3g hspa

sukhi2011

Is pandora compatible with 3g hspa.

I like to use internet outside on the go,wi-fi is not very good just inside the house and that's not good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be better off with a "MiFi" type device, instead, as they don't require any installation at all. They're a pocket-sized 3G/HSDPA (where available) modem that allows up to five devices to connect via WiFi at any one time.

Well, since WiFi still has some reliability problems on the Pandora, I actually cannot recommend that option.

I was surprised how easy it was to set up an UMTS (3G) USB modem.

To make it work flawlessly (or at all) with NetworkManager, I only needed to install the modemmanager package:

Code:
sudo opkg --force-overwrite install modemmanager

(the --force-overwrite was necessary, because there were a conflict with some already existant files, don't remember which ones. Maybe try with that first.)

Afterwards, I only had to connect the USB modem and choose the previously configured connection from ModemManager. Works like a charm.

I have a Huawei E160.

(Sold by Aldi in Germany as model "MEDIONmobile web stick S4011")

However, not all of these modems work that well.

I have another USB modem (which I don't know maker and model currently), which does not work at all with this setup.

The compatibility list in the pandorawiki (link in one of the postings above) helps a lot here.

Daniel

(By the way: I suggest to make modemmanager a default package in the Pandora firmware!)

Well, since WiFi still has some reliability problems on the Pandora, I actually cannot recommend that option.
I can recommend it because it's my sole means of internet access on my Pandora when travelling, and it's never given me a moment's trouble. In fact, that's exactly why I'm recommending it. :p

What do you need to get connected to 3g hspa,i have never tried it before.

Just tell what i need to buy get connected.

Once connected can i use internet outside.

Well, you actually only need a mobile 3G WiFi router (around 100 Euro, it will connect to the 3G network and supply Internet access to all devices you connect to it via WiFi) or a USB 3G modem (cheaper - maybe 30-50 Euro), which can only supply Internet to one device at once.

And of course you need a SIM card with a data plan.

Usually, with a mobile device you don't neet to transfer a lot of data, so a cheaper plan with a lower volume limit may be sufficient. Buit this depends on what you want to do.

Daniel

Well, you actually only need a mobile 3G WiFi router (around 100 Euro, it will connect to the 3G network and supply Internet access to all devices you connect to it via WiFi) or a USB 3G modem (cheaper - maybe 30-50 Euro), which can only supply Internet to one device at once.

And of course you need a SIM card with a data plan.

Usually, with a mobile device you don't neet to transfer a lot of data, so a cheaper plan with a lower volume limit may be sufficient. Buit this depends on what you want to do.

Daniel

Ok i need 3g wi-fi router or usb 3g modem.

The usb 3g modem can that be connected directly into pandora usb port.

Sim card data plan are you on about 3d sim card which are for mobile phones with minutes.

Sim card data plan would it charge me every minute i use it.

Well, I have my Pandora working with 'dumb' phone as a 3g modem via bluetooth flawlessly. Whenever I want to browse the Internets I just pick HE:XA:DE:CI:MA:L0 PANU in networkmanager and here I go.

Hoodoo's method works too, of course. I forgot that option in my post before. If you have a phone connected to the Internet, with a suitable data plan for PDA / Pandora-style Internet access habits, and you can connect Pandora and phone via Bluetooth, and if the phone supports forwarding the Internet connection via USB, then this is also a way to go.

As for your ebay link, ocean, this is the correct kind of device (well, it may depend on where you live, which kind of device works! Befroe you buy, make sure the device is compatible with the networks in your surrounding!).

The auction says, it is a Huawei E353.

So now let's look into the compatibility list at

http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list#HSDPA_.283G.29_Modems

...well, the list does not mention the Huawei E353. So It's unknown if the modem will work with the Pandora's current drivers.

You could just try it (and then report if it works, and ideally enter the result into that list).

If you want to make sure that you get a working modem, try to find one from the compatibility list.

And yes, it goes directly into the Pandora's (larger) USB port.

The smaller port, i.e. the USB OTG port, is not capable to drive such a modem, as it only supplies 100mA of current to the attached device. The larger port supplies 500mA and is able to drive some (not all!) 3G modems.

As for suitable data plans, you get them from the network providers or from their resellers. T-mobile, Vodafone, to mention some globally operating ones. But you may have local ones which are cheaper. There are websites comparing such providers. On some you van even enter your Internet habits and the page suggest suitable providers.

But attention: Read the small print. Cheaper plans often tie you for some time to the contract, and cancellation of such contracts may not be easy (at least in Germany this is a real problem. Business ethics are very bad here, when it comes to such issues).

Daniel

Hoodoo's method works too, of course. I forgot that option in my post before. If you have a phone connected to the Internet, with a suitable data plan for PDA / Pandora-style Internet access habits, and you can connect Pandora and phone via Bluetooth, and if the phone supports forwarding the Internet connection via USB, then this is also a way to go.

As for your ebay link, ocean, this is the correct kind of device (well, it may depend on where you live, which kind of device works! Befroe you buy, make sure the device is compatible with the networks in your surrounding!).

The auction says, it is a Huawei E353.

So now let's look into the compatibility list at

http://pandorawiki.o....283G.29_Modems

...well, the list does not mention the Huawei E353. So It's unknown if the modem will work with the Pandora's current drivers.

You could just try it (and then report if it works, and ideally enter the result into that list).

If you want to make sure that you get a working modem, try to find one from the compatibility list.

And yes, it goes directly into the Pandora's (larger) USB port.

The smaller port, i.e. the USB OTG port, is not capable to drive such a modem, as it only supplies 100mA of current to the attached device. The larger port supplies 500mA and is able to drive some (not all!) 3G modems.

As for suitable data plans, you get them from the network providers or from their resellers. T-mobile, Vodafone, to mention some globally operating ones. But you may have local ones which are cheaper. There are websites comparing such providers. On some you van even enter your Internet habits and the page suggest suitable providers.

But attention: Read the small print. Cheaper plans often tie you for some time to the contract, and cancellation of such contracts may not be easy (at least in Germany this is a real problem. Business ethics are very bad here, when it comes to such issues).

Daniel
Are you saying i need to get 3g sim card on contract.

The usb 3g modem link i given you is not in the list,so as you said i need to find one in the list.

Hi ocean,

this one looks good.

With a 3G modem, you can probably also use a 2G SIM card and surf using GSM or GPRS. But that's not really fun, as it's pretty slow.

Daniel

P.S.: I just updated the 3G modem wiki page, adding the modemmanager installation hint.

2G sim card,what card of cards are those.

Can you use t-mobile,orange,vodafone sim cards.

I was thinking usb broadband stick,can them be used on pandora.

The usb broadband stick is on orange.

I use that on my computer which has already pre-installed sim card and doesn't require any drivers even on my windows pc it's the same solution.

So how do i connect it to my pandora tell me how to do it.

Ok i can connect it to usb port on pandora,what to do next.

Right-Click on the NetworkManager icon in the tray, choose "Edit connections", chooose the tab "Mobile broadband" (or similar, can't check actual wording right now), add a new profile and enter the data for your data plan (usually the APN and - if needed - the SIM PIN are enough. You can find out the APN either in the settings of your PC software, or by asking the provider or searching the Internet for e.g. "orange APN".

After submitting the changes, connect the stick, wait a minute.

Then click on NetworkManager. If the new profile you generates is displayed and choosable, click it. The Pandora may connect now. If it's not, you may need modemmanager. Open a terminal and enter

Code:
sudo opkg install modemmanager

If you get an error about files not to eb overwritten and modemmanager thus is not installed, you may need

Code:

after installation of modemmanager, disconnect the USB stick, then reconnect it, wait a minute, and click NetworkManager again. If the profile is choosable now, click it and let the Pandora connect. If it's not, please report here.Then deeper diagnosis is needed.

Daniel

Right-Click on the NetworkManager icon in the tray, choose "Edit connections", chooose the tab "Mobile broadband" (or similar, can't check actual wording right now), add a new profile and enter the data for your data plan (usually the APN and - if needed - the SIM PIN are enough. You can find out the APN either in the settings of your PC software, or by asking the provider or searching the Internet for e.g. "orange APN".

After submitting the changes, connect the stick, wait a minute.

Then click on NetworkManager. If the new profile you generates is displayed and choosable, click it. The Pandora may connect now. If it's not, you may need modemmanager. Open a terminal and enter

Code:
sudo opkg install modemmanager

If you get an error about files not to eb overwritten and modemmanager thus is not installed, you may need

Code:

after installation of modemmanager, disconnect the USB stick, then reconnect it, wait a minute, and click NetworkManager again. If the profile is choosable now, click it and let the Pandora connect. If it's not, please report here.Then deeper diagnosis is needed.

Daniel
I can't see any network manager on system tray.

What does the network manager icon look like.

Back