3g hspa

You seem to be missing the closing quote marks from the last line.

I'd suggest editing the file, adding in the quote marks (") and saving it, then see if that makes any difference.

To edit the file use:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1:1446

- Neelix

You seem to be missing the closing quote marks from the last line.

I'd suggest editing the file, adding in the quote marks (") and saving it, then see if that makes any difference.

To edit the file use:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/usb_modeswitch.d/12d1:1446

- Neelix
There is nothing missing look carefully,here it is again:

########################################################

# Huawei, newer modems

DefaultVendor= 0x12d1

DefaultProduct=0x1446

TargetVendor= 0x12d1

TargetProductList="1001,1406,140b,140c,1412,141b,14ac"

CheckSuccess=20

MessageContent="55534243123456780000000000000011060000000000000000000000000000"

And i have just saved this.

if i did change the device ID then it wouldn't work on windows pc.

The reson for not showing because it has windows cd rom software is this correct,if it didn't have the cd rom then it would of been recognised straightaway.
No, your device would still work on windows. The device ID is reset every time you pull it out and plug it in again.

The reason it doesnt show itself as a modem is because it acts like a cdrom drive and the OS recognizes it as such. You need to switch the device to modem mode.

Could you please post the whole dmesg output? There should be a lot more than just the two lines you posted. Do it the way hmc described and post the file as an attachment.

Also I've just discovered that it's possible to install usbmodeswitch from the angstrom repo again, although connection for me is extremely glitchy. For this you need to be connected to the internet via WiFi and execute:

Code:
sudo opkg install usbmodeswitch

sudo opkg install usb-modeswitch-data

Then you should plug in your dongle and execute:

Code:
sudo usb_modeswitch -v 12d1 -p 1446 -M 55534243123456780000000000000011062000000100000000000000000000

This should switch your dongle to modem mode. Please post the output of sudo lsusb, including the vendor and device ID (the two 4-letter strings with the : in between :D )

A very interesting and helpful resource on this is http://www.draisberg.../usb_modeswitch
I just got it to work but when i disconnected the stick then i couldn't see the my 3g stick in network manager.

Hm, I have no idea how to make it show up in networkmanager if it doesn't do so automatically.

One solution is to use pppd instead, but I have to look into it again before I can tell you anything helpful.

So, as everything works up to modeswitching, we need to set up pppd for your carrier.

Create the folder /etc/ppp/peers:

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /etc/ppp/peers

Open /etc/ppp/peers/orange with:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/ppp/peers/orange

and copypaste the following into it and save.

Code:
# File /etc/ppp/peers/orange

noauth

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/chatscripts/orange"

defaultroute

/dev/ttyUSB0

persist

debug

passive

noipdefault

usepeerdns

Then create the folder /etc/chatscripts with:

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /etc/chatscripts

Edit the file /etc/chatscripts/orange with:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/chatscripts/orange

and copypaste the following into it, enter your PIN instead of **** and save:

Code:
TIMEOUT         120

ABORT           'BUSY'

ABORT           'ERROR'

ABORT           'NO CARRIER'

''              'ATE1'

OK              AT+CPIN=****

OK              AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","orangeinternet"

OK              ATD*99#

CONNECT         \d\c

Then plug in your modem, wait a bit until it's modeswitched and run

Code:
sudo pon orange

If it doesn't work replace /dev/ttyUSB0 in /etc/ppp/peers/orange with /dev/ttyUSB1 or /dev/ttyUSB2 or /dev/ttyUSB3 . Just try every number once and run sudo pon orange again.

If it still doesn't work, please post your full output of

Code:
dmesg

Code:
sudo lsusb
and

Code:
ls /dev/ttyUSB*

Last edited by a moderator:
Fahrstuhl i got 3g broadband stick to work.

I have one question the setting you given me is that only for orange one.

Orange didn't manufacture your stick but Huawei. If you get a new stick, you will need to modify the modeswitch-settings. If you get a new carrier, you'll need to change the pppd settings. You might get the same model as your stick from a different carrier, though.

P.S.: You might be able to automate your connection by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/usb_modeswitch.rules with:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/udev/rules.d/usb_modeswitch.rules

and adding a new line with the following content and save:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="141b", SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1", RUN+="pon orange"

Although I'm not sure whether it'll work reliably because sometimes you need to wait a few seconds before you're able to set up a connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange didn't manufacture your stick but Huawei. If you get a new stick, you will need to modify the modeswitch-settings. If you get a new carrier, you'll need to change the pppd settings. You might get the same model as your stick from a different carrier, though.

P.S.: You might be able to automate your connection by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/usb_modeswitch.rules with:

Code:
sudo mousepad /etc/udev/rules.d/usb_modeswitch.rules

and adding a new line with the following content and save:

Code:
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="141b", SYSFS{idVendor}=="12d1", RUN+="pon orange"

Although I'm not sure whether it'll work reliably because sometimes you need to wait a few seconds before you're able to set up a connection.
I know huawei made the stick but only problem is don't know the model of this stick,if i can the same model which will be much better.

To be honest they are all very expensive doesn't matter which one you choose,i've noticied one thing carphone warehouse don't even sell orange stick anymore that's really strange.

Back