A plea to those without avatars

Please have a look at this (random) Dingoonity thread. In Dingoonity users with no avatar get an avatar based on the first letter of their name and a random (?) color.

Im debating on changing mine.. but then again I did draw this one. Maybe Ill ask my fiance to draw me something SFW.

Im debating on changing mine.. but then again I did draw this one. Maybe Ill ask my fiance to draw me something SFW.

I prefer your NSFW one.
Aha ha I don't mean this is my NSFW one. I'm just saying most of the drawings she has of "me" are usually involved in NSFW situations with her... However she's starting to make commissions doing what she draws best so I'm happy for her.

Please have a look at this (random) Dingoonity thread. In Dingoonity users with no avatar get an avatar based on the first letter of their name and a random (?) color.

Yeah, isn't that annoying as shit?
No. For myself it is much easier to remember avatars than remembering names. I still mix up sebt3 and ptitseb in the pandora channel.

More importantly, the dingoonity boards seem to preserve the animation in Ziz's profile picture.  Here, you have to click it to go to his profile page, then click on the profile image to expand it before its animated glory becomes effective.

Yeah, isn't that annoying as shit?
No. For myself it is much easier to remember avatars than remembering names. I still mix up sebt3 and ptitseb in the pandora channel.
I guess that isn't much different than people being able to look at who they are having a conversation with.  Some people have the same name (as your example suggests) so that can be confusing without having more to identify an individual by.  I have spent so much time chatting in the past couple decades that the names work for me.  Even variations of names aren't much of a problem for me (I, and others, frequently change their nick while chatting).

I feel that relying on a letter in a square or circle would be worse than looking at the name since there will eventually be other people with the same letter.  Different colors might help.  If it helps you, pretend my avatar is a D.  

I want to change my pic to something someone else is using, and try to get a few others to do the same. :p

What's that now?

A perfect example to illustrate Ziz's point.  I am using the mobile site and was wondering why my post was showing up in the new content (it doesn't list a name).

I usually just check topics I am interested in if a new post is made by someone without an avatar since there are so many people here without an avatar that have good stuff to say.  Poor Grench got harassed into using his current one (and I guess no one got my reference to the Fifth Element after he added it... :(  ).

Back