Alternate Frontend For Mame

Yes, it takes a while to copy 700+ image files to a the memory card. It takes just as long to delete them.

If you guys make any slick filters, I would be interested is seeing them.

...or if your filters crash the program.

PSyMastR posted on Oct 25 2005 at 01:07 AM said:
Also, do you know of any top down plane games, with those blue/red/purple weapon upgrades. I forgot the names of those games.

I think you're talking about Raiden?

Best to try the PC Engine or Megadrive versions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Franxis posted on Oct 25 2005 at 12:20 AM said:
DaveC, the problem is that frontend executable can't send his name to launched executable, they have a fixed name in their code. TheGrimReaper had problems sending long string parameters from frontend to launched executables. Then it will be a problem now to go back to general frontend. Normal fxe's suppose mamegp32.fxe and Drz80 fxe's suppose mamegpdr.fxe. I don't know about optimized single game fxe's, probably the code to get launched game is disabled.

Ok so it is a limit with thegrimreapers frontend.

Ok Zaq121:

Do you think it possible in your frontend? That is have an editable config file that would automatically load the appropriate FXE (normal, DrZ80, optimized single) when a game is selected?

For example when MrDO is selected it would load the normal fxe because it is broke with DrZ80. When Ghosts n Goblins is selected it would load the single optimized fxe. When Mappy was selected it would load the DrZ80 version.

If this was possible it would be really nice as it would clean up and streamline. After it is set up you wouldn't need to remember what works best with what.

DaveC posted on Oct 25 2005 at 03:26 AM said:
Do you think it possible in your frontend? That is have an editable config file that would automatically load the appropriate FXE (normal, DrZ80, optimized single) when a game is selected?

Yes, it shouldn't be too hard (I think).

I didn't even notice the DrZ80 versions were included in mamegp 1.9, as I usually just download the source and compile my own copies.

That being said, I can make the front end support it, but I obviously don't know what runs better under what engine. You guys will have to come up with a good cofiguration file.

zaq121 posted on Oct 25 2005 at 03:39 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 25 2005 at 03:26 AM said:
Do you think it possible in your frontend?  That is have an editable config file that would automatically load the appropriate FXE (normal, DrZ80, optimized single) when a game is selected?

Yes, it shouldn't be too hard (I think).

I didn't even notice the DrZ80 versions were included in mamegp 1.9, as I usually just download the source and compile my own copies.

That being said, I can make the front end support it, but I obviously don't know what runs better under what engine. You guys will have to come up with a good cofiguration file.

That is fine. The whole community is here to test. It shouldn't be too long before a perfect config file is sussed out by us. We just need the feature in the front end we can take it from there :)

gaterooze posted on Oct 24 2005 at 09:42 PM said:
PSyMastR posted on Oct 25 2005 at 01:07 AM said:
Also, do you know of any top down plane games, with those blue/red/purple weapon upgrades. I forgot the names of those games.

I think you're talking about Raiden?

Best to try the PC Engine or Megadrive versions.
Ya. Thats it :D Um, my cousin has it on his atari Jaguar...
But, Ive played different games in the arcade that were similar...

Wow, if you could get some of those features mentioned, that would be awsome!

Also, I don't know a lot about this, but how do the filters work?

I'm copying over my complete MAME 0.34 collection right now (was planning to do it earlier, just never got around to it).

EDIT: Talking about adding those compatability things, is there a way to make a compatability file based off of warmfluffyuk's compatability site so that you can see how well the game works on the gp32? (avoid testing out games just to find they don't work)

EDIT: also, could you make it so that after you play a game and then exit back to the game list, the cursor is where you left it? (right on the game you just played) This would help me a lot as I go through the games looking for good ones (I usually just go through the alphabet)

Ok, I have updated the frontend replacement.

If you have altered your config file, filter groups must now be preceeded with Filter-Group=. (to be consistant with the rest of the config file). Otherwise just copy the new frontend.cfg file into your /gpmm/mamegp32/cfg directory.

You can now specifiy driver locations
Code:
driver-locations
{
  standard "/gpmm/mamegp32"
  drz80 "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80"
}

as well as a default engine. This option can be changed at runtime via the menu.
Code:
default-driver-location="standard"

You can specify optimized substitutes. This is where you will hard code an engine as well. If you want a game to always play with the standard driver or always with the drz80 driver, specify it here.

These subsitutes can be turned on and off in the menu at run time.
Code:
game-optimized-drivers
{
  bktigerb	"/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_blk.fxe"
  blktiger	"/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_blk.fxe"
  gngcross	"/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_gng.fxe"  
  gngt  	"/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_gng.fxe"  
  gng    "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_gng.fxe"  
  sidearjp	"/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_sda.fxe"  
  sidearmr	"/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_sda.fxe"  
  sidearms	"/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_sda.fxe"  
  tehkanwc	"/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_twc.fxe"  
}

Compiled
Compiled (blu+)
Source

This sounds really good! We can now choose which core to use to play different games, correct? I don't exactly understand everything you said, so could you please simplify it for the people who aren't as technical?

EDIT: Wow, just tried this out, its amazing! Thanks zaq121!

deadlychicken22 posted on Oct 26 2005 at 02:13 AM said:
This sounds really good! We can now choose which core to use to play different games, correct? I don't exactly understand everything you said, so could you please simplify it for the people who aren't as technical?
At work, I get non programmers to write my instructions for me. It seems that I don't use the same english as normal people.

You understand correctly.

Basically, you can setup cores and choose between them. If Franxis compiles a third or forth test core set, you can use those too.

The second part of the change I made allows you to force games to run with a specific fxe driver. Whether the game just doesn't run well on a certain core, or you want to run one of the optimized versions.

Ok, thanks, thats great! Not sure if this has to do with your frontend or with the new version of mamegp, but how do I switch the key configuration? (When I press left I am now going up, and when I press up I am going right :blink: ). There's a folder called KEY with a readme that says "Controls configuration files are here!" but there aren't any other files in there.....

deadlychicken22 posted on Oct 26 2005 at 02:49 AM said:
Ok, thanks, thats great! Not sure if this has to do with your frontend or with the new version of mamegp, but how do I switch the key configuration? (When I press left I am now going up, and when I press up I am going right :blink: ). There's a folder called KEY with a readme that says "Controls configuration files are here!" but there aren't any other files in there.....

I think that would be mamegp. I haven't messed with keys in it yet.

zaq121 posted on Oct 26 2005 at 02:04 AM said:
Ok, I have updated the frontend replacement.

If you have altered your config file, filter groups must now be preceeded with Filter-Group=.  (to be consistant with the rest of the config file).  Otherwise just copy the new frontend.cfg file into your /gpmm/mamegp32/cfg directory.

Cool. Is there a way to make it so it only shows the ROMs that I have on the card? It shows every game now whether I have it on there or not. Many times I will select something not there and it gives "error no available games found " message. This would also pare down the list if it only lists the games on the card.

Also it is not displaying the background pic with all of the colors (minor)

Great work though :)

DaveC posted on Oct 27 2005 at 02:05 AM said:
Is there a way to make it so it only shows the ROMs that I have on the card? It shows every game now whether I have it on there or not.

Yeah, I can re-emplement that. I'll see if I can't get that done tomorrow.

zaq121 posted on Oct 27 2005 at 02:49 AM said:
DaveC posted on Oct 27 2005 at 02:05 AM said:
Is there a way to make it so it only shows the ROMs that I have on the card?  It shows every game now whether I have it on there or not.

Yeah, I can re-emplement that. I'll see if I can't get that done tomorrow.

Maybe you could just read in the file that the other frontend creates? Would save time at first until you get your own code for that done. Or not...

Great! I like your frontend for MAME very much. I play a lot of MAME on my PC and often I select a game because of the screenshot,
so your frontend is a great help for me.
But I have problem on GP32blu+:
0.01 blu plus: White bar - Resets the GP
0.02 blu plus: White bar - Works great (besides white bar)
I have tried also the non blu_plus versions, but I always have the white bar.

Hello again to all, good because I resort again to you, for seeing if somebody that has proven it me saqua of doubts.

The subject is the following one I have formed a list of favorites through Frontend de Zaq121, and is that like demons not to become so that in the list, they leave single the games to me that I want and not all, for example without I put in the list of favorites instruction 1943, because they leave 1943 (JAPAN) to me, 1943 (U.S.), and 1943 (KAI), but is that single I want that leaves the 1943 (JAPAN), not, to see if somebody that already has created a list of favorites can say the commando to me, that I must use so that leaves single the name to me

Aqui I put to you since I have formed it and to see if you are able some to say to me, where this the failure thanks beforehand.

FILE FRONTED CFG:

# If you want your default filter group to be by the Auto-FXE filter,
# Default-Filter-Group="By FXE Driver"

Default-Filter-Group="Mis Favoritos"
Default-Filter="Preferidos"

Repeat-Delay=500
Repeat-Rate=50

Auto-FXE-Filter=Yes
Update-Image-Freq=250

default-driver-location="standard"
driver-locations
{
standard "/gpmm/mamegp32"
drz80 "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80"
}

game-optimized-drivers
{
bktigerb "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_blk.fxe"
blktiger "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_blk.fxe"
gngcross "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_gng.fxe"
gngt "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_gng.fxe"
gng "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_gng.fxe"
sidearjp "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_sda.fxe"
sidearmr "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_sda.fxe"
sidearms "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_sda.fxe"
tehkanwc "/gpmm/mamegp32/mame_twc.fxe"
Solomon "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mtecmo.fxe"
1943jap "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mcapcom.fxe"
kungfum "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mirem.fxe"
brkthru "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mdataeas.fxe"
galaga "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mnamco.fxe"
gauntlet "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/m68000.fxe"
gaunt2 "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/m68000.fxe"
gberet "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mkonami.fxe"
exprraid "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mdataeas.fxe"
bionicc2 "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/m68000.fxe"
boblbobl "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mtaito.fxe"
myhero "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/msega.fxe"
pingpong "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mkonami.fxe"
pkunwarj "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/mothers.fxe"
rygar2 "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/tecmo.fxe"
tnzs "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/motaito.fxe"
tnzs2 "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/motaito.fxe"
terracra "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/m68000.fxe"
terracre "/gpmm/mamegp32/drz80/m68000.fxe"
}

Filter-Group="By Alphabet"
{
"#-B" Desc Starts with ( 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0,A,B )
"C-E" Desc Starts with ( C,D,E )
"F-H" Desc Starts with ( F,G,H )
"I-L" Desc Starts with ( I,J,K,L )
"M-O" Desc Starts with ( M,N,O )
"P-R" Desc Starts with ( P,Q,R )
"S" Desc Starts with ( S )
"T" Desc Starts with ( T )
"U-Z" Desc Starts with ( U,V,W,X,Y,Z )
}

Filter-Group="Mis Favoritos"
{
"Preferidos" Desc Starts with ( 1943,Amigo,Arkanoid,Bagman,Black,Bobble,Bomb,Break ,Circus,City,Commando,Donkey,Double,Exed,Express,F rogger,Galaga,Galaxian,Gauntlet,Green,Ghosts,Gunsm oke,HigeMaru,I,Jackal,Jail,King,Klax,Kung,Legendar y,Make,Mario,Mat,Moon,Motos,My,pac,pang,Pengo,phoe nix,ping,pitfall,Penguin,Psychic,Rally,Rescue,Ryga r,Scramble,Sega,Shao,Sidearms,Snow,Solomon,Son,Ted dyBoy,Tehkan,Terra,The,Tiger,Time,Track,Tetris,tur pin,Vigilante,Vulgus,Wonder,Xevios,Xain,Yie )

"1943" desc contains 1943
"Amigo" desc contains Amigo
"Arkanoid" desc contains Arkanoid
"Bagman" desc contains Bagman
"Black" desc contains Black
"Bobble" desc contains Bobble
"Bomb" desc contains Bomb
"Break" desc contains Break
"Circus" desc contains Circus
"City" desc contains City
"Commando" desc contains Commando
"Donkey" desc contains Donkey
"Double" desc contains Double
"Exed" desc contains Exed
"Express" desc contains Express
"Frogger" desc contains Frogger
"Galaga" desc contains Galaga
"Galaxian" desc contains Galaxian
"Gauntlet" desc contains Gauntlet
"Green" desc contains Green
"Ghosts" desc contains Ghosts
"Gunsmoke" desc contains Gunsmoke
"HigeMaru" desc contains HigeMaru
"Imsorry" desc contains rry
"Jackal" desc contains Jackal
"Jail" desc contains Jail
"King" desc contains King
"Klax" desc contains Klax
"Kung" desc contains Kung
"Legendary" desc contains Legendary
"Make" desc contains Make
"Mario" desc contains Mario
"Mat" desc contains Mat
"Moon" desc contains Moon
"Motos" desc contains Motos
"My" desc contains My
"Pac-Man" desc regexp (pac.*man) EXCLUDE (pac man hardware|space panic)
"pang" desc contains pang
"Pengo" desc contains Pengo
"phoenix" desc contains phoenix
"ping" desc contains ping
"Pitfall" desc contains pitfall
"Penguin" desc contains Penguin
"Psychic" desc contains Psychic
"Rally" desc contains Rally
"Rescue" desc contains Rescue
"Rygar" desc contains Rygar
"Scramble" desc contains Scramble
"Sega" desc contains Sega
"Shao" desc contains Shao
"Sidearms" desc contains Sidearms
"Snow" desc contains Snow
"Solomon" desc contains Solomo
"Son" desc contains Son
"TeddyBoy" desc contains TeddyBoy
"Tehkan" desc contains Tehkan
"Terra" desc contains Terra
"The" desc contains The
"Tiger" desc contains Tiger
"Time" desc contains Time
"Track" desc contains Track
"Tetris" desc contains Tetris
"turpin" desc contains turpin
"Vigilante" desc contains Vigilante
"Vulgus" desc contains Vulgus
"Wonder" desc contains Wonder
"Xevios" desc contains Xevios
"Xain" desc contains Xain
"Yie" desc contains Yie
}

Great! I like your frontend for MAME very much. I play a lot of MAME on my PC and often I select a game because of the screenshot,
so your frontend is a great help for me.
But I have problem on GP32blu+:
0.01 blu plus: White bar - Resets the GP
0.02 blu plus: White bar - Works great (besides white bar)
I have tried also the non blu_plus versions, but I always have the white bar.

Does the normal compiled version and the blu+ version look the same on a blu+?

All I have the ability to do is link to the library libc_bluplus.a instead of libc.a.... I was hoping that was enough.

I wish I could see a picture of this white bar.... Does anyone know what I need to do to get rid of it?

Back