A Second Cpu?

RockOut

Website
www.godsofallmedia.com
Apart from a few emulators, the 2nd cpu in the gp2x doesn't seem to be very important. What is it used for? Does the OS even recognize it? I read on Wikipedia that the Linux OS doesn't even see the 940T core. :huh: I enjoy telling everyone that I have a dual core portable gaming console, but so what if I can't use the 2nd one! It seems like the 940T is only useful at draining battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
The second cpu when not used uses virtually no battery life, as it sits in a sleep mode state.

rlyeh mentioned that he was planning to use the 940T to handle CPU emulation, and the 920T to do the rest in his much-anticipated emulator releases.

that does sound pretty good.
but then hat would mean more battery drainage. hopefullly by then some more powerful batteries would have come out.

rlyeh mentioned that he was planning to use the 940T to handle CPU emulation, and the 920T to do the rest in his much-anticipated emulator releases.
Shouldn't that be the other way around? CPU emulation is probably the most time-consuming task of emulators and so should be on the most powerful of the two processors, in that case the 920T since it has bigger caches.

At least that's the way I'd do it, but I am a newbie :)

Shouldn't that be the other way around? CPU emulation is probably the most time-consuming task of emulators and so should be on the most powerful of the two processors, in that case the 920T since it has bigger caches.

At least that's the way I'd do it, but I am a newbie :)
Quick! Let's tell him before he wastes any more time going in the wrong direction!

Damn, there goes my New Year's Resolution to stop being so sarcastic ;)

Anyway, the CPU power required to emulate the sort of systems that rlyeh previously handled on the GP32 is likely to be met by the 940T, I think, although obviously the instruction and data caches are smaller than the GP32 CPU's.

I'll be very interested to find out how he sync's the cpu core on the 940 with the rest of the system on the 920, unless he decides to throw cycle accuracy out of the window and go for less compatibility instead. Otherwise he'll be spending most of his time waiting for the 940 to complete an instruction to see how many cycles to emulate of the rest of the system, and that "rest of the system" has to complete before another cpu instruction can be executed, to ensure the correct data is fetched.

It's going to fun, that's for sure!

i think we're talking about the same thing...from what i can tell the goal of gpu940 is to provide a 3D implementation that also provides opengl support.

Back