3g hspa

Hi Fahrstuhl,

I didn't know usbmodeswitch! Does it do the same as modemmanager? (momdemmanager flawlessly does the switch to modem mode for my Huawei E160). Is it less/more versatile? Maybe faster?

Greetings to Berlin - my old home town!

Daniel

You could try to put the simcard into a cellphone or connect the modem to a Windows PC and disable the PIN as Linux tends to have problems with PIN input.

Also, what Dave said: Some 3G modems show themselves as CD drives containing the windows driver. They need to be modeswitched to work as a modem. For this you might need the usbmodeswitch program, installed with:

Code:
sudo opkg install usb-modeswitch-data

sudo opkg install usbmodeswitch

After that you should reboot and try connecting again. It should modeswitch the device automatically. If you have such a device...
Both of installing driver you supplied won't install comes with an error opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package usbmodeswitch for sudo opkg install usbmodeswitch and next error opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package usb-modeswitch-data for sudo opkg install usb-modeswitch-data.

try

Code:
sudo opkg update

before!

And take care that you have a working Internet connection during executing those commands.

Hi Fahrstuhl,

I didn't know usbmodeswitch! Does it do the same as modemmanager? (momdemmanager flawlessly does the switch to modem mode for my Huawei E160). Is it less/more versatile? Maybe faster?

Daniel
It's a commandline tool for modeswitching, it includes some udev rules that should modeswitch the device on plugin. Modemmanager never worked for me with my 4G-Systems XS Stick P14

Both of installing driver you supplied won't install comes with an error opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package usbmodeswitch for sudo opkg install usbmodeswitch and next error opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package usb-modeswitch-data for sudo opkg install usb-modeswitch-data.
Wow, you're right, doesn't work for me either. And modemmanager still doesn't modeswitch my stick. Damn, good that I have a smartphone now that supports tethering... Have you tried disabling the PIN on your simcard?

try

Code:
 sudo opkg update
before! And take care that you have a working Internet connection during executing those commands.
The update you given me the download failed and i was connected to the internet.

Hi Fahrstuhl,

Daniel
It's a commandline tool for modeswitching, it includes some udev rules that should modeswitch the device on plugin. Modemmanager never worked for me with my 4G-Systems XS Stick P14

Wow, you're right, doesn't work for me either. And modemmanager still doesn't modeswitch my stick. Damn, good that I have a smartphone now that supports tethering... Have you tried disabling the PIN on your simcard?

I have never used pin no. on the sim card so i don't have one.

It seems that the Ångström repo is currently down, which would probably explain why the opkg commands aren't working at the moment. All you can do for now is wait for it to be sorted out.

I still put it to you guys that a MiFi device would have been the much easier option, though... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lylat:

Did you try eject?

Let pandora boot

plug in stick

start terminal, enter following commands

lsusb

dmesg |tail

depending on what dmesg tells you, then

eject /dev/sdX

lsusb

This may not be your problem, but the above is an easy test

Edit: may have to type sudo in front of eject command

Edit 2: replace X with whatever dmesg tells you, X may be a or b or c, likely a

Edit 3: the reason for plugging in usb stick last is

so you don't have to scroll thru 200 lines of dmesg, what you are interested in will be at end

When i entered this in the terminal eject /dev/sdX it said this eject: unable to find or open device for: ' /dev/sdx'

So there is a problem, can't find the device.

Gruso:

I suspect Lylat is a windows refugee,

one needs more patience with them.

My edit 2 was after his response

And yes, linux can be a pain until you notice that is it a lot more powerful,

perhaps this makes it worthwhile.

I have other reasons for preferring linux, I really hate corruption

(I am voting with my $)

Win has the tendency to foster dependency, as yet another form of lock-in

But back on topic, the lsusb command may report a different device the 2nd time

This is a good sign

Ok dave i think everything must be deleted because i done full flash fw.

What next step shall i take because i've installed new fw.

Lylat:

I am not sure why you reflashed the nand, I don't think that was the problem

So, let it boot without usb 3g modem inserted, log in, insert modem

Start terminal

lsusb, find modem in the reported devices, if it is hard to find it, may be called usb-cdrom

dmesg|tail , this should show plugged in device, notice if it is /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or ?

eject whatever you found in dmesg output (when you see /dev/sdX it means replace X with whatever appropriate)

lsusb , the device list may/should have changed

If it has changed then the modem should now show up in network manager

As I said I don't know if this is your problem, but it is easy to check

I seem to remember that we found the login/password on the sheet of paper that came with the modem,

this was all 2 years ago

Edit: when I say eject, DO NOT remove usb modem from socket

Lylat: I am not sure why you reflashed the nand, I don't think that was the problem So, let it boot without usb 3g modem inserted, log in, insert modem Start terminal lsusb, find modem in the reported devices, if it is hard to find it, may be called usb-cdrom dmesg|tail , this should show plugged in device, notice if it is /dev/sda or /dev/sdb or ? eject whatever you found in dmesg output (when you see /dev/sdX it means replace X with whatever appropriate) lsusb , the device list may/should have changed If it has changed then the modem should now show up in network manager As I said I don't know if this is your problem, but it is easy to check I seem to remember that we found the login/password on the sheet of paper that came with the modem, this was all 2 years ago Edit: when I say eject, DO NOT remove usb modem from socket
When i type lsusb in terminal comes with username and with with usb cdrom comes with error saying bash:usb-cdrom: command not found.

You don't enter 'usb-cdrom' in the terminal; you're using the 'lsusb' command to see if that text (or something like) it is listed.

If it is, the device has been mounted as storage. It needs to be unmounted so it can be used as a modem. That is what the 'dmesg' and 'eject' instructions are directing you to do.

You don't enter 'usb-cdrom' in the terminal; you're using the l'susb' command to see if that text (or something like) it is listed. If it is, the device has been mounted as storage. It needs to be unmounted so it can be used as a modem. That is what the 'dmesg' and 'eject' instructions are directing you to do.
My device is mounted and entered l'susb it comes with error saying
bash: lsusb

lsusb: command not found

Is there something stopping my stick to be recognised.

I've never had any problems with flashdrive,why is it the 3g stick giving problems by not showing up in terminal and network manager.

When person gets broadband stick you will have to enter pin no. to activate it for windows and maybe that is stopping it for working.

Here is a question for people who got 3g stick to work is anyone using windows os 3g stick with pandora.

Lylat:

If you used "l'susb" I would expect that error msg

sudo lsusb will tell what usb devices are attached to your computer,

If you have trouble finding something (say you have 4 or more devices attached)

compare with it plugged in, to it unplugged (also dmesg)

up arrow saves much typing

lsusb also needs sudo (and this is not correct,should not need root privelege)

myself, I use sudo su to start a debugging session and ^d when done

(^ = Control)

Lylat, you might profit from reading

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

It will prepare you for problem hunting like this in the future, teaching the basics of using the Linux shell.

Many people cannot imagine how hard it can be to learn all that stuff, especially if they grew up with Linux.

This thread is getting lengthy, and a bunch of experienced people, who actually could help you well, might be annoyed already. With more experience on your side, this would not have happened, and you'd get to the goal much faster.

Anyway, let us know how you proceed with the commands given by dave and Gruso.

You may as well take photographs of the output (e.g. of dmesg) and post these "screenshots" here. The more elecant solution would be however, to either post only the releavant lines of the output (if you can identify them), or redirect shell output into a file and append that file to a posting here.

Redirection is done using the ">" character,

e.g.

Code:
lsusb > lsusb_output.txt

dmesg > dmesg_output.txt

You can then post the *_output.txt files here as attachments.

When person gets broadband stick you will have to enter pin no. to activate it for windows and maybe that is stopping it for working.

Here is a question for people who got 3g stick to work is anyone using windows os 3g stick with pandora.
If you have to enter a pin on windows I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's stopping it from working. If you have a windows machine around, plug in the stick, enter the pin and deactivate it in the stick's software. If you don't have the pin ask your friend who borrowed you the stick.

Back