A List Of Actual Planned Projects

Julius said:
Getting LinuxGamePublishing (http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/) on board would definitly be a good thing (if I am interpreting the post above right).
Heh... You'd be mostly reading that right. I'm one of the developer consultants (Frank Earl) for Michael Simms over there. I'm acting on my own right at the moment as I'm intrigued as to whether the lighter titles (and possibly some of the heavier ones...) will run on Pandora- if there's a sufficient interest in the platform and I can make the titles actually work on Pandora, there is a case for a more official plan of things. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big believer in paying for good stuff. So I'd be very interested in seeing you port the games from LinuxGamePublishing over to the Pandora and would probably purchase any that I enjoyed playing.

well... I think the pandora is well supported. Maybe the "first 100" are not enough for developers? :lol:
one for zodttd, one for tinnus, one for hooka... a good investment!!
Will someone port Cube (or Sauerbraten)? :rolleyes:

Svartalf said:
Julius said:
Getting LinuxGamePublishing (http://www.linuxgamepublishing.com/) on board would definitly be a good thing (if I am interpreting the post above right).
Heh... You'd be mostly reading that right. I'm one of the developer consultants (Frank Earl) for Michael Simms over there. I'm acting on my own right at the moment as I'm intrigued as to whether the lighter titles (and possibly some of the heavier ones...) will run on Pandora- if there's a sufficient interest in the platform and I can make the titles actually work on Pandora, there is a case for a more official plan of things. :D

Thanks. As you're obviously aware, the RAM is the real issue. Finding a commercial PC game that only uses 128MB or RAM and VRAM will mean that you will need to track back in time quite a few years. I don't think many of the games in the catalogue are that old.

But if some of the older games were released at $10, I'm sure they would be very popular. I'll sure buy a few. From the catalogue the following could be ported...

Majesty - Great game. One of my favourites. (May need to resize or require TV out.)
Creatures - Hmm
Gorky 17 - I remember I liked the demo... Final Fantasy for the PC? MAde for VGA, but maybe it can be stretched.
MindRover - Never played it.

There are a few more...

SoulRide would be a good example of what the Pandora can do. It does not require much ram, but has a massive CPU and Video requirements. This could be tweaked to use OpenGL 2.0 effect and reduce/increase polygon/texture to run at 30 FPS on the pandora.

Keep in mind that for most PC games the high RAM requirement is due to quite a large proportion from the Windows/X-Server overhead and not from the actual game itself AFAIK.

Julius said:
Keep in mind that for most PC games the high RAM requirement is due to quite a large proportion from the Windows/X-Server overhead and not from the actual game itself AFAIK.
Heh... Most of the titles I've access to SHOULD fit nicely in 128Mb of RAM on the device. The main concerns are how fast the GPU is going to go with ES 2.0 rendering code. I think that the stuff I've access to will not bash it in the head, but I can't be sure until I have one of these beasties in my hot little hands. :D

icurafu said:
Thanks. As you're obviously aware, the RAM is the real issue. Finding a commercial PC game that only uses 128MB or RAM and VRAM will mean that you will need to track back in time quite a few years. I don't think many of the games in the catalogue are that old.
You'd be surprised at what will fit in that space. Soul Ride ought to. Ballistics SHOULD, once I clean it up some. Bandits ought to as well. The others...heh...shouldn't be TOO much trouble... The large memory requirements are oftentimes because of the desktop environment being there. Many of the titles will fit on a 128Mb RAM x86 (which is not to be confused with a 128Mb RAM ARM (which, oftentimes is more akin to a 256 Mb RAM system in performance overall...))- it's that if you're using GNOME or KDE, there's not QUITE enough memory present to keep the system from swap-thrashing itself to death without it being more like 256-512Mb instead.

But if some of the older games were released at $10, I'm sure they would be very popular. I'll sure buy a few. From the catalogue the following could be ported...

I don't know if Michael can be convinced of them going quite that low (He'd owe royalties on everything and it depends on the royalty structure as to whether it'd be that cheap out of the gate or not...)- but we'll see anyhow. We're still quite a bit at the "pipedream" stage of things. No Pandora in MY hands. No pet projects to try out to get Michael interested enough to allow me to do the other titles.

Majesty - Great game. One of my favourites. (May need to resize or require TV out.)

Heh... This is the title I was beta testing for them on x86 and PPC that got me an in on doing work for them.
I wouldn't mind seeing it on the Pandora if it's practical to do so. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind reworking it for ARM linux in general so people with Angstrom or Maemo units could play it. But, this would probably require my getting access to a Pandora to try to get the three I DO have access to the source for working on it.

Creatures - Hmm

Don't know if it's reasonable or practical to do that one. Would have to see if the other back-catalog items worked out well before digging into that one.

Gorky 17 - I remember I liked the demo... Final Fantasy for the PC? MAde for VGA, but maybe it can be stretched.

I don't know about the "stretched" part. It's certainly doable, I think- IF there's a market potential for it.

MindRover - Never played it.

I have. I wish I had access to the codebase for it to make a Pandora port. IF things go as nicely as we hope they will, I might be able to sweet-talk him into that as well.

SoulRide would be a good example of what the Pandora can do. It does not require much ram, but has a massive CPU and Video requirements. This could be tweaked to use OpenGL 2.0 effect and reduce/increase polygon/texture to run at 30 FPS on the pandora.

Yep. And I've access to the non-GPLed codebase we shipped with and pretty much all the levels. It is my plan for THAT particular version to be spiffed up for Pandora FIRST. It would be a showcase piece for both the project AND LGP.

Laurent said:
Svartalf, pick up a real challenge: port X2 :D
Heh... I don't have version control access rights to that (Yet!)- let me get a few of these beasties I'm thinking about under my belt on this platform and then we'll see what all this beast can REALLY do. ;)

Svartalf said:
Heh... I don't have version control access rights to that (Yet!)- let me get a few of these beasties I'm thinking about under my belt on this platform and then we'll see what all this beast can REALLY do. ;)
Heh, you were not supposed to answer that. I was kidding and I think it can't be done :p

Laurent said:
Heh, you were not supposed to answer that. I was kidding and I think it can't be done :p
It'd all depend on how GPU-heavy X2 ends up being. I don't think it'll do it either, but I'm game at trying if the stuff I have in hand works out well enough. For me, this is a playground- to see just what all we can pull off with a purpose-built UMPC designed for gaming first and foremost with the UMPC part thoughtfully added on afterwards.

Heh... It's a moot point, though- until CraigX and MWeston gets the first 100 or so out the door, we don't even have the playground set up.

[edit]
Heh... It just occurred to me that another nifty title, though needing a bit of touch-up to the production values, would be cool to have on this console and should be an easy port:

NoGravity...

Svartalf said:

I don't know if Michael can be convinced of them going quite that low (He'd owe royalties on everything and it depends on the royalty structure as to whether it'd be that cheap out of the gate or not...)- but we'll see anyhow. We're still quite a bit at the "pipedream" stage of things. No Pandora in MY hands. No pet projects to try out to get Michael interested enough to allow me to do the other titles.

I don't know about others, but I'd certainly pay ~£10 for some of the games mentioned. Which is a little more than $10. Preferably £8 (somehow those £2 make a lot of difference psychologically), but £10 would be fine.

Tobriand said:
I don't know about others, but I'd certainly pay ~£10 for some of the games mentioned. Which is a little more than $10. Preferably £8 (somehow those £2 make a lot of difference psychologically), but £10 would be fine.
It's not so much that it's undoable- it's production costs, etc. that're involved with this. If it were electronically published (not likely with these, mind...), you still owe royalties to the studio and or publisher- and this doesn't even get into the guy doing the actual work. At 3k units guaranteed to be sold, it starts being mildly workable at £10- but it's only sort of that way. As I said... I don't know what comes of it for the LGP titles at this point.

if its a quality 3d game like the snowboarding game on the website the suggested retail for the pc version of about $30 sounds fine if its not going to be electronically distributed.

Here is A list of all Suggested games and Programs from the Pandora so far.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: THERE IS NO GARENTEE ANY OF THESE GAMES/PROGRAMS WILL ACTUALY COME TO THE PANDORA.

argor:
calulator
text editor
Images Viewer
Mario HDR

PokeParadox:
CromoZome

atomicthumbs:
CUBE

Magnulus:
Li'l Trooper
Bork

Mia:
Nintendo DS
Playstation Portable

Congo Zombie:
Music application
VJ apps
vj app

Sphinxter:
Super Fishball
IOTCS
Star Hustlers

Guyfawkes:
Picross

GP2X Coder:
Legend of the Shinobi

Randomhack:
calendar
notes application

Zodttd:
psx4pandora

Hooka:
Wolf3D
Freesci

Phil Endecott:
photo viewing application

linuxhacker:
pandora OE
homeworld

svartalf:
Soul Ride
Ballistics
Bandits: Phoenix Rising

Julius:
LinuxGamePublishing

icurafu:
Majesty
Creatures
Gorky 17
MindRover

I like the list that's developing, but I don't see much proof of any of this going to the Pandora, but atleast it makes me feel even better about shelling out $320.

Back