3rd Party Accessories

polkunus said:
APPLE WIRELESS KEYBOARD???? why apple overpriced bullshit... i also need to know if the sixaxis (dual shock 3s work)
I would love to see the ps3 controllers working
On it SWEET!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
You can go ahead and green the entire contents of that list. All USB game controllers and USB/Bluetooth Keyboards and Mice will work with the Pandora.
That's probably not quite true - some might need specific drivers (e.g. the Xbox360 controller), or need specific software to pair the device initially (e.g. the PS3 controller)

Pumpkin said:
I would love to see the ps3 controllers working
On it SWEET!!
There's already an app to pair a PS3 controller over USB, so I guess that they do already work

I'd really like to see bottom attachable extension modules.
Some with extra plugs, others with extra buttons, extra batteries.

The most of the above I'd like, would be a 1.8" 20GB/60GB/80GB/120GB external battery powered hard drive. (i.e. just the battery and hard drive of an ipod)
Put that inside an attachable module and it would rock. [Note: if I stand correct, USB 2.0 is much faster than SD cards.]

eSATA port... hmmmmm. one can only dream...

People!!! Better start buying the Pandora en masse, so that we can see accessories and software popping up for the pandora. :D

cbp said:
I'd really like to see bottom attachable extension modules.
Some with extra plugs, others with extra buttons, extra batteries.

The most of the above I'd like, would be a 1.8" 20GB/60GB/80GB/120GB external battery powered hard drive. (i.e. just the battery and hard drive of an ipod)
Put that inside an attachable module and it would rock. [Note: if I stand correct, USB 2.0 is much faster than SD cards.]

eSATA port... hmmmmm. one can only dream...

People!!! Better start buying the Pandora en masse, so that we can see accessories and software popping up for the pandora. :D

Any of the hard drives you mentioned could easily be powered by USB. For instance, I use a 125 GB Laptop HDD in an external enclosure that only has one USB cable and that handles power as well as data.

As far as greening the entire list, negative. Until one of us actually sees it working with the Pandora, then it doesn't go green. Otherwise, we'll end up finding the one USB device that's somehow incompatible with OMAP or something crazy like that.

huufarted said:
Any of the hard drives you mentioned could easily be powered by USB. For instance, I use a 125 GB Laptop HDD in an external enclosure that only has one USB cable and that handles power as well as data.

As far as greening the entire list, negative. Until one of us actually sees it working with the Pandora, then it doesn't go green. Otherwise, we'll end up finding the one USB device that's somehow incompatible with OMAP or something crazy like that.

Indeed the USB host on the pandora can power up external drives. However, this would not be viable for long periods of time. The drive consumes a lot of juice, juice which is needed.
In a way, I am suggesting to replace the sd cards by a faster data storage. USB2.0 is 480MBit/s vs. SD which is up to 30.0MB/s.

I am suggesting to replace the sd cards by a faster data storage. USB2.0 is 480MBit/s vs. SD which is up to 30.0MB/s.
[/quote]
480MBit/s isn't a huge gain.
480 Megabits = 60 Megabytes per second
take into account you have 2x SDHC slots each 30 Megabytes per second for 1/4th the power draw!
a little thought into how you store your files, and you can make good use of all that bandwidth.

QuantenMagier said:
what about headsets/adaptors for this strange 3,5 stereo'n'aux plug in the pandora?
If you find some, link to it.

As far as greening the entire list, negative. Until one of us actually sees it working with the Pandora, then it doesn't go green.

So you want people to list EVERY USB keyboard, mouse and game pad that they have successfully tried with the Pandora?

If they all do feel inclined to do so then it'll be a very long list!

Otherwise, we'll end up finding the one USB device that's somehow incompatible with OMAP or something crazy like that.

Well why not then simply make a danger list for such stray devices?

I mean I'm all for compatibility lists for devices which actually need specialized driver support, such as webcams. But for non-proprietary HIDs it seems like a waste of time.

Pleng said:
So you want people to list EVERY USB keyboard, mouse and game pad that they have successfully tried with the Pandora?

If they all do feel inclined to do so then it'll be a very long list!

Well why not then simply make a danger list for such stray devices?

I mean I'm all for compatibility lists for devices which actually need specialized driver support, such as webcams. But for non-proprietary HIDs it seems like a waste of time.
The idea was to green-light the whole list. We can't do that simply because things aren't going to be compatible and they'll still get green-lit.

For example, when I went and purchased an XBox 360 controller, even in Windows, I couldn't just plug it in and expect it to work. I actually had to go find drivers for it to get it to work properly. Sure, it works now, but it didn't until then. How many of those devices, while even perhaps an HID device, will require drivers to work and only closed source Windows drivers are available?

Most of the devices WILL work, but I don't believe a device should be green-lit until someone gets it working.

I also liken this to when the iPod Touch, iPhone, iPod Classics came out. Sure, it's only slightly similar to this situation, but those devices could not use ANY of the video devices that were previously released for earlier iPods. Some people had been told all of those devices would be fine. Then when they were released, they had lots and lots of iRate ™ customers. The iLounge forums have their own list of devices now that either are, are not, or unconfirmed to be working with those devices.

That's actually where I got this idea from. It's a Wiki, anybody can edit it, but my recommendation is to keep it Unknown and orange until it's confirmed and working. I would even say mark it green if it's been seen to work on another OMAP/Linux device such as the Wiz.

As far as a second list, maybe that's a good idea. Perhaps a second list on the wiki's hardware page. Have it list items that SHOULD work and PROBABLY will work, but have not yet been confirmed. Again, you come back to that being a duplicate list of the "Uknown" category.

QuantenMagier said:
what about headsets/adaptors for this strange 3,5 stereo'n'aux plug in the pandora?

What's so strange about it? It'll work with any normal headphones.

ashdjones said:
Will Bluetooth remotes work?

I've done a search and the one for the PS3 has linux drivers, but is fiddly to get running.

http://antst.blogspot.com/2008/02/linux-dr...-bd-remote.html

ashdjones, can you get us a link to someone that's selling the remote? If we could get that working on the Pandora, that would be pretty incredible. Especially without needing the receiver half of it hanging off of a USB port.

Anybody else know of some Bluetooth game controllers that already have Linux drivers written by chance? Then again, you might be able to finagle that link that ashdjones gave to make any bt controller work.

Oh.... that's not a game controller, but an actual remote controller for the PC. Either way, that's pretty nice and if it can be worked in, great.

huufarted said:
Anybody else know of some Bluetooth game controllers that already have Linux drivers written by chance? Then again, you might be able to finagle that link that ashdjones gave to make any bt controller work.
This is under discussion in another thread, but I'd like to point out wii controllers (remote, classic etc), which already have good open source drivers.

Back