Aluminium Case being made!

I wonder if the plastic wifi window could be designed to give it a retro-hardware look... 
Do you have any specific ideas?  This is a cool idea, but everything I initially think of is pretty much the same, wouldn't look good, and doesn't seem to fit the overall look of the Pandora.
Not specific ideas, no.   I did have a vague idea though that we might be able to draw some inspiration from some of Asmo's designs.   (see: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/11526-pandora-retro-concept-art/)

Or just add the Pandora logo in plastic like on the Pyra... make it translucent so people can add an LED if they want. :) That would probably get you good coverage, in one direction through the screen, in the other through the logo.
Except that the antenna isn't behind the Pandora logo - it's in the top left hand corner. (when looking at the screen)

- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
I was thinking lines, like the Apple II series (vents), DMG Game Boy, NES, C64,  and probably much more.  I think I might be ok with black plastic even for the grey case, to avoid the cost of producing 2 colors (or to include the retro look we can go for aged beige or grey :p ).  I don't think using that shade of grey on the black case would look good.  Maybe faux wood paneling.

If it was transparent aluminum it would make this all easier, and we could use clear plastic.  You could also make it any color you want.  "Aged beige or grey" is fun to say.

Edit:  The lines hint at retro consoles and computers, and give extra texture like Tenka and others may want.

I was thinking lines, like the Apple II series (vents), DMG Game Boy, NES, C64,  and probably much more.  I think I might be ok with black plastic even for the grey case, to avoid the cost of producing 2 colors (or to include the retro look we can go for aged beige or grey :p ).  I don't think using that shade of grey on the black case would look good.  Maybe faux wood paneling.

If it was transparent aluminum it would make this all easier, and we could use clear plastic.  You could also make it any color you want.  "Aged beige or grey" is fun to say.

Edit:  The lines hint at retro consoles and computers, and give extra texture like Tenka and others may want.
1) Vents are not needed for heat dissipation and would allow dust into the case.

2) Transparent aluminum does not exist. Do you mean natural/uncolored aluminum?

3) Spray painting a case would look terrible and the paint would chip off over time.

Just picked up a classic Pandora on eBay so I'm interested in this has preorders started. Also is it still possible to upgrade to the 1ghz at the Same time also I'm in the UK so will this cause a problem ?

Just picked up a classic Pandora on eBay so I'm interested in this has preorders started. Also is it still possible to upgrade to the 1ghz at the Same time also I'm in the UK so will this cause a problem ?
Preorders haven't started.I think it's very likely you'll be able to upgrade to the 1Ghz version at the same time.

isn't it already anodized to get the black or olivegreen color they propose?

isn't it already anodized to get the black or olivegreen color they propose?
 No idea then, maybe i miss some info. Anyway maybe they can buy it without the anodize process.
It most certainly is, and I think I've read it's even a kind of hard coat which isn't just there for the look of it. But I guess if you really want to and know how you could still just add another layer. (I don't know how to do this in practice, my only experience with anodizing is one time in school, long ago, when we anodized some stuff for fun. I think it's simple to do in principle, but to get an even, good coat is really hard)

I was thinking lines, like the Apple II series (vents), DMG Game Boy, NES, C64,  and probably much more.  I think I might be ok with black plastic even for the grey case, to avoid the cost of producing 2 colors (or to include the retro look we can go for aged beige or grey :p ).
A diagonal plastic inlet in the lid, rainbow-colored ... aiming basically at something like this:

specadore06.jpg

that would be awesome, especially on the black case (but it should also look good on the other one)!!

"ZX Specadore 64"?  :lol:

Alu Case especialy remembers me onto the splendid looking Tapwave Zodiac.

Tapwave_Zodiac2_640.jpg

Alu also can look good in dark grey/black for sure. :)

1) Vents are not needed for heat dissipation and would allow dust into the case.
2) Transparent aluminum does not exist. Do you mean natural/uncolored aluminum?

3) Spray painting a case would look terrible and the paint would chip off over time.
1) I didn't mean integrating vents.  I think the screen is not an area that needs a lot of cooling.  I tried to restructure that sentence before posting to avoid confusion, but failed.  What I was saying is that a lot of retro systems have lines on them, sometimes for vents, sometimes to improve grip, sometimes for looks or other reasons.  This is what I had in mind earlier when all my suggestions would have been basically the same.  It might suggest a retro console/computer look

2) This was a joke and reference to my previous comments in other threads related to transparent aluminum.  Transparent aluminum may indeed exist as it pertains to Star Trek, but we don't know since the chemical structure of it was never given AFAIK.

3)  If the interior of a transparent or translucent case is painted it can be extremely durable, with no damage to the paint due to normal use.  I have done this myself, and many others have as well.  I think there may be some commercial products that have used a similar process.

Oh, its for the pandora. Will one be made for the pyra too?
ED said it may happen if this is successful. 

I was thinking lines, like the Apple II series (vents), DMG Game Boy, NES, C64,  and probably much more.  I think I might be ok with black plastic even for the grey case, to avoid the cost of producing 2 colors (or to include the retro look we can go for aged beige or grey :p ).
A diagonal plastic inlet in the lid, rainbow-colored ... aiming basically at something like this:

specadore06.jpg

that would be awesome, especially on the black case (but it should also look good on the other one)!!
 Rainbows are another thing present on a variety of old hardware.  The 2 problems I think of are getting a small and affordable quantity of rainbow plastic pieces that aren't painted, and deciding which rainbow to use.  Also, some people may not want a rainbow on their expensive Pandora case, but I am with you.

Some additional retro rainbows include Atari 2600 Jr., old Apple logo, Commodore 64, Amiga.  Sometimes devices with these will also have the lines I mentioned (especially earlier Atari consoles, but those lack the rainbow), as can be seen in the picture above.

Back