Considering Buying The Wiz

Valvestat

Still Fresh
Website
www.soundray.co.uk
Hi everyone,

I've spent the last 3 days in my spare time looking into the GP2X Wiz; looking at youtube videos, reading reviews, and generally getting waves of excitement and then slight disappointment.

The things I am most interested in are the C64, Amiga, Mame, Snes and GBA emulators. From what I've read, the C64 emulators don't work as well as they did on GPH's earlier handhelds. I've had a look at the Openhandhelds website with all the freeware available for the Wiz and have noticed that not many of the emulators have been updated recently.

My concerns are that developers are neglecting the Wiz in favour of the Pandora (which does look great, but I'd probably want to wait a year or so to see how users get on with it.) It feels like I've missed the party and people have given up on the Wiz. With the emulators as the stand, are they stable?

It's frustrating not being able to demo the Wiz, it feels like a bit of a risk that I can't take financially at the moment, but the thought of a handheld with all my old computers & consoles is very appealing!

Thanks for any advice,
-James

The pandora and wiz question has been argued upon many, many, MANY times. Most of the emulators run full speed and very playable. Some may depend on the game running, but mostly the gaming experience is just great. GBA and SNES run mostly full speed. Mame runs great too - some games may suffer slowdown, but depends on what you are running. Can't say anything about the Amiga and C64, since I haven't tried them. The wiz is a great device :)

I think the Wiz still has a chance for a 'scene' .. its just that yeah, the Pandora has a lot of peoples interest. Maybe after Pandora is released, there will be a return-to-Wiz by some of us .. I dunno. I love my Wiz, but I've only got it set up for MAME, and will probably add it as a port target, once I work out how to do that with Pandora, iPhone, ZiiEgg, N900 and Wiz at the same time .. ;)

I don't play emulators, but from what i understand most of them are excellent. Also, there will probably be some major updates because of the GP32Spain contest, which has a specific category for emulators.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52979-some-changes-in-gp32spain-wiz-contest/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the info guys,

It's definitely food for thought. I think I'll just go ahead and get one - until I've had the device in my hand and experimented a bit, I'll never have a good idea. If I decide to sell on Ebay, it seems they go at a decent price.

Back