256MB RAM Pandora (CC): Internal Wi-Fi Speed Below 100kB/s

Wootson

I have my Pandora since January 2011, but have issues with the internal Wi-Fi ever since receiving my unit. No matter where I connect to a Wi-Fi network, I never get speeds above 100kB/s. Most of the time it's somewhere between 50 and 80kB/s. This is really an issue for me as this does not even allow me to watch a YouTube video without buffering every few seconds. Or when I visit a webpage with several larger images on it, the Pandora just freezes and I pretty much need to kill the webbrowser process in order to use my Pandora again.

Even at my university where they have an ultra high tech Wi-Fi access point every few meters, the Pandora disappoints me with its speeds.

I've used all the firmwares from January 2011 and upwards, including the most recent SuperZaxxon v1.51. I'm a skilled network technician, so believe me when I say that I've tried any combination of channels, speeds, different access points, etcetera. This thing just doesn't work.

Is there any magic way that it can be adjusted via software, or is it a better option for me to buy an external (mini) Wi-Fi dongle with 802.11n? Even then, will it work at 150 or 300Mb/s, or just a very small amount of that? Are the internal components of any influence on the outcome of the speeds of an external dongle?

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^I believe the wi-fi chip is not great in the pandora.Some work better than others apparently.A wi-fi stick might do the trick.

Do you turn off the power saving and force the speed up? In a terminal, type

sudo iwconfig wlan0 power off

and see if that helps at all. For even more speed, you can try

sudo iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M

Note that if you do this it WILL consume significantly more power.

It does seem to depend on the router/environment/voodoo, some few peopel just have no luck at all; myself, I tend to get about 600K/s sustained, but with slow 'startup'.. an ftp/scp is pretty speed, but web browsing takes a hit due to many small requests.

I also lean on 'power off' iwconfig option.. power is there ot be used up :)

jeff

Tried the two terminal commands just yet, but can still only get between 70 and 85kB/s at average. The Wi-Fi managed to peak at 95kB/s, what a glorious achievement! :p

Seems my only option is to buy a mini Wi-Fi USB dongle. Can this achieve speeds of 150 to 300Mb/s (802.11n)?

Could the WiFi Channel be also a reason? On My FRITZ!Box I use the higer ones on Channel 11-13 (optimized for the 300 Mbit/s), actualy to avoid the common lower frequencies where are alot of other wifi signals. On my PC I use the same WiFi and can get the Max of 256kB/s but on the Pandora I can be happy with 50-90kB/s. And my router is right beneth my room so the distance should not be the problem.

I have been debating getting a third party antenna to experiment with. There's a nearby surplus store that often has junk like that. Next time I'm downtown I'll see if they have anything.

Could the WiFi Channel be also a reason? On My FRITZ!Box I use the higer ones on Channel 11-13 (optimized for the 300 Mbit/s), actualy to avoid the common lower frequencies where are alot of other wifi signals. On my PC I use the same WiFi and can get the Max of 256kB/s but on the Pandora I can be happy with 50-90kB/s. And my router is right beneth my room so the distance should not be the problem.
Indeed - I have an Android app on my phone which I always use when setting up a router to see the most unused wifi channel. Wifi intererence can cause a lot of issues. I don't know if this would help wootson, however.

Am I the only one who gets ~500kB/s when I copy something from one PC to the Pandora on the local network ? :huh:

No, I used to get upwards of 600. I recently moved into an apartment building though and I've got 18 different routers around me spread out across channels 1, 6, and 11, so I'm getting collisions no matter what I do, but even now I'm still getting about 200 or so.

Back