Aluminium Case being made!

Time to answer ...

1. Hard coating is a special type of anodizing - but with a very hard and smooth surface. "Normal" anodizing leaves a surface which is porous in a microscopic scale.

2. No, you cannot add another anodizing layer on a hard coat

2a. Paint will not bond well on a hard coat surface

3. If someone wants to have special surfaces, please feel free to order the case "raw" - which is plain aluminum AW7075.

3a. AW7075 shows pretty strong corrosion (compared to other types of aluminum) if left blank.

4. Aluminum AW7075 is not good for color anodizing. The colors will look pretty pale with a yellow colour fault.

5. 99,50 Euro is already a very tough price. So I do not discuss any special features (unless they are paid extra).

6. The plastic "window" will be a black shiny piece of plastic inserted over the antenna. Perhaps I will engrave an antenna symbol into it.
    Maybe you will have to leave the lid open for best WIFI performance.

Any more questions?

no other possible color with that hard coating technique? both proposed color seems rather not apealing...

also ED: when ordering will we be able to pay a bit more to get a new LCD cable while we're opening the pandora anyway?

Is it possible to pick the color for each part individually, when ordering the case?

Is it possible to pick the color for each part individually, when ordering the case?
This depends on ED if he's willing to handle each part individually, however, see point 5 above.

no other possible color with that hard coating technique? both proposed color seems rather not apealing...

also ED: when ordering will we be able to pay a bit more to get a new LCD cable while we're opening the pandora anyway?
Yeah according to ED's original post, the color choices are a technical limitation of hard coating. I like both, personally. It is going to be hard to choose!

I dislike both, between a dull black or an awful military looking olive green...

6. The plastic "window" will be a black shiny piece of plastic inserted over the antenna. Perhaps I will engrave an antenna symbol into it.

Maybe you will have to leave the lid open for best WIFI performance.
So the "maybe" wifi issue is solved with this?

I dislike both, between a dull black or an awful military looking olive green...
I think the black will look good, but I see more of a dark silver than a full out olive green in that picture..

Are you saying dull black because black is dull? Or have you seen a sample of this particular black and think it is dull compared to other black?

I didn't think ED's picture was showing the jet black choice. I am expecting that we can get none more black.

no, I've not seen this particular black, it looks probably good I meant that I would have liked some nice green/blue/pink or other bright colors...

no, I've not seen this particular black, it looks probably good I meant that I would have liked some nice green/blue/pink or other bright colors...
Well, I think this means you're out of choice for colours if you want the aluminium case:

4. Aluminum AW7075 is not good for color anodizing. The colors will look pretty pale with a yellow colour fault.
Unless you find an alternative method of painting?

With the case files open, you might be able to get yourself a brightly coloured 3D printed case?

Well, I think this means you're out of choice for colours if you want the aluminium case:

Unless you find an alternative method of painting?

With the case files open, you might be able to get yourself a brightly coloured 3D printed case?
I guess you could additionally coat the whole case with Plasti Dip (sprayable liquid rubber in different colors). However, I've never tried that stuff. It's pretty expensive here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one of the people that likes both colors.  I am not a big fan of bright colors unless they are green, and 2 of my other favorite colors are black and grey.  I too see the grey as less OD (olive drab) and more grey with a tint to it.  I am pretty sure I have encountered this color a few times and like it.  If I could get OD as a choice I would really have a problem (I like OD), as it is already a close call between the 2 existing choices, but I have so many black things already...

Another way to look at it is the black is a pocket-sized ThinkPad.  The grey with "military" greenishness suggests durability and that it can be used outside.  At least in my head.

Yep, we need pictures. We already know the silver is not a military green, assuming my screen is anywhere near colour-correct. If we had pictures of a sample of black then we could refer to the pictures, not the descriptions.

So or so we first have to see the finished cases and then we can decide which one looks best. ^^
I know I am jumping the gun a bit, but I like the look of the aluminum one best.
I like the sample provided for mouse grey. I also like the idea of jet black. Choosing will definitely depend on samples of the whole case together..

Rainbows are another thing present on a variety of old hardware.  The 2 problems I think of are getting a small and affordable quantity of rainbow plastic pieces that aren't painted, and deciding which rainbow to use.  Also, some people may not want a rainbow on their expensive Pandora case, but I am with you.
Probably because the gay scene has established this symbol and I doubt that the majoritiy of Pyra users will fit the bill. ;)

Back