Am I going dotty? (A tilable pattern)

Binky

Death's Steed
Staff member
I drew a pattern that spells out "DragonBox Pyra" in UTF-8:

binary-wallpaper.png

Maybe it would be useful for promotional material or suchlike?
(Really, I've no idea. I'll just leave it here and wait for someone to think of something...)

Oh, I get it
Although not sure what you could do with it, but it reminds me of something I would see as the border of a webpage for example.
Capture.png

why does it need utf-8? doesn't ascii suffice?

yeah, it looks like it could be a nice background effect in a certain limited space, to contrast with a more negative white space.

why does it need utf-8? doesn't ascii suffice?

No particular reason, except that "DragonBox Pyra\r\n" is exactly128b, which is a more satisfying number than the 112b you'd get with ascii. The extra bits are all zeroes anyway.

http://www.qr-code-generator.com/
pyra_promotion_static.png <--- free for commercial use

They also have dynamic things that can track how many scanned it. It's 24 euro/year for the starter... 2 designs included... so you can track if t-shirt or car scans are more effective...

Examples:
pyra_promotion.png pyra_promotion2.png
[doublepost=1496862896,1496861351][/doublepost]because you can change the corners, you can even do a
D b P on the corners (at risk of losing a bit of scan relyability)
[doublepost=1496863200][/doublepost]
and wait for someone to think of something..
I'd rather have readable words, like the commodore 64 ascii art and a maze around it. The pattern is nice, could be for a webpage bg or packing paper... but the code is lost how it is (only a small fraction of people are mathematically inclined to decode such thing...)

Ha, ha, I remember a "game" we played at University in boring lectures. Usually 90-minute lecture was a bit short for it. Two people made two short sentences written on paper for each other. The goal was to make QR code on paper. Unlimited amount of paper (for notes and "final product") and pencil accessible, no computers/calculators/phones allowed. The one whose code has been successfully scanned won :).

If it's a secret then it should say something like 'GPD sucks' or something, surely?

I think I've figured it out now. You're missing a byte ordering mark for portability, it seems. Other than that it seems to read as 'Dragonbox Pyra/r/n' in ASCII as well as far as I've checked so far.

It seems the byte ordering mark for UTF-8 is 24 bits wide, so you're over the 16 byte limit even if you omit the line ending if you use that unfortunately.

...but maybe that's just me?

It's not just you.

In an animation I hid a pankey (a pangram made out of keys) saying
"PYRA I5 T1 GH2 6B W4N DE8 XFC3 VM Q0S JO9 KLU7Z".
"Pyra is TI, GHz, GB, WAN, deb, XFCE, VM, QOS, jog klutz";
because one day, I will certainly stumble while walking using my Pyra.

I like the idea of a tilable pattern but these days, one should beware of dots.

Back