Allways a Arm Lenght Distance, or how to measure ?

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
To splitt the Measuring Discussion a bit from the more important Pyra Assembly Thread, i would like to put the rest of this discussion i this thread..
Some are using the metric System (mostly in Europe), some the imperial ..

here is something most Americans dont know...... Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975
The problem was that it was not compulsary.
just found this as well....
In 1866, the U.S. Congress authorized the use of the metric system and almost a decade later America became one of 17 original signatory nations to the Treaty of the Meter. A more modern system was approved in 1960 and is commonly known as SI or the International System of Units.

Another thing i noticed: if you want to tell your body weight, you say it in kg (62 kg for me whitouth edc , but if you want to tell how much weight you lost, you say it in metric pounts (50 pounts sounds a lot but are just 25 kg..)

When tt comes to health I believe that it's probably more meaningful to state it in percentages. E.g. losing 10KG is pretty impressive if you were 70KG when you started but it's not as impressive if you were 300KG at the start. I also believe that in the first case it would be much more noticeable both in regards to health and in regards to looks.

Another thing i noticed: if you want to tell your body weight, you say it in kg (62 kg for me whitouth edc , but if you want to tell how much weight you lost, you say it in metric pounts (50 pounts sounds a lot but are just 25 kg..)
Assuming you're talking about pounds, the ones there are a little more than 2kg to each one, there's nothing metric about them. They're entirely imperial.

Assuming you're talking about pounds, the ones there are a little more than 2kg to each one, there's nothing metric about them. They're entirely imperial.
(de) Pfund (which translates to pound) in German is a colloquial term and is understood as 500g.

As the Pyra is greek, i would say its "Pyrae", and as its the successor of the Pandora, in Germany whe dont say "die Pyra" or "der Pyra", whe say "Düt Pyra" as whe had a poll on the German Board long ago ^^

That makes no sense.

If it was ancient Greek, considering it's written, it would have been "πυρά" that has "πυρές" as plural; obviously it is not.

If it was ancient Latin, it would have been "pyra" or "PYRA" as there is no capitalization rule for names here, with "pyrae" or "PYRAE" as plural. It could be medieval Latin, but then "Pyra" would be a reference to "the name of the place on Mount Œta where Hercules is said to have burned himself" so it's a proper noun and has no plural in English (there's only one, so there's no need or point in making a plural...).

Now, considering you are writing in English and Pyra is the name of a product (a brand name, not a proper name), it gets its plural adding a "s", so you can buy three Pyras or three Dragonbox Pyras and take your Pyra to the park or wherever you want from September on.

Problem solved for English, courtesy of Mr. Huddleston & Mr. Pullum. For Czech, German, Chinese or whatever, you may want to check the grammar of those.

As whe have Corona, and the Pyra is quite exclusive, i dotnt think i would ever see another Pyra in Real Live than my Own, only on Streams or in Videos or Pictures , in the Internet so for me there is no real "Plural"
May be im on a Unimog Convention, and because whe plan to buy a bigger Unimog, its could be much farer away then the Conventions whe went whit our 406, so maybe there where Pyra Owners, but until then, i know only one Pyra..

Yes, but we still need a way to refer to all Pyra units out there, e.g. 'An update is ready for all of your P*' or 'What's the best game for our P*'.

The goddess Pyrrha is Greek, and is a feminine name. Amusingly it may have been one of the names that Achilles adopted when disguised as a maid, which confuses some things there slightly, but in the main it almost always indicates femininity. While the name 'Pyra' doesn't require that knowledge, we might still refer to our Pyra units as she legitimately, rather than the more normal 'it' in English at least.

But getting back to the plural, in English at least plurals lose their gender. I think that's true in French as well; they'd be 'nous P*' for our Pyra units or 'ils P*' for their Pyra, assuming the majority of their owners are masculine. I can't speak for other languages. But we still need to decide between Pyras, Pyri, Pyrae* for P*

*I vote against Pyrae personally, because that seems to be a Latinate plural, and Pyrrha wasn't some Roman lady.

That makes no sense.

If it was ancient Greek, considering it's written, it would have been "πυρά" that has "πυρές" as plural; obviously it is not.

If it was ancient Latin, it would have been "pyra" or "PYRA" as there is no capitalization rule for names here, with "pyrae" or "PYRAE" as plural. It could be medieval Latin, but then "Pyra" would be a reference to "the name of the place on Mount Œta where Hercules is said to have burned himself" so it's a proper noun and has no plural in English (there's only one, so there's no need or point in making a plural...).

Now, considering you are writing in English and Pyra is the name of a product (a brand name, not a proper name), it gets its plural adding a "s", so you can buy three Pyras or three Dragonbox Pyras and take your Pyra to the park or wherever you want from September on.

Problem solved for English, courtesy of Mr. Huddleston & Mr. Pullum. For Czech, German, Chinese or whatever, you may want to check the grammar of those.
What you said makes no sense. It's "Pyrae" because it sounds cooler and makes us look awesome when we use it.

Problem solved for cool people. For normies, you may want to check the quoted post.

What you said makes no sense. It's "Pyrae" because it sounds cooler and makes us look awesome when we use it.

Problem solved for cool people. For normies, you may want to check the quoted post.

Get out of town!

Cool people buy i*things* in order to attach them to sticks and flood Instagram with selfies. You obviously have no idea :D

I'll just paint an "i" before my iPyra's logo and buy a selfie stick for it. It does not matter that it has no camera, it still looks cool. Besides, I can still use it as a microphone and then just describe how I look while holding up the Pyra. 1000 words say as much as 1 picture.

Y'know if you care that much about a camera I seem to recall there being a thread around here on the best way to modify a pyra to hack one in... maybe it's time to do some grave-digging... ;)

-Neelix

I too remember that there has been talk about that. That's the only advantage of lacking a camera: it seperates the boys from the men and rewards the men with hacked in cameras.

Back