Pyra prototypes?

Even my Dell ALPS keyboard has gouges taken out of the left shift key because I guess I press left shift with my pinky at an awkward angle a lot of the time.  Still works fine of course.

i wear out my laptop keyboards (F [a one letter command of mine], J [vim], among other things are less functional). bought a mechanical one (tenkeyless and love it!). it's annoying that it makes the setup less portable, though. would enjoy making a lunch-box/briefcase style laptop with a mechanical keyboard, but will settle for a nice desktop setup.

I love the old IBM PS/2 tactile click M series keyboards.  I even have one of the 'compact' ones without the 10 key from a PS/2 model 25 I used to have.  Unfortunately, in today's quiet office environments even a 'quiet' laptop keyboard sounds loud - the tactile click mechanical ones are too disruptive.

The best I've found to suit modern environments is a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad era ultranav keyboard.  They're hard to find, but they're a rubber blister/mechanical hybrid mechanism that has OK feel, OK travel and full sized keys (not chicklets or islands).  Having both the trackpoint nub and a trackpad and 5 buttons to run them and 2 USB ports in the back to attach another mouse is pretty cool too.

And we officially have yet another keyboard discussion thread... lol.

I love the old IBM PS/2 tactile click M series keyboards.  I even have one of the 'compact' ones without the 10 key from a PS/2 model 25 I used to have.  Unfortunately, in today's quiet office environments even a 'quiet' laptop keyboard sounds loud - the tactile click mechanical ones are too disruptive.
Pff... quiet office environments... I've been using my Model M in my office for years and just shrug off the complaints.  

I have up to 30 Model M keyboards stored in my office that I've saved from being sent to scrap. Only if I could sneak them out.

i wear out my laptop keyboards (F [a one letter command of mine], J [vim], among other things are less functional). bought a mechanical one (tenkeyless and love it!). it's annoying that it makes the setup less portable, though.
If you only use the laptop keyboard when out and use the mechanical one when at home (or work) the laptop keyboard may last longer.

The best I've found to suit modern environments is a Lenovo/IBM ThinkPad era ultranav keyboard.  They're hard to find, but they're a rubber blister/mechanical hybrid mechanism that has OK feel, OK travel and full sized keys (not chicklets or islands).  Having both the trackpoint nub and a trackpad and 5 buttons to run them and 2 USB ports in the back to attach another mouse is pretty cool too.
I have been considering a tactile, but not so clicky one since I discovered how much typing sound bothers others (doesn't bother me).  Does anyone recommend any that are decent?

And we officially have yet another keyboard discussion thread... lol.
You're welcome! :)

Pff... quiet office environments... I've been using my Model M in my office for years and just shrug off the complaints.
Maybe I have the wrong idea about this.  I would much rather use a keyboard I like than one that is merely "good enough".  We shall see.

I have up to 30 Model M keyboards stored in my office that I've saved from being sent to scrap. Only if I could sneak them out.
If you can, do you have plans for them?

Last edited by a moderator:
 I wouldn't mind a lovely nice old keyboard. They're tricky to find where I live. 

But trying to get back on some what of  a off topic.. bandwagon topic jumping.

I think my wearing downs keys comes from the fact I tend to "slide" around is seems I don't type in a normal fashion. I use my entire left hand and have my pinky lingering over the capslock and shift. My right hand has three fingers lingering at all times over  :" keys as well as enter and the opposite shift. So I can type in bursts of three. Its a really odd system I think has emerged from me learning how to type fast from wc3 and games like that, and even maybe my time playing FPS with the arrow keys so everything needs to be close by. 

My "sliding" style of typing is probably why I'm perfectly fine with using the pandora as a typewriter. The pyra with its numerous shoulder buttons are a feature I'm eager to try out, especially the one mapped to FN... That is something I wish I could do to the pandora, yet sadly I can't.

I'm really looking forward for the pyra prototype phase to exactly see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back