 1/2 that bad times were coming soon and so far it seems to be panning out.

Chris

christo930 said:
Fascism, the mixture of government and corporations, is probably the worst combination there is.

Chris
I hate to tell you but corporate fascism in the US is already here.

Why do you think it is that Haliburton and KBR etc get no bid contracts in Iraq?

Why do we give billions in tax breaks to big oil while they are making record profits?

Why was Bush so anxious to ram that bailout bill through that would have given Paulson king-like non reviewable powers to do what ever he wanted with taxpayers money?

Why is it that lobbyists attach themselves like remoras to presidential campaigns (with the greatest number in McCains camp)?

Why does the US love to practice Reaganomic "trickle down" economics that never really trickle down at all but just make the rich richer?

Corporate fascism.

A few bush buddy oil producers/infrastructure/security groups will be making back the cost of the war for decades to come. And their contributions will keep republican leaders in power despite the awful governance of the current government.

It's the circle of life. :D

DaveC said:
christo930 said:
Fascism, the mixture of government and corporations, is probably the worst combination there is.

Chris
I hate to tell you but corporate fascism in the US is already here.

Why do you think it is that Haliburton and KBR etc get no bid contracts in Iraq?

Why do we give billions in tax breaks to big oil while they are making record profits?

Why was Bush so anxious to ram that bailout bill through that would have given Paulson king-like non reviewable powers to do what ever he wanted with taxpayers money?

Why is it that lobbyists attach themselves like remoras to presidential campaigns (with the greatest number in McCains camp)?

Why does the US love to practice Reaganomic "trickle down" economics that never really trickle down at all but just make the rich richer?

Corporate fascism.

You are preaching to the choir.
Another example outside the military industrial complex is that the RIAA imposes a tax, collected by the government on Audio cd-rs. RIAA members get money for every blank audio cd sold and that is one the reasons they cost more. Bush insisting on retroactive protection from liability for the telcoms who teamed up with Bush to spy on Americans is another example.

Guy robs a bank, gets $3000 dollars and is caught 2 hours later with the 3k and goes to jail for 15 years.

A pipe manufacturer dumps millions of gallons of contaminated water into the Delaware river which supplies drinking water for many and recreation as well. Environmental clean up costs tax payers millions, investigation and prosecution causes millions more. Blatant osha violations and conditions known to be unsafe causes many deaths and severe injury to workers including loss of limb are ignored and systematically covered up by top management all the way up. OSHA describes working conditions among the worst they have seen. The top executives who not only knew about it, but created an environment of lawlessness and disregard for safety get short sentences on house arrest (in mansions) and are allowed to go to work and continue to make millions/

What the fuck is wrong with this picture? More executives need to go to REAL prison with real cells and real convicts to talk to when they commit crimes, especially since their crimes often affect thousands of people and millions of dollars lost. They can destroy thousands of lives and cause millions in damage and get a tiny slap on the wrist, while the little criminal goes to jail for a long time.

Chris

zt6asp.jpg

GREETINGS FROM OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOW

Wow. I'm suprised this thing is still up and alive.

Well, Seeing as how I know nothing about this country I live in, I don't wanna say much.

Only that from what I hear, one reason the first depression lasted so long is because of how we treated our economy back than, or something like that.

Anyhow, point is, It's avoidable. We just have to do everything right.
And, although I'd love to talk about politics, I don't feel that a forum is the right place to talk about it (Seeing as how most of you don't actually care to talk about it, and I'm getting Bias responses.). So, continue whatever it is that you were doing. :unsure:

Classic Team said:
Anyhow, point is, It's avoidable. We just have to do everything right.
Yeah, that's feasible. Every single economy in the world experiences ups and downs, it's unavoidable. It's simply not possible to live in a nation that's perfect economically, because everybody has their own agenda and everybody loves money.

The thing that gets me is that the 700 billion bailout is funded by our tax dollars, yet we still have to pay high interest mortgages. Its not the companies that are at fault, its the ceo and presidents. The one thing that really gets me is that these ceo and presidents are still making seven figure monies. The stock market is going down fast. It went below 10,000 and soon the whole world (if not already) will feel it too.

alterdimension said:
The thing that gets me is that the 700 billion bailout is funded by our tax dollars, yet we still have to pay high interest mortgages. Its not the companies that are at fault, its the ceo and presidents. The one thing that really gets me is that these ceo and presidents are still making seven figure monies. The stock market is going down fast. It went below 10,000 and soon the whole world (if not already) will feel it too.
It hit 91xx today but is back up to 93xx around 1:30eastern. 52week high 14,xxx 52 week low 91xx, nearly a 1/3 contraction. Unemployment figures are not accurate because once your UE runs out, you are no longer unemployed. You have to be registered at the UE office to count as unemployed, in other words. I'm not really sure what all that means in real life, but I'm sure it's not good. The feds lowered the interest rate in an attempt to get some credit going, but in the long run, it creates inflation. There has been massive inflation this year at the supermarket. That is one place where inflation really, really hurts. You can get by by cutting back on a lot of stuff, but not food. In my neck of the woods, winter appears to be coming early (or when it always came), unlike the last 10 years or so, so it might turn out to be a really cold winter in which case heating oil/gas is really going to take a lot of money out of the economy. The energy situation is really bad. There is a glut of oil on the market and yet it is still over $100 a barrel. What is going to happen if there is a spike in demand and the glut turns into a shortage? Back to 150 a barrel this winter? God, imaging if that happens what oil will be selling for next summer? $200 a barrel? I hope not. I am unemployed right now and the chances of me getting a job in the next few months are slim and none. Maybe the upcoming xmas season will help the economy, but with a credit shortage it probably will be a record low xmas sales this year. Of course, extreme discounts and price cuts might help. The us could save so much money by ending this stupid war that nobody wants. We could save a ton more on this crazy war on drugs we have as well. The US has 4% of the population of the world and houses 26% of all incarcerated people world wide. There is also a problem in the auto world. There are so many people with suv's that aren't worth what is owed on t hem. The SUV / pickup truck/ minivan were historically the highest value vehicles, retaining their value at a better rate than any other vehicle. Now they don't hold their value so well and so people who own suvs that are a few years old can't get what they owe for them in trade in so they are stuck with them, creating a slowdown in new care sales. I know a few people who want to get rid of their big trucks/cars to get smaller ones and can't. So with Auto, energy, consumer goods and banking all in trouble, it just seems there is no where to go but down. I don't think we will have people starving in the streets like in the 30's, but I don't know what to expect and I imagine that there are millions of Americans like me that are really worried about their future.

Chris

Back