3Dfx Emulator?

1magus

I was wondering if it would be possible to emulate this type of hardware on the Pandora? I ask because Gauntlet Dark Legacy requires this and Mame from what I understand just won't work with GPU based emulators.

TylerAW said:
I was wondering if it would be possible to emulate this type of hardware on the Pandora? I ask because Gauntlet Dark Legacy requires this and Mame from what I understand just won't work with GPU based emulators.

From Youtube videos that game struggled to run on a desktop PC.. My guess if it could it be slow as death on a Pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
TrashyMG said:
TylerAW said:

From Youtube videos that game struggled to run on a desktop PC.. My guess if it could it be slow as death on a Pandora.
I know MAME runs slow as death but plenty of software like Unity have 3DFX built in emulators for old hardware that seem to work fine I mean if someone decided to write an emulator specifically for Gauntlet Dark Legacy hardware maybe it would work?

Glide wrappers to OpenGL have been at least pretty successful on PC, so it might be possible for emulators that aren't going for high accuracy. I wouldn't expect such a thing to happen from MAME, since it's highly counter to their design goals (a fork could try it but would probably not be met well)

Exophase said:
Glide wrappers to OpenGL have been at least pretty successful on PC, so it might be possible for emulators that aren't going for high accuracy. I wouldn't expect such a thing to happen from MAME, since it's highly counter to their design goals (a fork could try it but would probably not be met well)

Forking hell.

Damn that sucks I mean if you want this on mame u are screwed and might as well buy Gauntlet: Dark Legacy the arcade its self lol.

TylerAW said:
Damn that sucks I mean if you want this on mame u are screwed and might as well buy Gauntlet: Dark Legacy the arcade its self lol.

The reason that vanilla MAME is slow at emulating the 3DFX is just because it's done in software - the MAME dev team don't use any hardware acceleration to do the job. A decent glide wrapper would make all the difference to MAME, if they'd allow it. But as Exophase says - that's not how the MAME team want their emulator to progress.

Gauntlet: Legends on the N64 is practically the same game. Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (on XBox) fixed a few things and added some new extra characters etc. but it's pretty much the same.

My son and I loved both games and completed them multiple times. The N64 version is much harder than the XBox version though. They both got pretty average reviews, but they are fantastic multi-player games. But you know that already :)

TrashyMG said:
TylerAW said:

Guys is it not about time we seeen some more cpu intensive emulation cause be honest the reason we are getting this little console is what it supposedly can do we see cps 1 & 2 and neogeo alllll!!! the time how about some higher end mame games like cyvern darius gaiden galaxy force 2 rayforce and that will give an idea how capable this device really is!!!

CAZMIESTER said:
TrashyMG said:
TylerAW said:

Guys is it not about time we seeen some more cpu intensive emulation cause be honest the reason we are getting this little console is what it supposedly can do we see cps 1 & 2 and neogeo alllll!!! the time how about some higher end mame games like cyvern darius gaiden galaxy force 2 rayforce and that will give an idea how capable this device really is!!!

sure?

I love Gauntlet Dark Legacy :D I don't know if it's possible to emulate it (well) on the Pandora but I sure hope so :)

iprice said:
Gauntlet: Legends on the N64 is practically the same game. Gauntlet: Dark Legacy (on XBox) fixed a few things and added some new extra characters etc. but it's pretty much the same.

My son and I loved both games and completed them multiple times. The N64 version is much harder than the XBox version though. They both got pretty average reviews, but they are fantastic multi-player games. But you know that already :)
Gauntlet Dark Legacy has a lot more levels though :)

TitanUranus said:
Exophase said:

Forking hell.
For some reason, that made me laugh. :lol:

Give me Gauntlet 2 on the ST any day, that generated voice "Red Valkarie is about to die".... "Blue Elf shot a food" budum... budum... budum... budum... game over

CAZMIESTER said:

Guys is it not about time we all start using punctuation or something because when you type like this and then someone reads it it sounds like one big giant sentence with no stops or anything and to some people that might make it difficult to understand or at least make it very annoying to read because it just goes on and on and on and nothing can stop it like the energizer bunny of sentences but its not because it has no useful purpose whatsoever and then when you list things like age of empires 2 alone in the dark gradius pokemon grandia II farcry crysis etc etc without punctuation it makes it difficult to see whats what!!!!

Seriously: So what you're saying is that there would be no way to make a hardware accelerated pandora port of MAME?

liquidphantom said:
Give me Gauntlet 2 on the ST any day, that generated voice "Red Valkarie is about to die".... "Blue Elf shot a food" budum... budum... budum... budum... game over
Green Jester needs food badly!!

Yes, this game rocks! The N64 version ALWAYS ran slow for me even on my good pc, yet I can play goldeneye just fine. It was also on Dreamcast and PSX. The Playstation version should be no problem on the pandora, infact I might have to throw that game on my sd card and give it a try.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
CAZMIESTER said:

Guys is it not about time we all start using punctuation or something because when you type like this and then someone reads it it sounds like one big giant sentence with no stops or anything and to some people that might make it difficult to understand or at least make it very annoying to read because it just goes on and on and on and nothing can stop it like the energizer bunny of sentences but its not because it has no useful purpose whatsoever and then when you list things like age of empires 2 alone in the dark gradius pokemon grandia II farcry crysis etc etc without punctuation it makes it difficult to see whats what!!!!

He just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence, moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt, it was really quite hypnotic.

I remember being floored when playing the original grayscale Gameboy version of Gauntlet II and hearing the voice say "Elf Needs Food Badly" and "Elf is about to die" this from my GAMEBOY!? My how the little things used to impress us.

Back