A Pandora 2 Concept

You would need the bottom screen to be capacative for a touch keyboard to work . Both screen would be capacitive.
Why! Resistive touchscreens respond to pokes from almost anything! Also, resistive is kinda popular round here!
Resistive is popular for a reason: it is superior to capacitive in every way, now. Except maybe cost, I haven't actually priced capacitive vs resistive touch screens but it can't be any more than a few dollars difference and for that I would gladly pay the extra.

I thought that you can't have multitouch resistive screens, that's definitely a negative from my point of view.

Anyway, I believe the Pandora 2 is pretty much just going to have an upgraded CPU ie to 1ghz along with the double ram.
No it would have a dual core, 2GHz processor with at least 1GB of RAM if it ever has a chance to get manufactured.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, I believe the Pandora 2 is pretty much just going to have an upgraded CPU ie to 1ghz along with the double ram.
No it would have a dual core, 2GHz processor with at least 1GB of RAM if it ever has a chance to get manufactured.
drooling_homer.gif

Also, anyone remember the vapourware EraPalm?

erathink-erapalm-gadget.jpg

I thought that you can't have multitouch resistive screens, that's definitely a negative from my point of view.
Who said that? They lied to you. Multitouch resistive screens with two input points have been available for a couple of years now, with recent upgrades allowing up to 10 unique points at once. I'm fairly convinced that the misinformation that capacitive equals multitouch and resistive equals single touch is the only reason multitouch resistive screens haven't been used in phones yet. It's a self propogating lie.

Um, smartphones started off with resistive screens, they migrated to capacitive screens because they are more touch sensitive and thus better for touch applications. Try typing on a resistive screen with your fingers, not good.

Anyway , the big keep your fingers crossed, probably wont happen, but wouldnt it be nice, news here is Mweston's post above

Um, smartphones started off with resistive screens, they migrated to capacitive screens because they are more touch sensitive and thus better for touch applications. Try typing on a resistive screen with your fingers, not good.
Started off with single touch resistive screens, migrated to capacitive because of multitouch capability. The DS has a resistive touch screen and I used to thumb type on that all the time with little difficulty (DSLinux, my DS was my portable SSH terminal before I got my Pandora)

I don't agree to that. You have an opinion you feel strongly about but I don't understand exactly what that opinion is or why you have it.

Dude please, Capacitive screens are widely accepted to be better. Look up resistive vs capacitive on the Google's using the Internet's. You'd be hard pressed finding any that say resistive is better.

Why, because resistive is terrible for its touch (using fingers) sensitivity. There are plenty of demo's showing products that came out with both forms of screen and some mad man scribbling all over both in a comparison with his finger. The comparison highlights how bad resistive screens are in picking up finger presses and tracking. It's not even close

Smartphone didn't just migrate to capacitive because of multi-touch, the main reason was capacitive is much better for registering and tracking finger contact.

If your application was only to use a stylus, then sure, resistive is good for that

As Moz makes an example of, capactive is widely accepted as better simply because it is equated directly with multitouch. You are the first person I've ever encountered to not use multitouch as the first and only example of why capactive screens are superior to resistive, and I have had this debate several times a month for the past year. I'll take you at your word on the sensitivity thing though, and do some further research. As I said, I've never had a problem with resistive touchcreen keyboards (at least one, anyway) but that could just be me.

only? capacative is horrible for stylus use. so anything serious you want to use outside of angry birds is nearly impossible to be performed with precision. yes i know there are capacative stylus but still. 3ds resistive touchscreen works real well with fingers and stylus, i dont know what era of resistve touchscreen youre getting your information from. these screens today are only better because companies use gorilla screen and such

The question is which was better for finger touch. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone say resistive is better for this application for the reasons Ive already given. It's not to say resistive is crap, but the question was, which is better for this application (finger touch registration, control etc). Sorry, but capacitive is better hands down for this. It's not even in the same ball park

• I personally don't really like touchkeyboards, I would want a physical one as an option of some sort
  • Two screens could be interesting, and for simple actions, onscreen buttons are fine
  • There will be some more pictures coming up...

I am "on board" with this idea. :)

@binky

To succeed in redesign for the OP2, you must answer the Zen question you yourself posed... "What is like a clamshell but accessible?"

Do you think speakers can be sufficiently toughened to be on the outside?

Also, to what extent are Pandoras kept in carrying cases?

Fair enough!

final2.png

Advantages:

• Backlit keyboard!
  • Resistive touchscreen for accuracy (transflective to save power)
  • Lots of screen space for such a small device <--> lots of controls <--> The whole point of Pandora
  • Keyboard is easy to reach
  • portrait mode
  • Improved access to touchscreen1
  • The big shoulders make room for L2 and R2

Disadvantages:

• Would need carrying case because of removable keyboard membrane and vulnerable game controls
  • Extra screen increases price

Also note:

• An entirely onscreen keyboard would be fine for small amounts of typing
  • Exposed controls would be OK for some carrying around
  • Maybe put speakers on the side?

Back