A final Pyra Newspost!

Have you tried Cinelerra?
Yes, but it doesn't run as good.
I can edit realtime 4 - 5 HD streams with complex effects (no frames skipping) and can even edit a clip while it's running.

The speed and usability of EDIUS is unrivalled at the moment, in my opinion :)

Yay, looking good!

So, I noticed the nubs are represented as two joysticks? Are the /dev/input (evdev) devices decided upon? If so, would it be possible to get the layout of those devices and the events they produce to ready FunKeyMonkey for them?
I second this. It would be good to know default keymaps to begin preliminary work in porting to the Pyra.

Well, the keymap layout is known, so ports can happen.
He was talking about the actual code for the layout, so that the Pyra keyboard reacts as it should :)

So, I noticed the nubs are represented as two joysticks? Are the /dev/input (evdev) devices decided upon? If so, would it be possible to get the layout of those devices and the events they produce to ready FunKeyMonkey for them?
The current nub driver is a hacked pandora's one, so it currently reports the same events as pandora's, which is good for testing I guess. I still think it should be cleaned up to just report abs events, but not much of Pyra's stuff depends on my decisions really.

The current nub driver is a hacked pandora's one, so it currently reports the same events as pandora's, which is good for testing I guess. I still think it should be cleaned up to just report abs events, but not much of Pyra's stuff depends on my decisions really.
Yeah. Quoting myself from the FunKeyMonkey thread:
Is the pyra a limited keyboard and a full game pad? An overlapping keyboard+gamepad? Two one-nub devices, and overlapping gamebuttons and keyboard devices? A full(ish) keyboard and a two-nub joystick? Personally, I'd perhaps lean to either the first or last of those options. Overlapping devices should maybe be something for the userspace, not generated by drivers, though there are valid points to the contrary as well.

but not much of Pyra's stuff depends on my decisions really.

Well, I'd be very happy to have you involved more in those decisions.
You mention you don't have much time for that right now - but maybe you can help us with decisions, etc. regarding the hardware drivers and kernel.

Right now, we're simply using the Letux-Kernel from Nikolaus, our own kernel-git is not being used.

I'd be more than happy if you would like to take care of our kernel, and even if you don't have time to code, at least give some directions how some things would work best.

I have not much knowledge about joysticks or xinput devices in Linux, their pros and cons, but if you can help us decide, then we can make a list what needs to be coded and any developer can pick it up and code it.

It's up to you whether you think you can find the time or not or want to do it and I totally respect your decision, but it'd be really helpful, as you're really knowleadgable in these areas.

I like the new look of the boards very much. Even though April and May are only a few months away, it seems so long from now haha so anxious...
But congratulations on making it this far. Progress was much faster than expected! :) I can't wait to get my hands on a Pyra.

Thank you so much, ED and Nikolaus!
Your video even helped me with one of my projects: Making a usable keyboard layout on the Sailfish OS port for the Sony mk16i.
Where all other tools failed on that device, evtest turned out to show me all information I want.

Looking good so far.

I've never seen an early estimate become reality, so I'll assume June/July for the mass production to start.
Next steps would be assembly and final testing. So people start receiving their unit roughly mid to late third quarter of 2016.

What is the expected rate of production/assembly/delivery?
Let's say creation of a batch starts in June by Global Components. When will the final unit of that batch ship?

Production Run Parts: A lot of parts that have a long leadtime have already been ordered and will be ready in April: The LCDs, the batteries (3000 are already lying at Global Components), the Nubs (over 10000 are lying at Global Components). So if all goes well and no issues arise, we could start the mass production in April / May. Don't take that for given though, that's a best-case date!
So, this is the actual reason for the April date? I guess the rest of the production is really done like you described. Good to hear that the case molds are almost finished, I expected more trouble there. Can't wait to see first case samples. :)
I always wonder why lead times for parts are so long, it just doesn't make any sense. Time is money and there are so many electronic companies out there, I can't imagine they all can afford to wait months for parts. What's with the good old "just in time"? And storage space should not be that issue for mainly tiny parts.
Or is it like usual: Apple buys up everything instantly? :D

I always wonder why lead times for parts are so long, it just doesn't make any sense. Time is money and there are so many electronic companies out there, I can't imagine they all can afford to wait months for parts. What's with the good old "just in time"? And storage space should not be that issue for mainly tiny parts.
Or is it like usual: Apple buys up everything instantly? :D

Standard parts are available right away, only not-so-common parts have long leadtimes.
You CAN buy most right away for double the price, if you like.

It's the same for all companies, they all have to plan ahead like that.

Of course, something like Apple is different. If they want to buy billions of part from you but only if they are available within a certain time frame, you'd try everything to make that happen - even giving smaller companies longer lead times if need be.

Please don't expect the mass production to start in April :)
This would be the best-case scenario, we still need to thoroughly test the prototypes :)

I wish you the best of luck and it looks as if my own prototype (unrelated) I'm working on for years is ready when the real Pyra production is beginning, maybe earlier.
2016 will bring some nice stuff.

Misleading title, "A Final Pyra Newspost," needs amended to, "A Finaly Pyra Newspost for 2015". My brain skipped a heartbeat when I saw the initial title.

You mentioned in the video that the CPU PCB didn't go as well. Was it solder mask thickness causing OMAP to slip in the oven? Obviously you're going to need those working for the prototypes. When is the next attempt at populating the CPU PCB scheduled for?

Happy New Year!

Well, I'd be very happy to have you involved more in those decisions.
You mention you don't have much time for that right now - but maybe you can help us with decisions, etc. regarding the hardware drivers and kernel.

Right now, we're simply using the Letux-Kernel from Nikolaus, our own kernel-git is not being used.

I'd be more than happy if you would like to take care of our kernel, and even if you don't have time to code, at least give some directions how some things would work best.

I have not much knowledge about joysticks or xinput devices in Linux, their pros and cons, but if you can help us decide, then we can make a list what needs to be coded and any developer can pick it up and code it.

It's up to you whether you think you can find the time or not or want to do it and I totally respect your decision, but it'd be really helpful, as you're really knowleadgable in these areas.

Is time or money the bottleneck ?

Back