A Nice Thread All About The Psp

Why do people keep saying "Do you think sony would allow homebrew and emus and pirate stuff?" They have no choice. They might try to stop it but someone will always find a way. And to whoever it was that said 100% was a biut much ive changed my mind im 124.5% sure now :D

Sony brought us Net Yarore, YABasic and PS2 linux, 'nuff said....
I start saving right now for my PSP, because I want to be first tu use MirkoSDK for PSP :)

PSP: 4€

man, that is one bizzarre avatar this kid rico has gp32_console

anyway, whether sony wants homebrew development or not is irrelevant. the psp will get hacked regardless. however, i don't think people are actually going to use memory sticks to load back ups since each 1gb stick will cost more than several retail games wich makes the whole thing worthless. it's not going to be like the gba flash carts where you can store like 8 games on one cart. still, the memory stick will make a good platform form for homebew apps like media players or emus, etc.

man, i really want one soon. maybe i'll put off buying pc upgrades and just order now.
keep hoping that there will be a huge homebrew community for the psp in the futuref! ;)

The Yaroze and Linux programs were hardly all that big, there were no magazines in the US that contained disks of homebrew games. These were mostly to benefit Sony by creating a little income and toss a bone to the public. As far as I remember there was only one game to ever come out of it all as a consumer product. (though I dont recall which is was)

Fact: Sony dosen't want unoffical developement (unless they can make money from it, it's forbidden as far as they can help it.)
Fact: They will do everything that can to disourage it (ie. protected media, encrypted hardware and special hardware design that hinders the effort.)
Fact: Hackers are very resourceful people, they will make every attempt possible to do things with it that are not originally planned and the harder the encryption/protection the harder they try.

For all this I think the PSP will have a larger HACKER community than a Homebrew community.

synkro posted on Dec 8 2004 at 08:34 PM said:
Sony brought us Net Yarore, YABasic and PS2 linux, 'nuff said....
I start saving right now for my PSP, because I want to be first tu use MirkoSDK for PSP :)

PSP: 4€

That was along time ago on the PS1. Did they bring something like that out on the PS2? No. Does Sony do everything they can now to stop it, Yes.

Do you need a hardware mod chip etc. to run stuff like that on the PS2? Yes.

Since you guys are so absolutely sure about this maybe you can explain how they are going to get by the encryption. Anyone that is so sure must have an idea of how it will be done. Otherwise it is a matter of wishful thinking. How will you get non signed code to run? Oh, by cracking the encryption. And how will that be done? I am sure the rest of us want to know how it is done ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
what?
yes they did
look at ps2 linux
it was a package that came with linux that ran on the ps2 hardware and hdd a keyboard and mouse and the network addapter
it was pretty much a low end computer

that sounds like supporting a homebrewn scene to me

Quite, Diablo, and I'm sure I've seen a couple of demos programmed in YaBasic on cover discs.... (OK so I didn't pay them much attention, but pretty sure they were there..)

In fact a quick search for YaBasic comes up with this site:

www.yabasic.co.uk and they say

"We currently have 25 Games and 39 Demos to download."

there's even a Yabasic interpreter for Windows (which admittedly runs poxily slow on my PC), I'm currently trying out a game called Red Invasion...

OK, so YaBasic only came with PAL PS2's so that looks like the Amerkins lose out again.... <shame> But the source for YaBasic is on this site, so maybe a port to the GP32 is possible...? It would be cool to see a basic language ported over natively to the GP32 (or pascal, or...) Hmm...

OK, so that is one SHIT game... You control a circle that needs to run over squares, to destroy them...

Actually its just the Graphics that are terrible - the game is alright....

Hmmm...

whas UP!
hey, have you guys heard...according to this site http://www.psp-emulator.com/
and other places, the development kit for psp devs comes with a fully working psp emulator. i don't know though, all this seems to be a bit too optimistic, with the mention of "psp roms'" and whatever.
anyway, i hope things'll turn out like they did for the xbox, where emus where getting released left and right. but then, that wa sjust a matter of porting and not creating from scratch.
anyway, i hope the bleach fighting gmae turns out to be good

Back