Tethering With N900

jocejrod

before saying any of this is not needed, shut up. i was wondering if i could tether an n900 to a pandora and use it's gps, 3g, camera, anything else, on a wireless connection(wi-fi, bluetooth)

My guess a bit of programming would have to be done on the N900 side to allow access to all those remotely through bluetooth..

Is there away to simulate a GPS/camera in Linux? Like some kernel driver that loops back into userspace, a la FUSE.

For 3G its just normal tethering. But for GPS/camera the programs in Pandora will need to access the remote device like it was a local one.

Maybe via bluetooth there's an easier solution.

Yoyobuae said:
But for GPS/camera the programs in Pandora will need to access the remote device like it was a local one.
Cameras, I know nothing about. But GPS on Linux is designed with networking in mind. Specifically, the GPS daemon (gpsd) is network accessible, and just typically accessed locally. The N900, as a linux-based device, possibly runs gpsd (I don't know for sure); if so, as long as you can connect to the N900, you can access the gpsd just by pointing your GPS software at the N900's address. Did that make sense? Does anyone know whether the N900 has gpsd?

Last edited by a moderator:
there may be a wifi-direct option here, though I have no idea where you'd start. Kinda just throwing the concept out there...

Tempel said:
Yoyobuae said:
But for GPS/camera the programs in Pandora will need to access the remote device like it was a local one.
Cameras, I know nothing about. But GPS on Linux is designed with networking in mind. Specifically, the GPS daemon (gpsd) is network accessible, and just typically accessed locally. The N900, as a linux-based device, possibly runs gpsd (I don't know for sure); if so, as long as you can connect to the N900, you can access the gpsd just by pointing your GPS software at the N900's address. Did that make sense? Does anyone know whether the N900 has gpsd?

N900 does not run GPSD. The gps data is only available in some Nokia specific method. It should not be too hard to write a program that reads the data from the N900's GPS and exports it in gpsd format (or over a serial bluetooth connection, for that matter), but no one did this yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back