Commercial Projects

Kramy posted on May 29 2009 at 12:21 PM) [quote="u9i posted on May 28 2009 at 08:46 AM said:
I find it ridiculous to integrate name, credit card number(?"] or whatever into a serial key. As the seller you will always know who's serial is floating around. Is there something i am missing?
It certainly removes any incentive to give your key out! :lol:

But the real pirates will just generate fake keys. Only way to get around that is price yourself so it doesn't matter, or have trust that people will buy your game and don't spend any time or effort on thwarting piracy.[/quote]But even cheap software (even the very very cheap ones) gets pirated. Look at all the apple appstore ipas floating around, much of them cost less than 1$/1€

A lot of people pirate software that must be purchased online because of the payment methods: just don't want, or can't give their credit card number, or bank account, neither directly or by paypal. But is there another way to pay that is universal? I don't think so.

There must be another way of getting money without the traditional method of "You pay me, I give you a copy of the game". In-game ads work only if the user plays connected to a wifi spot, and people doesn't like in-game ads. I read today about a method EA wants to implement on their games: the original games will came with a 11€ code that enables exclusive content, that way pirates can play, but don't get the full game, and the original game buyers get rewarded by been original. Payment will be by points, and points will come in packs of 500 (5,5€), 1000 (11€) and 2000 (22€). No DRM is used.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my problem:
Buying games at stores means going to a store. That alone will take hours of planning.
Buying games online means taking time away from gp32X lurking to create a PayPal account.
Buying Steam games means asking Steam to reset my password since I forgot it again.

It's not that I don't want to pay for games, it's that giving up the time to set things up to pay for games is way too much trouble.

Back