Always on? Always connected?

SAS

OK, maybe the answer is obvious, but I will still ask :$ Can Pyra be used as an always on device? Like most current smartphones who can keep their online connectivity even when screen is off? So that /for example/ IM or e-mail clients can receive notifications?

Basically, if I close the lid of the Pyra - can I expect that when I open it any messages sent meantime will be readily available on the device?

Greaaat :cool:

When I get the Pyra - I will ask about the proper setup ;)

But I have to meantion not at this State of the Development: the Powersave Function is currently not implemented, as it was more important now to get the OS running, to have something for the Massproduktion, so I would suggest it’s needs to Shutdown when it’s get put in your pocket,
If not, it’s Batterie could get empty every half day..
But could be i misunderstood something..

But after everything else is done, may they will work on the Power Saving Funktion just like whe have now on Pandora

Thanks - I suppose that when Pyra is ready for shipment of preorders - these issues will be addressed. If not - just wait :cool:

Yes, I hope that the extra eyes of more everyday users will persuade them or other devs to investigate what's actually draining the battery, although I think they first should work out what drains the battery when the unit is off. Kernel developers can be curiously shortsighted and can seem entirely satisfied when a unit actually boots (probably because they know how much work that actually was).

if a script could be run when the cover is closed/opened, then theoretically cpufreq could be run to throttle the cpu, if that helps with power usage.

Yes, that should be part of it, along with things like blanking the screen backlight, and disabling specific peripherals (some you may want to keep on). Personally I'd like the cpu to stay awake enough to decode ogg and mp3 audio in real time, but my experience with the pandora shows that doesn't actually take a lot, so provided it doesn't mute the headphones, I can listen to my podcasts and music on the go.

That's all doable in scripting, so this sounds like a simple problem to solve.

MP3 requires like 50 MHz (on x86) so throttling will work fine. :)

I'd say on closing the lid tasks, that enhance UX should be paused or get a memo to take it slow. Leave the frequency to the governor or you'll have some users soon, that complain about the performance, when they want something compiled without watching it happen or something like that.

What I want to say is, the frequency be throttled, when there's little to do, when things get hot, and maybe a bit extra throttling when the battery is getting low (?), and someting separate should see that nothing or little gets done, that only fully makes sense when the screen is on.
just listening to music, listening to the modem, check for new email on an interval = not too demanding => throttling
compiling, encoding, ... => power no matter where the lid is

Back