Gp2x Community Game Contest!

DaveN posted on Jul 29 2006 at 09:10 PM said:
But what's with the guys that use python? Since it's pretty big ( 20mb ) it isn't included in any of the games that use it yet, and it would be annoying for the guys that already have installed it if they would have to download a 20mb bigger file just because the developer isn't allowed to use seperate files.
Good point! If no one contests my opinion, I think that Python should be allowed. It's just another library, in a way (correct me if I'm wrong here. I know it's a programming language and all, but... uh... you know.), and it allows people who wouldn't otherwise be able to program games for the GP2X to do so, enriching the game library of the 2X. We never said anything about not allowing you to send us two different downloads with and without the library needed.

However, I can see how it's a hassle to have to install the Python library, though I haven't tried it on my unit, so I wouldn't know how easy it is to install and use. Do you have to open everything through Python?

Perhaps "ease of installation" could be another category, or maybe it could be part of the "playability", though it's not entirely relevant there. No, I've figured out a way to do it, but it's too complicated and is just the kind of thing we've been saying "cut that!" with lately...

So no Python? It IS dependant on a non-standard library that is quite huge, after all.

And will there be any prize for the 'Most Original Game', the 'public's favourite' and the 'technically most impressive game' awards?
If we can help it, all of those will recieve prizes. This depends on donations of software, etc. Community Favourite WILL be included, even if I have to pay for that myself. Seriously. We'll need a good and hard-to-hack (I guess nothing is unhackable...) system for the community voting though, so any ideas are welcome on that account.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnulus posted on Jul 30 2006 at 05:45 AM said:
DaveN posted on Jul 29 2006 at 09:10 PM said:
But what's with the guys that use python? Since it's pretty big ( 20mb ) it isn't included in any of the games that use it yet, and it would be annoying for the guys that already have installed it if they would have to download a 20mb bigger file just because the developer isn't allowed to use seperate files.
Good point! If no one contests my opinion, I think that Python should be allowed. It's just another library, in a way (correct me if I'm wrong here. I know it's a programming language and all, but... uh... you know.), and it allows people who wouldn't otherwise be able to program games for the GP2X to do so, enriching the game library of the 2X. We never said anything about not allowing you to send us two different downloads with and without the library needed.

However, I can see how it's a hassle to have to install the Python library, though I haven't tried it on my unit, so I wouldn't know how easy it is to install and use. Do you have to open everything through Python?

Perhaps "ease of installation" could be another category, or maybe it could be part of the "playability", though it's not entirely relevant there. No, I've figured out a way to do it, but it's too complicated and is just the kind of thing we've been saying "cut that!" with lately...

So no Python? It IS dependant on a non-standard library that is quite huge, after all.

And will there be any prize for the 'Most Original Game', the 'public's favourite' and the 'technically most impressive game' awards?
If we can help it, all of those will recieve prizes. This depends on donations of software, etc. Community Favourite WILL be included, even if I have to pay for that myself. Seriously. We'll need a good and hard-to-hack (I guess nothing is unhackable...) system for the community voting though, so any ideas are welcome on that account.

I hope you will consider allowing games to require python installed. It would certainly encourage me to write a new game.

If you give me more of an incentive than that you will possibly maybe make a game, then I will consider, though that's not a promise I'll include it.

The fact of the matter is that if I let you add Python games, then there's the whole issue of that 90% of the people using the GP2X will have to download the Python library (which is pretty huge compared to a regular GP2X game, no?) just to play it. This would go against the rule of not allowing games that require outside resources to play, and even if it didn't, it'd still be a negative point towards the game since reviewers aren't likely to enjoy a game as much if they're forced to download separate components.

I think it comes down to the sad fact that you are a minority. Not a lot of people code games in Python for the GP2X (or if there is a metric ton of you, then I just haven't been notified.) and I don't think that I would lose so many competitors on that rule that it would make it worth it to create a whole new SET of rules to decide whether Python games are allowed and how they would be marked comparing them to games that run straight on the system with no requirements.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, and I will listen to it if most people tel me I'm being one regardless of my efforts, but in the long run, I think it's simpler to disallow Python games. I'd love to see Python games in the comp, but I think it might complicate things.

So unless you have an idea as to how we can let Python games fairly figure in the competition, I still say no.

EDIT: If I have any typographical or grammatical errors around this post, please forgive me. I'm under suspicion of writing under the influence.

dodgyville posted on Jul 29 2006 at 05:43 PM said:
I hope you will consider allowing games to require python installed. It would certainly encourage me to write a new game.
Unless I missed it, there's no particular size limit on the entries (at least I hope not, good games these days can be huge). Just include python with the game in a nice self-contained package. It will be a big download, but that's 2006 for ya.

Definitely allow Python games as well. You can even have install instructions for it on the competition site. Or, like Dzz said, devs can include the libraries in the game.

Hey, sorry I've been away for so long, I didn't really have internet during the week, we've gotten many donations, and I will be updating the site promptly, and me personally, think python should be allowed, but please make sure to write in the readme how to change the files to your python path, just for others who aren't as skilled in programming, or just include it in a directory with the game and set it up or something.

Magnus, I am able to get online tomorrow on MSN/AIM/We, as its still the weekend, we can finalize everything then, and get it ready.

Dzz posted on Jul 29 2006 at 10:14 PM said:
dodgyville posted on Jul 29 2006 at 05:43 PM said:
Unless I missed it, there's no particular size limit on the entries (at least I hope not, good games these days can be huge). Just include python with the game in a nice self-contained package. It will be a big download, but that's 2006 for ya.
You mean you didn't hear? A 250GB size limit was recently added. ;)

Python shouldn't be a problem, I say allow, there will hopefully be more entries for the compo that way :)

It's good to see that this is finally getting into shape lol... And also good to hear that there have been many donations B)

Ya, once I remember the paypal password, i can check and update the donations page, Im away from home right now and cant get to it currently, I gotta contact Magnus, if he reads this, ill be on aim/msn all tomorrow. (well today actually lol)

Good news! We've passed the 100 Euro mark with months yet left for more donations! Things are lookin' good!

Okay, so Python games are allowed as long as they are delivered together with the Python package and clear instructions on how to make it work. (everyone should have clear instructions on how to work their game, regardless of whether it's Python or not. Ease of use for the win!)

Hey everyone, here is a list of the updated rules, which can be found here: http://www.psymastr.com/gp2x/rules.html
  • All entrants must own the rights to use all media and code in the program.
  • This is a games contest, not an emulation, application or demo contest. While we respect all of these, the aim of this contest is to promote and encourage development of original game content.
  • The game can be in any stage of development when entered (alpha, beta, "gold"), but will be judged as a "final" version, meaning that an alpha build will be judged on the same grounds as a "final" build.
  • The game can be announced in public prior to entry, but cannot have been released for download to the public. The game can have had closed betas.
  • All ports excluded from entry. A port is here defined as a game from a different system that has been modified to play on the GP2X. The game must also be playable in its published form and not require separate files to run (such as requiring game files from another game).
  • The creators of the game will retain FULL rights to their entry, bar none.
  • Entrants will retain all rights to their game, but will agree to let the submitted build of their game be freely distributed to the public. The entrants may do as they please with alternate or future versions of the game, but the entered version must remain freeware.
  • The game must function properly on the most recent firmware at the time of the contest end.
Also, we have added a judging category called Usability. It takes into consideration the ease of installation, ease of overclock (if such is useful), ease of saving and things like that. Sorta like an overall friendliness level of the program is the best way to describe it.

EDIT: Typos

Okay, I'm going to assume no one is likely to make any more suggestions within the next hour and call this a wrap. I will badger Psy into updating the web site with all the relevant final information and I shall write a newspost in the morning (or when Psy has updated the website with everything)

Magnulus posted on Aug 1 2006 at 11:20 AM said:
5 euros says you're awesome. ^_^

Is Fenix allowed? If so then I'm working on something. That doesn't mean it will definitely be ready, however :unsure:.

X-Code posted on Aug 1 2006 at 12:20 PM said:
*Points accusing finger of justice at all those that don't intend to donate :angry:

I may as well keep the money and spend it now rather than wait until next year :D

Sorry I haven't made an announcement yet, I'm just waiting for Psy to show up and do his thing so that the website is 100% ready for when visitors arrive. I'm working on the announcement, though, so that I can post it as soon as possible.

Fenix, just like Python, is allowed. But you have to include all necessary files in the entry. You should also (but are not required to) submit a fenix/python-less version to us so that when we put them on the contest website come mid-december, people with the libraries already installed won't have to download them yet again.

Back