A Sad Week For Me!

xcen

Website
xc3n.h4x0rr3c0rdz.net
Hello everyone, I'm mainly writing here to vent off a bit.

Someone stole my GP2X from my coat's pocket in a restaurant when I wasn't looking =(

stupid idiot probably thought it was a PSP, he's in for a surprise when he'll realize he can't easily use or resell the device... idiots being idiots he might even just break it apart for the sake of it o_O

It's not like he would come back to the restaurant: "Hello, I stole this earlier but realized I have no use for it..."

oh well, some people...

so I guess if anyone sees a GP2X with a hammerhead joystick cap and a 2g kingston elite pro SD card for sale in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.... tell me about it =P

Now I have to consider weither I want to buy another one... it was pretty fun, but it would then have cost me almost 800$CAD in total, which is a bit overkill...

Damn, that sucks. Especially with the two gig sd card in it..
I'd never leave my handheld unsecure like that though..

bummer, sorry man :(

I know of someone who had their 2x stolen as well with a 2gb card in it. That person just wasnt very intelligent though, and left it out on the open on a table. Idiot deserved it.

Im sorry for your loss. I'd definitly get another one though, they rule!

Commiserations. That is real bad luck. Drop a few hints - there are only 78 or so shopping days left till Christmas.

You're not talking about Psymastr, right? Remember something like that in the community contest thread.

NO, xcen, we will not be sympathetic enough for you to be able to trick us into starting a fundraiser so you can pull a quick GP2X and 2 GB card!

this is more common than you'd think ... i do a lot of gigging and friends have had gameboys stolen w/ writable carts of lsdj on it ... of course the theif won't know what to do with it and even if they did, they can never play out in town or they'll be mauled!

not to be paranoid, but you've got to watch yourself ... and your things ... all the time! even if you think you're hanging out somewhere with all friends, takes just one bad apple and a split second.

edit: xcen, i'm sorry. of course. feel your pain. that's what i ment to say to begin with!

Sorry for your loss, it burns me up inside knowing that dregs like that exist, but unfortunately they do. I definitely think you should get another one (unless you'll catch the bastard ebaying it in the near future), the software and community centred around it are too good to pass off!

- Alex

xcen posted on Oct 9 2006 at 01:51 PM said:
Now I have to consider weither I want to buy another one... it was pretty fun, but it would then have cost me almost 800$CAD in total, which is a bit overkill...
Holy damn-- how did a GP2X cost you 800CAD? That's over 700 USD .. almost 4 times what mine cost, including shipping...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I'm monitoring ebay :$.

hmm well my GP2X cost me 184 USD + shipping. The SD Card was 80$USD. plus the case was 20, TV out 11, batteries I guess 20

so about 300$ and then... err ok I suck at maths =)

still, my point is that my GP2X is going to have cost me a lot of money and it's hard to rape my rational mind and pretend nothing happened =)

Hopefully the software that will come out during next competition will tip the balance...

Xcen

Ohhh thats really bad 8-(, I also feel your loss! I got stuff stolen pain before and it really painfull.
So it seems ill have to be carefull when going out with GP2X around Montreal now 8-( (I live on the south-shore of Montreal but work in downtown and usually bring it around with me to watch Anime on the bus).

I guess like the other people mention aroud. he probably though it is one of those PMP or a PSP (if it was in a PSP case). Might check EBay to see if someone try to sell your stuff from Montreal.

Hope you can get some insurance back or find back your stolen propriety!

Sincerly
Fred

dodgyville posted on Oct 9 2006 at 05:01 PM said:
Just be happy that the person who stole it will have NO IDEA what the hell the thing is!!! BWHA HA HA HA

Sorry for your loss :(
Going along with that, just be happy that the person did not hurt you. He could have gone up to you WHILE you were wearing the jacket with the GP2X in your pocket and held you up at gunpoint, or worse, slashed you with a blade...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why I freak out on the subway when I see a random person (dont care for skin color or nationality just any person) come up to me real close and ask "whats that" I do show em but I dont let em touch it, you can see my hands bloodshot red holding on to it as hard as I can.. I remember one guy asked me "let me play one" I looked at em straight and said "no dude , I dont know you sorry"

I dont mean to be rude but I payed almost $480 for my GP2X,TV-out,case,wrist-strap,512MB,2GB,power plug, S to composite, 6ft A/V, 4x 2700mAH+charger, koss headphones & AC-DC converter...

for x-mas BoB

Bearing in mind that most thieves are drug addicts nicking things to sustain their habits, whoever stole it won't have a clue what it is, and won't care as long as he can sell it for a tenner, to "his mate in the pub".

What everyone could do, is to modify the menu screen with their e-mail address, "if found, e-mail xyz for a cash reward". Even if they turned it on out of curiousity, they won't know how to get rid of the screen. If you were lucky enough to get a reply, you would stand a chance to get it back and may be able to get a description of whoever sold it on, to report to the authorities.

You can easily modify the menu screen on the old style menu system, and even easier, with GMenu2x. On GMenu2x, it is "bg.png" situated in the "img" folder. Change this in any graphics program to add suitable text to the picture, save it on your SD card to replace the old version, and that is all.

Yeah... someone stole my watch using similar methods...

It was the same sort of case: It was one of those DataLink watches, the thiefs wouldn't have nay use for it other than to tell the time...

Intruder: Yeah I used to live on the south shore too =s like it better here though hehehe. Yeah I'm checking ebay and lespac.com but.. eh...

you don't have to be that careful either, I mean... it just was badluck... I put it in a pocket I never put it in usually... my headphones where a visually cue to an easily accessible pocket... shit happens... I feel more sorry for that guy's Karma than anything...

Jags: At least you make me laugh, that's always good =) Now I'm that kind of idiot that like to think that if someone tries to jack me in front of my face, there is no way he's going away with my gear.... famous last words =)

As for insurance, I guess I could call and ask but I don't think it's covered?

I'll prolly end up buying another one... My fav game is getting a stable port!!!! (ghostpix)

l8r all

Back