All Refunds Not Sent Yet

Eniko said:
I have a question for those who don't want to reorder and are balking at losing money because of currency conversion: would it help if you looked at this as reordering the amount you got refunded and getting a Pandora, or not reordering and paying $30 (or whatever you "lost" in the conversion) to get absolutely nothing?

I'm sure nobody will be convinced by me though, but this is how I see it: you wanted a Pandora, you can either reorder and get what you wanted, or lose money and not get what you wanted. If you are not reordering because you couldn't afford to spend the money on a Pandora to begin with then that has nothing to do with this banking fiasco; you probably should've thought of that before you preordered at all.

I think you missed a few details - whoever decides to reorder will have to pay way more than refunded - a few percent price hike by "open pandora inc." and another comission to bank/credit card.

In essence, we have a blackmail offer from Pandora - either accept a loss of 30$ and get nothing or pay extra 20$ (probably more) and wait for the next trick.

Last edited by a moderator:
aq21 said:
In essence, we have a blackmail offer from Pandora - either accept a loss of 30$ and get nothing or pay extra 20$ (probably more) and wait for the next trick.
Not true. The majority of refundees (Brits, from what I've heard of the region split) can send a free bank transfer, so there will be exactly $0 extra to pay. Myself in Australia could pay an extra $10 for an international transfer now, or about $5-10 for the credit card fee.

Remember, OpenPadora does not get ANY of the figures you suppose above, so why would it be a "trick" on their part? They can only lose out of all of this.

aq21 said:
I think you missed a few details - whoever decides to reorder will have to pay way more than refunded - a few percent price hike by "open pandora inc." and another comission to bank/credit card.
Way more? I paid GBP 233.98 via CC on 30/09, got refunded GBP 233.98 on 24/11, transferred GBP 233.98 over again a few days later. Currency conversion fees were minuscule, transfer was ~GBP 20. So I paid 8.5% additionally in transfer fee. That's not way more, in fact, I consider it to be entirely reasonable for the memory upgrade as I saw the 128MB as Pandora's weakest aspect.

If you reorder with CC, any additional costs over the initial sum you paid and were refunded are unlikely to exceed that, or you should rethink your choice of bank/CC provider.

Salsa strikes again, you've been tricked into thinking that the upcharge is justified since you get more memory....that was supposed to be a gree upgrade lol. Gunpei...I think the majority of us who have the problen are not Brits but from the USA. There is no such thing as a free bank transfer, and the majority of them are around $45 a pop. Furthermore, I want to reply to some thread earlier where the author indicated those of us who came from engadget or other places should essentially stop whinig, well if my third eye is correct, the "sell-out" so to speak wouldnt have been made possible without that press. Anyone disagree???

zeropro said:
that was supposed to be a gree upgrade lol.
As far as I remember, RAM upgrade was presented as compensation for additional troubles incurred due to the refund hullabaloo. 'Troubles' for me, in this case, meant GBP 20 and 5 minutes on my laptop, for which I consider the RAM upgrade to be compensation enough.

Look, anyone who bothered to read up on the project before throwing their money out couldn't have avoided noticing that we're not exactly dealing with Sony or Nintendo here. We knowingly pre-paid for device yet to be assembled, devised by a group of hobbyists with no large-scale commercial backing.

I.e., anyone who pre-ordered knowingly took a risk; admittedly a low risk, but a risk nonetheless. Taking risks with your money is commonly called gambling, and anyone who gambles with money they can't afford to lose is a numpty.

edit: for the yanks out there - a numpty is commonly defined as someone who does not, and never will, have a clue.

salasg is correct -- the RAM upgrade was specifically stated to compensate for the reordering. The 2nd batch has to pay a higher price for the upgraded Pandora.

And bank transfers $45? Nope. Another US fella's cost $30 and even that is higher than usual.

I'd like to add that my refund email came on 11/26 and no refund has been sent yet to me in the good ole' USA as of 12/06 for my $700+ preorder. :(

My enthusiasm for the project has partially waned with delay after promise after delay, but I have to stay in with my order because i'll lose a portion of my money due to rate instability if I bail. I wasn't expecting perfection, but I did expect a bit more from the team. I do hope we get a credit card reorder page up before the rates change in my disfavor.

As I said, if I could jump ship I would and wait for the second batch boat to pick me up, but that won't happen, for there being really no choice left to me and to others in this mess. Just have to swim alone in stormy waters until the first batch boat leaves port to pick us up after they check and recheck for leaks. :)

rmm21 said:
My enthusiasm for the project has partially waned with delay after promise after delay,
Perhaps you didn't have much enthusiasm to begin with.
The absolute, earliest possible, not promised date for Pandora's release was November 30th.
It is now December 6th.
Geez, six days in from the most optimistic possible ship date, and your enthusiasm is waning.
Amazing...

Zeropro you're being very quick to demonize people for "jumping in the fire" and "striking again" while spreading your own unfounded theories about what's going on. But since you seem so keen on it, let me dissect your arguments: (could do with paragraphs by the way)
Eniko let me make this clear for you. Those of us who have consumer minds see and feel that at this point, there is no proof that those of you who are reordering are going to get anything either. Not one finished pandora has yet to be seen on this earth. It amazes me that people think this will actually be shipping this month or next, when there is still devwork going on, and the case isnt even designed.

The first finished Pandora will be assembled within the week, according to Craig's latest update. And while you point out that there is no proof that people who reorder are going to get anything (which I find debatable, but that aside) there is equally no proof that those who reorder won't get anything, so how does that make your position any more tenable than mine?
Secondly I cant speak for everybody else but money is not the deciding factor for me, Im doing well in that category. this is strictly about principle and the fact that a company who has consumers would allow these mistakes to e made without saying one bloody thing to quell it.

It's not a mistake made by the company, it's a mistake made by a bank which freaked out due to the current financial climate. It's totally out of their hands, so how did they allow it to happen? Were they supposed to make the bank not insist on the refund process through the sheer power of telepathy or something? So this whole argument is bogus.
Im confident tht there is much more to the banking fiasco than we are being told, and it has nothing to do with lawyers etc. Why would lawyers even be involved? Some people kill me.

So wait, you're putting the onus of proof that we'll get a Pandora on the rest of us, and then spout off completely unfounded rumors? You have no basis for saying this, but somehow you don't need any proof, while the rest of us do? Tad hypocritical, don't you think?
Be glad Im getting a refund at all? Are you serious? obviously you arent aware of this thing called jurisprudence and the legal system.

Cause nobody's ever been swindled out of money before, right? My point wasn't that people who didn't look before they leaped should be glad they're getting a refund at all because the devs don't need to do that. They do, I'm just saying if you make a habit of leaping before you look eventually you'll leap into a real scam where a conman goes off with your money. Be glad the devs aren't scammers, and that you learned to look before you leap. And if you specifically did look before you leapt then: A) that wasn't even referring to you, so why are you so upset, and B) you knew the risks.
I see you are a dev and thats great but dont attempt to be a businessman or woman and try to chastise me for being pissed at the most unorganized console launch in history

I'm not a dev.
Salsa strikes again, you've been tricked into thinking that the upcharge is justified since you get more memory....that was supposed to be a gree upgrade lol.

A free update to make up for the banking fiasco. No, you cannot shout about one part of that equation and then leave the other part out.
Gunpei...I think the majority of us who have the problen are not Brits but from the USA. There is no such thing as a free bank transfer, and the majority of them are around $45 a pop.

Then wait for the credit card reordering to go online and pay only $10 more. The request for people to do a bank transfer instead of reordering by credit or debit card was just that; a request. Nothing more.
Furthermore, I want to reply to some thread earlier where the author indicated those of us who came from engadget or other places should essentially stop whinig, well if my third eye is correct, the "sell-out" so to speak wouldnt have been made possible without that press. Anyone disagree???

Even if half the preorders came from that kind of press, and I was referring to people who didn't look before they leapt in, then that's still 2400 Pandora's that would've sold. The original maximum was set to only 3000 units, but they extended the number they'd make because of the overwhelming demand. Even if the 3000 wasn't hit it's not like they were going to make 3000 and then be stuck with 600 surplus, because they were only going to make as many units as there were preorders.

I fail to see your point here, are the devs supposed to be grateful for the exposure? Yes, probably, unless of course that exposure leads to people who didn't inform themselves beforehand of the risks of this particular product to request zany chargebacks for money lost in currency conversion and cause them financial troubles. And no matter what, if those people hadn't preordered it's not like it would've put a crimp in the devs' plans, so its not like those extra orders somehow "made the project succeed" or anything.

Ths wll b my lst rnt (nd th crwd scrms) nd ll brk dwn my rgmnts wtht ngr r mtn r t lst th pprnc f sch wth my srcsm, bcs m nthr ngry r mtnl bt t s hr gs:

1. Ppl shld stp blmng bnk nt wntng t tk mny d t wrldwd fnncl crss. Ths s n gnrnt sttmnt, n fct prv t m n bnk tht rfsd dpsts, r vn shw m tht ths bnk s nw t f bsnss ( nt gnn hppn), th fct s t wld b th thr wy rnd mr lkly (bt gn n n s gng t shr th mystry bnk wth s cmmn flk ll) bt rgrdlss...2. Crg nd C R rspnsbl fr th bnkng sttn s t s prt f thr spply chn s t spk. Y cnt clm flr n th bnks prt nd ttlly bslv crg nd C fr th ss, thy chs t g wth sm sdy smll bnk prbbly hgh rsk mrchnt, nd t ws bd bsnss dcsn pnt blnk , wld y bslv y thr cmpny f thy gv y ths crp? hghly dbt t 3. Nt dmnzng nyn n fct m hvng bt f fn wth ll f ths nd jst bcs hv n qlms bt spkng p dsnt mn m dmnzng ny f y. ky s th pdt sys thr wll b pndr ssmbld ths wk hw n th hll s tht pssbl whn w r vtng n th cs dsgn? r th lcd's rnt n yt? Y my s prttyp n ff pndr, bt hghly dbt ths s prd mdl, bt dgrss. 4. Tr thr s n prf tht rrdrs wnt gt pndr bt th brdn f prf s nt n m, thr's n wy t prv ngtv, nly th pssblty f dsprvng pstv (thnk bt tht n slwly) 5. Rmrs, hv nt strtd ny rmrs, n vryn f my pst hv nly cst lght n th fct tht n n s syng nythng nd mk snjctv spcltn s t why. ll m lkng fr s nswrs frm Kng Crg. mst pdts hv cm frm &qt;ndrlngs&qt; nd dnt mn th trm dsrspctflly bt y gt my drft. 6. Swndld t f mny..sr bt nt wth S crdt crd, mr thn lkly wth bnk trnsfr..tr r fls? xctly. 6.crdt crd rrdr...whn s t gnn hppn? y wld thnk tht ths wld hv hppnd rltvly qckly, f thy nd n md my cmpny wld d t fr thm fr f chrg. 7. Rfnds- T mny ppl stll dn't hv t, n n sms t knw why. wld rthr tlk t th &qt;bnk&qt; bt gss wht ts mystry s t wh tht s. 8. Wsn't t ll syng tht th Dvs shld b hppy fr th xpsr, bt crtnly crg wld b. Nt sr whr y gt th 2400 nmbr, wr y tlkng bt mmbrs f ths frm wh hd xprssd ntrst? bcs clrly rmmbr tht svrl ld tmrs rnd hr wr tkng th wt nd s pprch. Jst d qck pll rnd hr nd s wh ws lng tm mmbr r rd bt t lswhr. 9. My fnl pnt s ths thn ll b spcttr frm hr n t, Th prmsd dts wr mbts t bst, th bnkng sttn s dbs t bst, nd th dvc s n whr nr cmpltn. Th rsks tht r s lqntly mntnd n vry thr pst, wr blvd t b mnml d t nfrmtn pblshd n rspctd tchnlgy blgs nd gmng sts/frms. t s rrspnsbl fr y t sy tht &qt;y shld hv knwn wht y wr gttng n t&qt; bcs ths f y wh sy s ddn't knw, y blvd th dvc ws shppng lst wk. n my pnn th dmnzng hs bn md t ths wh smply dn't wnt t b prt f th qtn ny lngr, thy shld nt b dmnzd bcs thy wnt thr mny bck, ths s bsnss nd whn bsnss fls t prdc thr r cnsqncs. y gmrs nd sch fl t s tht bcs y r nmrd by th pssblty f smthng mzng, t rlz tht t mght nt cm t frtn. ny tm cmpny hs mny sss bg r smll t thrws p rd flgs bcs t mns thy ddn't prpr prprly, nd f thy ddn't prpr prprly thr thn wht ls my hv bn fmbld? nd y gys t lk t ths frm bsnss prspctv, nt s gmr , nt s lylst bt s cnsmr bcs tht's whr ths s nw. Th gts flw pn whn t bcm pblc knwldg s dl wth t. 'm bsnss mn pnt blnk hv 4 sccssfl cmpns nd knw hw t tll whn n ntrprs s dmd t flr, gt pd t nlyz ths thngs s pls dn't tk my wrds nd thghts prsnlly, 'm jst sttng th fcts ppl. nd wth tht rst.......

Trolls get disemvoweled - Chip

zeropro said:
2lcy6o7.jpg

Zeropro, I've had my suspicions that you are nothing more than a troll, and that last wall of text proves it beyond question. I do not believe for one second that you are a professional anything, let alone a businessman of any sort. Your lack of understanding of banking in general and online credit card ordering in particular prove that. Your inability to spell or format a paragraph backs it up.

Your continued insistence on clinging to convoluted scam theories and blatant refusal to accept the reasonable (and accurate) explanations given show your true colors. Every time one of your crackpot theories has wandered anywhere near a legitimate question, it has been answered. Unfortunately, you're not looking for answers. You're just looking to start trouble. I have been incredibly patient with those who have concerns about the preorder process, but I am through being patient with you. You have no concerns, only a malicious desire to spread FUD. Your shenanigans are no longer welcome here.

I don't think he was a troll, had valid points

Same IP address as Zeropro. Sockpuppet account locked. - Chip

Chip said:
Zeropro, I've had my suspicions that you are nothing more than a troll, and that last wall of text proves it beyond question. I do not believe for one second that you are a professional anything, let alone a businessman of any sort. Your lack of understanding of banking in general and online credit card ordering in particular prove that. Your inability to spell or format a paragraph backs it up.

Your continued insistence on clinging to convoluted scam theories and blatant refusal to accept the reasonable (and accurate) explanations given show your true colors. Every time one of your crackpot theories has wandered anywhere near a legitimate question, it has been answered. Unfortunately, you're not looking for answers. You're just looking to start trouble. I have been incredibly patient with those who have concerns about the preorder process, but I am through being patient with you. You have no concerns, only a malicious desire to spread FUD. Your shenanigans are no longer welcome here.

I'm sorry but I think this action is very disturbing.

I don't know if he was a troll or not, Chip, but your action there is indeed disturbing. Trying to humiliate someone who has at least some valid grievances (i.e. reflect those of us who are not in doubt as customers) whilst being the official "public relations guy" smacks of incredible unprofessionalism.

Combine that with the fact the initial post of this very thread has yet to be updated/corrected (it is obvious now that not all refunds were sent out by the time of your post) and you start seeing why people are getting very nervous. People who bring up valid issues (remember the money paid is not insignificant) are being torn down by not only "forum regulars" but (it appears) the official representatives now.

And before people start accusing me of being a troll:
a ) Chip can easily verify my focurm account email matches a valid Pandora pre-order
b ) $400+ is (local currency) not chump change
c ) Try to name another retail business which has their official PR representative humiliate a "troll" rather than simply delete their post...

Edit: Removing undesired smiley from post... sometimes BBCode is unpredictable ;)

Thanks, Chip :)

@BenT and others:

It's the way he acts, that characterizes him as a Troll.
We are all willing to discuss in a polite and civilized manner, but this is sometimes becoming like a kindergarden, where the educator has left the room.

Still haven't gotten my refund. I'm going to email them sometime tomorrow about it... I'm with Bank of America and paid with a debit card, a refund hasn't shown up in my account.

And Chip, did you really go to the special effort of deleting every single one of his vowels? If that truly was his last rant, it probably wasn't necessary to do that and then call him a troll (people that don't get it aren't always trolls, sometimes they just refuse to get it). You have a tendency to draw criticism, might as well not make any ammo for it. :p

mali said:
Thanks, Chip :)

@BenT and others:

It's the way he acts, that characterizes him as a Troll.
We are all willing to discuss in a polite and civilized manner, but this is sometimes becoming like a kindergarden, where the educator has left the room.
I read the post in question, there are far worse on both sides.

Back