Aluminium Case being made!

5 sold :) Really nice initiative. And i hope the outcome is that the pyra is also offered in Alu.

Never been happy with the plastic case, and i know ill use my pandora more if i can have it be aluminium.

Edit: 6 sold. Very good considering not many know about it yet.

Wondering what kind of screws are to be used? Torx was most popular in the other casethread because it absolutely prevents using the wrong bit for the screw.

Also hoping IDV can share his thoughts on offering an alu case, design and so on.

Im assuming the casefiles for the alucase will also be open?

I put up all the information i could assemble here http://pandorawiki.org/Case#Aluminium

Last edited by a moderator:
I will order a couple. A realistic rendering or a form of product depiction would most certainly motivate more Pandora users to place the pre-order towards goal. As far as we know of the product visually are two shades of colors that are approximately $130 each. :unsure:

Niiiiice - just joined the list. Gives me an excuse to buy a new LCD at the same time :)

Edit: brb making bank withdrawal, note to self don't forget mask and gun.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/f4K6ZxDwi34?feature=oembed
I was thinking it would go more like this. :D

h64_F1_C922.jpg

One thing I forgot to ask.

Will there be issues with the surface if I mod the case (drilling holes and filing tiny notches in the upper edge of the bezel)?

I want to keep my shoulder button and keyboard light mod.

bottom.jpgDSC_0290.jpg

Will there be issues with the surface if I mod the case (drilling holes and filing tiny notches in the upper edge of the bezel)?

Hate to say this but this question is irrelevant.  Of course you would have to remod all that stuff for the new case.  IDV and Ed wouldn't, or shouldn't care to, give all possible considerations to all mods that have been done to the Pandora out there and work them into this new aluminum case.    

Hate to say this but this question is irrelevant.  Of course you would have to remod all that stuff for the new case.  IDV and Ed wouldn't, or shouldn't care to, give all possible considerations to all mods that have been done to the Pandora out there and work them into this new aluminum case.    
Sure. Maybe I should have asked the question in another way:

I mean, I will do the mods on my own, but I wonder if someone has a bit experience with the material and can tell me if there is a chance mess up the whole surface.

Sure. Maybe I should have asked the question in another way:

I mean, I will do the mods on my own, but I wonder if someone has a bit experience with the material and can tell me if there is a chance mess up the whole surface.

You can get a device for making an indentation in metal sheeting to guide your initial pilot drill (I forget what they are called, but they're basically analogous to the awl you can use in woodworking - or plastics). They're very handy for making sure the drill goes where you want it to, as unlike wood you can't easily push the bit in by hand to make sure it starts off in the right place and doesn't skate on the surface.

I was trying to figure out a good method for passivation of the case if the raw/chrome look were desired, but this and this also may help prevent corrosion from any modifications made.

Sounds like the right solution can be applied at room temp.

Concerning modding:

AW7075 is very easy to drill and mill (that's the major reason why I use this stuff) as long as you have got a sharp HSS drill (a normal HSS steell drill will do the job - but do NOT use drills for stainless steel - they might pull themselves into the material, resulting in a broken drill).

The coating is some harder than HSS, which means that it will eat up the cutting edge a bit every time you drill through the coating. It would be a good idea to grind away the coating at the future bore hole using a "Dremel" grinder (or anything alike) and a diamond grinding bit.

Or you use a new drill every third hole ...

However, you will need a pilot pit (using a center punch) and a precise bench drill, otherwise the holes will be anywhere but not necessarily where you want them.

@ IDV : Im just curious about a couple of things.

How many parts does the Al-Case consists of ?
Are the shoulder buttons made of Aluminium as well ?
Did you redesign the CAD-Models yourself ?
Whats the weight of the Al-Case you are aiming for ?
Whats the minimum thickness of the Aluminium case you are planning so far ?
Can you tell me the brand and type of 5-axis milling machine you mentioned before ?

Whats the cost per hour of that machinery ?
You have already a prototype of a milled Al-Case in front of you ?
How many years of CAD/CAM experience can you refer to ?
And which software-knowledge are we talking about ?
You are going to mill the parts yourself ?
You ever stood in front of a milling machine ?
When did you graduate from TH-Karlsruhe ?
What happens if the production costs exceed the collected amount of preorder money ?

Thank you in advance ...

@ IDV : Im just curious about a couple of things.

How many parts does the Al-Case consists of ?

Are the shoulder buttons made of Aluminium as well ?

Did you redesign the CAD-Models yourself ?

Whats the weight of the Al-Case you are aiming for ?

Whats the minimum thickness of the Aluminium case you are planning so far ?

Can you tell me the brand and type of 5-axis milling machine you mentioned before ?

You have already a prototype of a milled Al-Case in front of you ?

How many years of CAD/CAM experience can you refer to ?

And which software-knowledge are we talking about ?

You are going to mill the parts yourself ?

You ever stood in front of a milling machine ?

When did you graduate from TH-Karlsruhe ?

What happens if the production costs exceed the collected amount of preorder money ?

Thank you in advance ...
Ed partners with him so I think he's cool.  They make arrows :) http://www.idv-engineering.de/Flyer_Pfeile_engl_2.pdf

Back