Pandora Emulators Vs. Gp2X/wiz Emulators?

DaveC said:
Such sarcasm.. It may take 5 seconds if *you know what to do* but I don't. If I knew how to do it I would have done it.

Sorry bro, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, I just meant for the *nix savvy dude like our man Stan. When I said that I really totally believed someone would do it in something like 5 seconds for you but not by you and it worked out something like that so it's all good right? ;)

P.S. I'm extremely drunk, apologies D:

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. First and foremost DaveC fuckin rocks, so I am starting 2 new appreciation parties.

1 for him, representing bluntness and straight forward user orientated, friendly, hug a tree type stuff, coupled with a complex understanding of how emu's should look under any drug useage, nostalgic rose tints or wishful thinking. All if you please, with an easy and standardised menu system, and keystrokes (hell we have a whole gamut to call upon) and repleat with un-needed to be called for (as all the options and thinking are laid on) ample documentation that opens fast if required!

The second is for the un-nameable members of the OPT team. The actual assemblers.

Stand and take a bow please folks. :blush:

We shant demonise you too much for the odd crumb of tobacco or blim that winds its way to us in Daves hallowed cases (I personally would have treasured some spare weed you were throwing about, or at least smoked it) but each to their own. :blink:

Neither shall we further chastise you for screwing some folk royally, with or without any physical screws. :lol: The Royal families do likewise with full support :wacko:

Your efforts are due at least some praise and you are the anonymous posse at present. :ph34r:

As for Dave's frankness over the NUBS, well I believe that is subjective and unit dependant.

The new nubs will hopefully be better than the previous batch but I've had two units with very good, functional and useful ones and I think the machine is crippled without them, though I operate mainly in a hot-keyed XFCE environment and I didn't realise their worth until my first units touchscreen un-calibrated during its PSOD. Now I would be lost without them, or endlessly reaching for the melded stylus (which is decent, fits well and doesn't fall out) or using touch, which is fine for all but the titlebars of apps.

Dave is a minimenu adept :ph34r: and wants it all via his d pad or generic touchscreen, with zero wish to 'just make a bindy bashy special scroll of +10 to mental acquity' re-jig it to personalise to your layout (wtf?)and pop it in the blender for some Wizzly Presto!

Nah I'm being timid, yet Dave, have you gotten the Timidity files for PrBoom working yet? I haven't. Despite downloading all known to man copies of the darn instruments files and shoving them all but up my ass, I am still aswell off as playing Doom on my fuckin Jag! :lol:

Now I cant comment on the Wiz but I did have a GP2x F100 and it was nice for awhile. I had a temperamental sod though, and it refused to playback music and videos it had previously been fine with for about 6 months and then became magically useable again. I must have encountered a +10 mental health .sh script by accident. Its downtime and darn awkwardness to set many things up, firmly put me off its no doubt good capabilities and such I missed its great homebrew and the peaks of its time.

The Pandora is a dream to use in comparison, despite my Doom gloom, as bear in mind that all console versions of Doom worth a look at, do not work at present.

I have really enjoyed Fuse, Caprice & Vice to remember old classics with and I'm sure I tried at least Amstrad on the gp2x and it was impossible to use.

GpSp ginge wrapped PND works fine for me with zipped roms but this emu seems to be giving varied results, GnuBoy and Gpfce are also pretty good but I have yet to get Race working correctly.

Picodrive, Pc engine and Snes all seem really good but I have little to compare them too, so I am happy as it is.

PSX and Mupen are great for the games they do work for.

Ultimately though the Pandora is way overdue, its had a serious bitch of a time to get to market for all manner of reasons and hence there are simply few units outhere, so things may change very soon. B)

I still think its a great handheld and truly the first pocketable full computer, as its desktop functions are good already and with debian etc will eventually be unsurpassed. :wub:

Edit: You cant say it isnt a full computer either, as we even have minesweeper thankyou very much!

Exophase said:
DaveC said:
Such sarcasm.. It may take 5 seconds if *you know what to do* but I don't. If I knew how to do it I would have done it.

Sorry bro, I didn't mean to sound sarcastic, I just meant for the *nix savvy dude like our man Stan. When I said that I really totally believed someone would do it in something like 5 seconds for you but not by you and it worked out something like that so it's all good right? ;)

P.S. I'm extremely drunk, apologies D:
That is Ok I can take some shots. It is good that you coding guys can whip these things out so easily.

Drunk? Well that is ok too but that probably explains why Temper was never finished ;) (Ok just *joking*, I know you can get sensitive when I bring that up :p )

I guess posting while intoxicated can yield interesting results.

Gruso said:
...and Temper gets pushed back another week. :p

By this point he's pushed it back so much it doesn't really matter ;)

I actually work on it every day, have been for a while. Even while drunk!

Exophase said:

Aw come on I don't mention it that much. Sometimes in passing when talking about emus in general I mention it. I have only inquired about its progress a few times. This time I did it as a joke just to kid around with you.

Anyway I don't mean to annoy you. I hope that you won't take it as something negative from me mentioning it occasionally. I would hope you would take it as a complement (I could only dream of someone pestering me to do some stupid picture or interface design). I appreciate the great work that you put into your emus (GPSP the other). I appreciate the attention to the optimisations and the compatibility that Temper has. As you wrote that from scratch and the result is amazing, it is a big accomplishment to me. I can't even write a stupid script so to me it is almost like magic. I would hope that you would like that someone acknowledges your efforts. So sorry if I seem to nag or something, didn't mean it like that.

So go have a beer, cheers!

CongratulationsBeer.jpg

Thanks, but I don't like beer ;) That other night I had 2/3rds a bottle of dilluted vodka >_> (horrible tasting but extremely cheap and effective stuff) I'm slowly turning into craig..

Been working on Temper's netplay again, that's finally getting polished up. I had to rewrite most of the damn GUI twice just to get a couple stupid text input widgets in. At least the code will fit better for other emulators now...

Also got the new renderer and SGX support done, which both took way way way more work than I anticipated because of some really subtle nonsense that made my approaches pretty annoying. Unfortunately I only did the C version, and I'm not releasing something on ARM w/o ARM versions, not about to take a big step back in performance.

Would be nice to get this thing done and work on other emulators instead. So I could have more out aside from Temper and gpSP. Maybe I should release that Gameboy emulator I did for that competition ;p

Exophase said:
Gruso said:
...and Temper gets pushed back another week. :p

Oh cool, the shithoused version of Temper. Now were talking serious fun! ;)

WizardStan said:
DaveC said:
So I want to play something through Ginge. So I need to exit minimenu, fumble with the stylus or struggle with the spastic nubs, load XFCE, poke around through the menus, load a terminal, type that crap or press up or whatever, then navigate the clumsy XFCE find the emu then load it, then load the ROM and after 10 minutes of screwing around I can finally play something. No thanks, not worth it, too many steps as compared to just tapping the d-pad a couple of times to the icon and running the emu. There needs to be a better way.
Press <select>, choose "Run a terminal/console", type that command.
You can also put that command into a shell script in the /usr/bin directory named something easy and short so you don't have to type out such a long command every time.

edit: here you go
Dump that in the /appdata/ginge directory. It'll replace the default execution script. This one removes the filter before starting the gp2x menu and then restores it to default when it's done. Can be called from XFCE or minimenu.
Ok, neat, I added that information to the wiki Ginge description: http://pandorawiki.org/Emulator_list

Kinda weird that this isn't a default option, but at least there's a simple way to do it now.

(a lot of people don't like using command lines, to be frank)

Back