Gp2X Power Supply?

Apidya_GP2X

Still Fresh
Hello all,

I am new here, I got GP2X and I love it. The only downside I think is Batteries life.
Today I went to buy Energizer Rechargeable( 4AA 1300mAH) as I guess they are not powerful for longer batteries life? I can take it back in the shop if I am not happy with rechargeable batteries.

Another questions I like to ask is that I bought SDHC Card and I dont think it does work on my GP2X as I should buy SD Card 4 or 8GB sandisk(I dont know if that is correct)

Where could I buy power Supply for GP2X please as it is possible to play GP2X with power supply without Batteries?

I play Snes/Megadrive games but I would love to add Amiga/Pc engine emulator if there is one for GP2X.

what else can GP2X play Emulator? Mame?

I would be delight to hear from you to answer my questions.
thank you :)

Amiga said:
Hello all,

I am new here, I got GP2X and I love it. The only downside I think is Batteries life.
Today I went to buy Energizer Rechargeable( 4AA 1300mAH) as I guess they are not powerful for longer batteries life? I can take it back in the shop if I am not happy with rechargeable batteries.

Another questions I like to ask is that I bought SDHC Card and I dont think it does work on my GP2X as I should buy SD Card 4 or 8GB sandisk(I dont know if that is correct)

Where could I buy power Supply for GP2X please as it is possible to play GP2X with power supply without Batteries?

I play Snes/Megadrive games but I would love to add Amiga/Pc engine emulator if there is one for GP2X.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Congratulations on your acquisition of a GP2X! and Welcome to the forums!

As for Power supplies:

Yes, you can play the GP2X with just the power supply and no batteries. They can be found on ebay.

I saw these on Ebay a while ago. I'm not sure about build quality, but the price is right:

Ebay Link

As for Batteries, I use Duracell 2650 MAH rechargeable NIHM Batteries. These will give you 5-6 hrs of continuous play. Anything else is a lesson in frustration. There are 2700 variants by other companies out there if you look hard. Get a couple sets, and you can swap them out on the go. That way, you can recharge the spent ones while you use the next set. ;)

For SD Cards:

The Official GP2X Firmware does not support SDHC except for the F200( if I recall correctly) :unsure: . However the favorite scene Firmware is Open2X which is available on the File Archive and does support SDHC up to 32 GB.<~~~~~~Just Make sure to get the F100 Firmware if that's what you've got!

For Emulators:

Yes, you can most definitely play MAME, as well as many retro systems!
For Amiga here is UAE4All, or a variant emulator available for the GP2x, but you will need the kick start bios images to run them. Others may know more, as I haven't played with the Amiga stuff yet.

As for PCEngine/Turbo graphics emulation the best Emu for the GP2X (IMO) is Temper which is available on the archives. It supports both PC Engine Hue Card and CD Games!

GP2x File archive

This is your one stop shop for emulation and Home Brew game goodness! ;)

My friend just got his first GP2X and I've been having a blast reliving the GP2X excitement through his eyes. Its a great little hand held with literally metric ass loads of emulators for retro systems for it. Best of Luck!

Cheers!

Edited For Clarity/Content

Last edited by a moderator:
i just bought my power suply 2 days agos, just a generic (but good quality) electonic ac adaptor, 3.3v 3A. (remember to check the polatiry, - center, + outside) it costed me 67 pesos, arround 17 dolars, thats half the price of what the psp ac adaptor costs here.

as for the batteries, i use Energizer 2500mAh NI-Mh batteries, and the maximum they lasted was 6:10 hours, playing ogg with the lcd off.

and for the SDHC cards, i use open2X DR7 in my f200 and have a 8gb transend sdhc card, no problems at all, but just in case u read something about some sdhc cards not being recognised, SenorCuack released a new kernel for open2X that should fix this problem in both F100 and F200 GP2Xs (the links are in the News section.

and for emulators, there's a list with links and dates in the gp2xwiki, but i'll look for it later as it's 6:05AM here and i'm a bit tire xD

good luck with your toy ^_^

f200 can take the SDHC.
I can't get Open2X to access SD cards in my f200.. Any card.

Edit: If you're new to the entire scene.

F100 = Black Console
F200 = White Console (touch screen)

kingoddball said:
f200 can take the SDHC.
I can't get Open2X to access SD cards in my f200.. Any card.

Edit: If you're new to the entire scene.

F100 = Black Console
F200 = White Console (touch screen)

Here is a link to the forum thread for the latest Open2X DR7 release with download and installation info.

As laharl mentioned above, I recently released a newer kernel you should try if you are having any problems with SDHC compatibility. You must first install Open2X from the first link above and then install the new kernel after it is installed and working. I would greatly appreciate feedback from you or anyone else if it works or not. It basically contains the exact same code that GPH's kernel does for SD access, so in theory it should support any and all cards that GPH's original firmware does.

If your GP2X ever fails to acknowledge a card is inserted, you should always try cleaning its contacts with a cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol. Insert it several times into the GP2X while the contacts are still wet, then blow it and the GP2X's slot off with canned air if you have any. If you don't just let it dry for a minute and see how it works. I find I occaisionally must do this cleaning.

And thanks for recommending Open2X everybody! 1300mah batteries are ridiculously low-capacity. In fact, that was a good capacity in the mid-90's but nowadays it is laughable. You should buy name-brand batteries but even then the GP2X is notoriously power-hungryu and hard on batteries. Best to use the AC adapter that people were recommending for home use.

Amiga said:
Hello all,

thank you :)

I highly recommend the pre-charged batteries because even though they are rated less MAH, they hold their charge longer. The high capacity (2500, 2650, etc) tend to lose their charge very quickly in the gp2x where as the ones that come precharged last longer because they don't self discharge.

Chris

Back