3D Printing

I'm not really all that interested in building one. If I bought the components, they'd likely sit there whilst I do other things, then I'd lose one or two of the parts. Plus I'm not exactly confident in my building capabilities

Just seen there's a cheaper one on the site

http://www.bitsfrombytes.com/store/rapman-32-3d-printer-kit-extreme-nbhe

Although I've just seen that's a kit you have to build too... At least you'll get all the right components.

Also think about the software :

"At this point in time, Axon 2 is only available on Windows OS."

The reprap is fully open source, i talked to community members. Motivations/goals are the same than here.

I encourage you to take some time to watch their wiki and machines. Just my cent.

The whole open/closed source doesn't really bother me and I run Windows on all my computers (except one of my servers, and the Pandora).

But thanks for your input. I'll have a look through their wiki etc.

It's not definate I'm going to get one, because they're still quite expensive, and I don't really know what I'd use it for yet, but I'm sure there are plenty of things.

I'm using the one at Newcastle university, however I'm interested in Reprap.

Has anyone printed and built their own printer? Is it a huge complex job?

Group building sessions are usually a two day job, including barbecues and beer sessions.

The day 3D printers go mainstream at your local department store is the day we step into a Star Trek (replicator) future. :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've built the previous version of this one:

http://www.makergear...ies-3d-printers

It's really easy to assemble (since a lot of the more fiddly stuff is preassembled), quality is good and it's fully compatible with all reprap software (same electronics, etc.).

The best thing about this one are the solid instructions you get:

http://www.makergear.com/pages/mosaic-instructions

To get the best results you will want to do calibrations which are more time consuming than the assembly itself and need a lot of research (each combination of arduino firmware and computer software you use will require a different set of calibrations). But there have been large strides made to make the software more userfriendly, which will hopefully continue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone printed and built their own printer? Is it a huge complex job?

I've been considering building one from a kit for a while now, just need the money and time to do so.

I bought a bunch of high precision stepper motors for cheap at auction once about a year ago for just this purpose. I haven't had the space to build one though.

Wow! That's...

cheapaschips.jpg

I've been considering building one from a kit for a while now, just need the money and time to do so.
I haven't had the space to build one though.

These are the reasons why I wasn't all that sold on building my own... because I would be the same. I bough kit to connect my old C64 drive to my PC to copy off some old stuff, never made it. I bought kit to build a guitar distortion pedal, never built it...

Back