A Nice Thread All About The Psp

they wouldn't be able to if they tried! Even the policemen were chipping their consoles :lol:

how are things harder in the US
i ordered a modchip for my xbox from canida and got it next day
and the only other law that i can think of is that emulator law
and you can do that stuff over the internet
where your never going to get caught
it's like jay walking

im 100% sure that both ds and psp will have homebrew and emus. If im wrong i will eat a cabbage :unsure: . who wants to bet on it ??? oh and arse is the proper word not ass thats just americans changing our words again like fanny hahaha :lol: You ever seen the simpsons when marge says somethin about having a sore fanny hahahaha. If your american you wont find it funny tho <_<

Yeah, back in the day everyone was into the PSX piracy empire. No matter where you lived, there was always a 'contact' you could call upon. Whether it be your local jockey down the market or your best mates uncle - it was rife. Those that were afraid to get a chip got the action replay things that allowed disc swapping for pirated games.

Most of the underworld games empire today has been overtaken my everyone and his dog trying to flog DVDs of new stuff.

But I digress, I think PSP will definately have homebrew stuff in the future whether Sony like it or not. I heard that the games folder on the stick could be used for downloadable demos from the internet, so there is a slight possibilty there, either way, your own movies, music and high quality games make the PSP a winner with or without homebrew - though it would be an out an out winner if it was wide open with emulators and the like.

I thankyou, dumbarses, ha ha ha.

I don't know what you people are talking about. I've never seen "chipping stations" in the 18 years i've lived in the US. As for them being illegal, they very well can be. You have to keep in mind that the chip itself isn't illegal, but the cracked bios on it is. As for the psp having homebrew, of course it will. Eventually someone will find a way, there's always a way.

Back on topic... I do have to admit that psp does look like a nice handheld. But I was looking through the games, and none of them seem appealing to me at all. What good is a great system without great games. Nintendo has my money for DS because some of my favorite games are on that system, and for me it's not all about eye candy. If the psp modding community grows enough, i'll probably cave in and get myself one, but as for now it doesn't seem like something i'd waste my money on.

just to backpeddle, as we keep going on and off topic,
DC was a great system but Sega has always been a "freak" company, marching to the beat of their own drum. that worked when the industry wasn't the huge moneymaking behemoth it has become. Anyway if piracy could kill a system so easily, wouldn't there be much more trouble for Nintendo with GB/GBA flash carts? You can order them anywhere in the world - granted you gotta pony up some $$$ for it but people have known about them for ages. Yet GBA games sell through the roof all over the world.

Point is emu/HB/piracy stuff is never going to take hte place of actual sales. Most people don't want to mess with the hassle, are scared or have moral objections, or what have you. DC died because Sega wasn't capable of continuing to compete with M$/Sony/Nintendo on their terms. But I'll never argue with you, it certainly did have some wonderful games - that's Sega. They make great games, though they'll never be completely appreciated by the mainstream.

Maybe they should have stuck a DVD player in their system when it launched. Haha.

No one know for sure if homebrew code will run or not. BUT many seem to jump the gun and are like "OMFG PSP has a memory card slot here come the Emulatorz!! WooooHooo !!! Full speed Xbox emulation!!! I can't wait!!!"

The thing many forget and it has been said over and over: Just because you have a port to potentially run code from (Memory stick) DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL RUN! I mean we have all had this experience. Example: you DL a game from JoyGP and register it for your unit. If you copy that file to a card and give it to your friend will it run on his GP? NO! But he has writeable media so why not? Also if there were no freelauncher (now built in) there wouldn't be any HB on the GP32 either. It is called DRM, ENCRYPTION etc. Don't assume any hackers emu code will just run if it is stuck on a memory stick and inserted into a PSP. If it isn't signed by Sony it won't run, if Sony has locked out the system. My guess is that it has been locked out. These demos etc from Sony that do work will be digitally signed to work.

Can it be hacked? probably. Is it feasible? Who knows. If it requires a hardware mod like the Xbox and PS2 that could be a pain. I know I wouldn't wan't to tear apart this micro sized Chinese puzzle box of a handheld and go mucking around in there with a soldering iron.

right, lets clear this up.

according to a recent liksang article, which featured something on the structure of psp memory cards, there was a folder created named GAME.

the psp will be able to run mp4 videos off of the memory card but afaik there is currently no way to convert to the required format BUT sony will be releasing a convertor as soon as the psp is released in japan. it will also run atrac files (sony's mp3 basically)

for a full low down check out psp.ign.com, playasia.com, gamespot.com and liksang.com.

the memory cards used by the psp are memory stick duo pro, half the size of normal memory sticks, afaik you should be able to use any MS duo pro card, i was checking them out on ebay and a 512mb one can be had for about £50.

NOTHING has been stated or proved or disproved on the possibility of running thirdparty/homebrew apps from the memory card.

carry on...

psp will use a memory stick pro duo. They're pretty expensive. i saw a sony 1 gb one and it costs bout $300

Yeah I'm pretty sure everyone I knew, had chipped PS's. Maybe in your backward americaland software piracy is adjacent to international terrorism in terms of evilness, but it's not uncommon here.

BTW: Linkin Park are a shit band, and dumbarse is a good word as apposed to your use of the word fanny.

actually fanny really isn't used as much over here as you guys seem to think :blink:

anyway how do you pronounce arse

is it like are-say?

CABBAGES posted on Dec 7 2004 at 10:57 PM said:
im 100% sure that both ds and psp will have homebrew and emus. If im wrong i will eat a cabbage :unsure: . who wants to bet on it ??? oh and arse is the proper word not ass thats just americans changing our words again like fanny hahaha :lol:  You ever seen the simpsons when marge says somethin about having a sore fanny hahahaha. If your american you wont find it funny tho <_<

100% ? That is pretty confident. But not realistic. I am about 30%. I say no. Why? These simple reasons:

1) Sony wouldn't want to hurt devs by making the system open to anyone that wants to make anything, they want to control the content of software on their system. You know there are alot of developers that will make those compilations such as Midway classics, Intellivision lives, Namco Museum, Atari classics etc. Do you really think Sony wants a bunch of pirates downloading ROMZ from the net for free and playing them and pissing off 3RD party with an unsecure platform? No.

2) The reason Nintendo didn't really go too mental with the GBA is because those flashcards are relatively tough to get (must import, can't get in any local store), and expensive. Same with Xbox Ps2 mod chips, not enough are going to buy these things and start hacking up their hardware. It is such a small niche that it was no big deal. With Sony PSP though, The media (memory stick) is standard and easy to get from any store. If all you need is a blank card and an internet connection to get access to thousands of warez, MILLIONS will be getting emulators and free stuff. Now it is more than a slight annoyance, it is lost revenue, lots of it. Ever heard how much the music industry likes people downloading music MP3Z for free instead of buying it, Hmmmm? I really don't think Sony will make it that easy. I think the only way you MIGHT do it is with a hardware mod like the PS1, PS2, Xbox. Is there any room in that thing to stick a mod chip? Are the solder points exposed to do it? where will you put the daughter board? 100% eh? I wouldn't hold your breath for homebrew.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont know if anyone answered this question already (the question was on page 3) but the memory cards that the PSP uses are actually general purpose SD MMC Duo cards, you can actually buy them right now at your local electronics store.

I too strongly believe that Homebrews on the PSP is going to be a hard battle and nothing that Sony is just going to 'give' us. I do believe that it's very likely someone will 'crack' it and find a way to run homebrew stuff on it, and yes because the UMD disc is so unique and is not compatible with any hardware out right now... you can't buy any burner to burn them or even a reader to read them... I would expect any cracks will come thru the memory stick.

HOWEVER, PSP does have a USB port, no? There will possibly be some connectivity between the PSP and PC then. Remember this is how they cracked the Dreamcast and started ripping dreamcast games. Of course... it helped that burned DC games could be played from standard CD's.....

I agree with Dave C... I think it's a pretty small chance that we'll have good homebrew stuff on the PSP. Sony is trying pretty hard, maybe not to Nintendo's level... but they are trying to make this thing pretty crack proof.

Back