Advertisement Contest

OrR

Corporate games suck.
Website
grvoid.com
Let's design some advertisements for the GP2X!
Here are the contest rules so far:

1. A4 format (210mm*297mm), horizontal or vertical
2. High resolution (100 dpi and more). Use perfect quality when submitting a jpg file. Only post a link to the file. To include the add in your post, please make a smaller version with a width of max. 600 pixels.
3. Color submissions allowed but image has to look good as a black & white copy. Alternatively a separate b&w version can be submitted. The background should be white or a very light color to save printing costs.
4. Space for tear-off coupons at the bottom (see example image). Leave these empty or provide a psd that makes them easy to change.
5. Don't abuse any trademarks and don't talk about emulation too much. Allowed: "The GP2X runs the Quake engine." Not allowed: "Play Chrono Trigger on a handheld!"
6. It is not allowed to copy other's ideas and submissions. However, if you post an idea for an add without making it into an image, you allow people to use this idea in their adds. Only people who submit an image that conforms to the rules can win.
7. This disclamer has to be included in the image and has to be readable at A4 size: "This ad is end user distributed. It has not been posted, endorsed, approved, or encouraged by Gamepark Holdings or any affiliated websites. If it has been posted inappropriately, please remove and discard."
8. There are no prizes, yet, but there might be in the future.
9. There is no deadline, yet, but one can be announced at any time.
10. By submitting your image you allow everyone to alter it, print it out and use it as advertisement.
11. Winners will be choosen by a jury. The members of the jury are not decided, yet.
12. These rules can change at any time.

Example add:

I know it's crappy. Also, it does not quite confirm to rule 3. Click for high resolution version.

If you've got comments, feel free to post.
Contact me at ortwin@gmail.com if you've got any prizes to offer.
You can help others by posting ideas, slogans and templates but please remember that only complete submissions can win and that posted ideas, slogans and templates are free to use for everyone.

What will happen with the adds after the contest?
They will be printed by everyone and put up everywhere. At least that is what I hope. It would be great if we could get the online retailers to support this. They could package 10 adds with every GP2X they sell along with a note telling people to put up these advertisements to support the GP2X.

If you have no idea how to get your image to show up in this thread, use http://www.imageshack.us .

Problems:

1) If the rules can change at anytime it does screw up designs that are in progress. They need to be set in stone before the contest starts

2) No end date (not even a rough one) means no schedule and no predictable way for a designer to pace their work.

OrR posted on Sep 29 2005 at 01:31 PM said:
Let's design some advertisements for the GP2X!
Here are the contest rules so far:

1. A4 format (210mm*297mm), horizontal or vertical
2. High resolution (100 dpi and more)
3. Color submissions allowed but image has to look good as a black & white copy. Alternatively a separate b&w version can be submitted.
4. Space for tear-off coupons at the bottom (see example image). Leave these empty or provide a psd that makes them easy to change.
5. Don't abuse any trademarks and don't talk about emulation too much. Allowed: "The GP2X runs the Quake engine." Not allowed: "Play Chrono Trigger on a handheld!"
6. It is not allowed to copy other's ideas and submissions. However, if you post an idea for an add without making it into an image, you allow people to use this idea in their adds. Only people who submit an image that conforms to the rules can win.
7. There are no prizes, yet, but there might be in the future.
8. There is no deadline, yet, but one can be announced at any time.
9. By submitting your image you allow everyone to alter it, print it out and use it as advertisement.
10. These rules can change at any time.

If you've got comments, feel free to post.
Contact me at ortwin@gmail.com if you've got any prices to offer.
You can help others by posting ideas, slogans and templates but please remember that only complete submissions can win and that posted ideas, slogans and templates are free to use for everyone.

What will happen with the adds after the contest?
They will be printed by everyone and put up everywhere. At least that is what I hope. It would be great if we could get the online retailers to support this. They could package 10 adds with every GP2X they sell along with a note telling people to put up these advertisements to support the GP2X.

I had an idea like this a while ago for the GP32. I was going to make something like that in Illustrator and print out on 3"x 5" cards to place in supermarket designated add boards. I wanted to use a vector based drawing program so that it doesn't pixelate when rotated or sized to different paper sizes. I never did anything. Maybe I will try something now. No use in hurrying though as the unit is not even out yet.

The good thing with this "contest" is that the user can choose the one he wants to use.

I would include the disclamer at the bottom: "This add is end user distributed. It has not been posted, endorsed, approved, or encouraged by Gamepark Holdings or any affiliated websites. If it has been posted inappropriately, please remove and discard"

We don't want GPH getting blamed or get in trouble for any of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quote from someones sig here "I love deadlines, I love the wooshing sound they make as they go by" Douglas Adams.

Its a good Idea, might do one, if not I'll see about putting one up in my art college.

now thats a graet idear OrR, maybe i print some out and pin them on some bords :)
oh and as there are some ugly jpeg artefacts at your image, make it a rule to use 100% quality jpeg or png.

I'm a professional.

gotlinux.jpg

It's Got Linux!

DaveC posted on Sep 29 2005 at 04:23 PM said:
I would include the disclamer at the bottom: "This add is end user distributed. It has not been posted, endorsed, approved, or encouraged by Gamepark Holdings or any affiliated websites. If it has been posted inappropriately, please remove and discard"

We don't want GPH getting blamed or get in trouble for any of this.
Good idea, added to the rules.
Vimacs posted on Sep 29 2005 at 04:46 PM said:
now thats a graet idear OrR, maybe i print some out and pin them on some bords :)
oh and as there are some ugly jpeg artefacts at your image, make it a rule to use 100% quality jpeg or png.
Added to the rules, too.

Whoops... I forgot the disclaimer. Then again, it was not a "rule" a moment ago- teehee!

I might be able to rustle up some prizes, I have a few boxed, sealed PC games but nothing much else apart from the misc junk/hardware/gadgetry lying about.

Damn, I had better try for a rule: Advertisements should be awesome, but not quite as awesome as mine, so as not to overshadow its awesomeness and make kittens cry!

I just realised I set mine on a black background, anyone here want to volunteer what that might do to a printer/ink cartidge? I think an important rule is that it needs to be set on a white backdrop otherwise it's simply not going to be printable.

Oh, and furthermore if you have one of those crappy printers that can't print to the edge of a sheet of A4, any coloured background will be left with a fat ugly white border anyway- and I can't see anyone wasting their time cutting that off.

I see 2 options for printing:
-Print a thousand of them with a color laser printer and share them with other people. (For example package 10 with every GP2X a retailer sells.)
OR
-Prind a few in black and white (or copy them at the next copy machine).
For both options, using a white or light colored background is much better so I added that to the rules.

One important thing still has to be cleared up: How to decide the winner?
A public forum vote is always in the danger of being manipulated so I'd go for a jury...

I'm sure nobody will do that- but I see your point. Might be prudent to create a closed, moderated poll- like a virtual ballet box with each user who wishes to vote given an individual secret voting code. WHo knows!

I'd volunteer to be on the jury, given my indifferential relationship to anyone else here... ergo: I don't really know anyone and will be too lazy to enter myself and may even provide some prizes.

OrR posted on Sep 29 2005 at 03:57 PM said:
Manipulated by registering a hundred users or telling all your friends to join to vote...
Dunno who would be on the jury. :D

When put up for a vote make sure you put the images only and not who made them. Remember we are voting for the add not the creator ;)

A person may have the best add but because he is not the best liked he would lose.

You are on to something there DaveC, if all entrants were emailed to a third party instead of submitted directly to the forums that third party could post them and number them for public votes.

The problem therein lies that the author of a particular advert would know which one his is and could beat the system with false votes, etc.

If there'd be a public vote I'd let people vote for the best person. This is because one person might enter 100 adds that are similar and we want people to do this. If the best picture is voted on, people will enter less pictures because it increases their chance of winning.
This is also an argument for a jury because a jury would judge individual images and give them a score. Of course there should then be a rule that one guy can only win one prize.

WoD posted on Sep 29 2005 at 05:26 PM said:
You are on to something there DaveC, if all entrants were emailed to a third party instead of submitted directly to the forums that third party could post them and number them for public votes.

The problem therein lies that the author of a particular advert would know which one his is and could beat the system with false votes, etc.

You could submit all entries to a mod here. The mod would post all of the images so you wouldn't know who is who. Then you would have a standard poll here. The only "cheating" would be that the author would vote for his own, but since every author will do the same they will all be even at +1 fake vote.

But the author would make multiple accounts and tell all his friends to sign up at the board to vote for him. Even a few votes could make a big difference here.

Wow, nice, you really want to make this get succesfull, eh, OrR. :p

Thanks to me, atleast 1 person is buying one. :p

Back