Advice On What To Buy

7zark7

wiz today ? or wait for Pandora tomorrow ?

I want to play 8 bit (speccy , c64 , bbc) and then amiga (chaos engine not AGA version).

I also want to play MAME especially Namco System One, such as Splatterhouse.....

So the questions stands if it were your money would it be wiz today or Pandora tomorrow ?

Mark

Pandora what? That thing is taking so long it's a joke!

Live for the moment!!

I bought a Dingoo last year, and it is fantastic.

Thinking the end of 4:3 systems is near, I bought a Wiz just recently and do not regret the purchase at all.

I find the control excellent (and I was biased against GPH since I bought a launch GP2X).

Sounds like the Wiz or Dingoo fits your needs. Get one, and re-vist the Pandora when it arrives.

Dingoo is a great budget option, but you should go with the Wiz if the extra cost isn't an issue for you. Naturally I don't agree with Audi's comment that Pandora is a joke :p but I can agree with his "live for the moment" sentiment. If you buy a Wiz you'll be playing in a day or two.

For old school systems that had keyboards, and for overall performance, Pandora is the better option. But if you order one today, even if everything goes to plan, you'll be waiting a while to get it (4 weeks +).

The Wiz is an amazing little system, I would totally recommend it. See my review here

That is a great review thanks for taking the time to write it.

I had an original gp2x f100 hence my concern over gp kit. Seems from these posts that it has moved on a lot.

I did pre-order the pandora but gave up because of the lack of updates and craigs attitude to providing them at the time.

Looks like things have improved no end on the pandora comms front :)

guess it will be the wiz then , sounds like it will do what I need for now and then I can catch up with the pandora on the second batch.

Mark

The Wiz is a great little machine and you can easily play a lot of fantastic things on it .. the OLED screen alone is a wonder, especially for the older 8bit games .. they really spring out and punch you in the gob with this screen.

I haven't regretted my Wiz purchase, but I'm really thinking about selling it as soon as my Pandoras arrive ..

Agree, get the Wiz - I'd like a pandora for the keyboard requiring games - the pandora is the final piece of the jigsaw, but the wiz is like 95% of the jigsaw. I'll probably sell the Wiz and buy a pandora when/if things have settled down with stock...I mean, you have to pay in advance - and wait. Then, what happens if you have a problem? I'd be worried about replacement parts at the moment while demand far exceeds stock!

The OLED screen is a big selling point for the Wiz. Recently I've been playing Gameboy Color games and they look fantastic. The colors are bright and crisp, it's just amazing. I'm sure I'll get a Pandora eventually, but I'm also sure that I'll keep the Wiz.

GET THE WIZ

The OLED screen is bright and clear. Its got a blazing fast cpu (more then enough for what you need). The battery life is great. The pro's list goes on and on.

I don't believe in the Pandora so I definitely wouldn't recommend it. I've seen other open hardware systems designed, built, and mass produced all in much less time. To me there is no excuse for it not to be out already.

torpor said:
The Wiz is a great little machine and you can easily play a lot of fantastic things on it .. the OLED screen alone is a wonder, especially for the older 8bit games .. they really spring out and punch you in the gob with this screen.

I haven't regretted my Wiz purchase, but I'm really thinking about selling it as soon as my Pandoras arrive ..
I don't know why you would sell. The Wiz still has the best screen for MAME games, pure black, no ghosting, sharp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd only sell as it's ~£100 worth of kit that I can't afford to have lying around for the odd MAME game!

You say you wanted a Wiz to play Splatterhouse etc. Well Splatterhouse doesn't run full speed on Mame4All even when overclocked to 800mhz, but the PC-Engine version works good (but isn't as nice as the arcade version). Updates for anything on the Wiz are painfully non existant at the moment (and it's been out for less than a year). If you can live with the 'quick and dirty' ports that are out at the moment and don't expect them to be updated then it's a worthwhile purchase, but if you have a F200 already I wouldn't bother. (There are some features on some emulators for the Wiz that don't work but do on the GP2X and even though the Wiz is 300mhz faster they still run about the same speed as the GP2X 200mhz for some reason. Probably due to the 'quick and dirty' approach.)

yeah , splatterhouse is just about playable but the sound is pretty choppy.

Genesis is pretty good, not tried the amiga yet. All in all I am pretty happy.

Shame about lack of updates but I guess most dev's are looking to the Pandora, and Craigx been pretty scathing towards the wiz AFAIK.

I am pretty happy with it for what I need, and I might even poke about with some of the code and see what I can rustle up :)

Mark

I've noticed improvements from the GP2X - Amiga games run a lot faster, C64 has better compatability (tho I have no idea why) and some of the MAME roms I like (I Robot & Tokio Scramble Formation) seems to run 100% whereas on GPX2 I robot was 'playable' and Tokio completely unplayable. Add to that the lush touch screen and inbuilt battery and it's a nice step up for not a lot more.

well for me its a big step up because I had a f100 gp2x and hated it, with the rotten buttons and the crappy screen.

The wiz feels a lot better to me :)

I am going to download the latest version of mame , as I am a version behind and try that as well.

Do any of you play elite on the wiz ? if so what version ?

Have any of you tried the Chaos Engine ? (Amiga version) ?

Back