I would like to learn 3D-modelling, but I don't know where to start.

Prometheus

Well, it's like the title says.

In my efforts to better my crafting, I'm already feeling a little bit restricted by Shapeways' Image Popper tool, and I would like to learn how to make 3D models in .stl format, suitable for 3D-printing at Shapeways.

I would have just used the TinkerCAD, but it doesn't support Linux, and it doesn't support the version of Mac OS X that I use, either, so it's a no-go. This is a shame, as

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KCaenAGeK_Q?feature=oembed - like a painting program, but in 3D.

This being the case, my only option is to learn from scratch on software that will run on my computers. However, it's one of those very intimidating fields for an outsider with no knowledge of it whatsoever*, and I really have no idea where to start!

*(My only real experience of it was with a modelling application that came free with a magazine which used a similar approach to TinkerCAD, though I can't remember its name, followed some years later by going in with similar expectations and trying to figure out Blender once, and quickly getting scared off by it.)

The most important thing for me, is being able to export .stl files for 3D-printing at Shapeways.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are to learn from scratch and as a hobby, go for BLENDER.

Within the payed packages, MAYA or MAX will get you more accessible industry work offers. Though IMO they both suck to the xtreme and cost zillions.

Altough a biased opinion, If you can afford some, go for LIGHTWAVE. It is the simplest to learn, one of the very first 3d packs out there and by a huge far, the fastest of them all, has a great open GL and in case you are into the render part of it all, it has a VPR, something years ahead of the competition and something I can´t live without anymore and thanks God for that.

Oh it does model quite nice too, has some complications as usual when exporting things.

Within the realm of payed apps, LIGHTWAVE is the cheapest and priced around 800$.

If your primary objective is the printing, you may have to research first some way to convert files or plugins to export to your desire.

The general suggestion is Blender. Massively powerful and probably the most effective if you take the time to learn it. Unfortunately, it's learning curve is basically a vertical line with some bumps along the way to give the feeling of making progress. From what I have read, it can also export stl files though I'm not in a position to try it myself right now.

edit: which is to say I don't really think there is much of a choice short of spending hundreds or more for software. Just be aware of what you're getting into. Blender is powerful, and once you actually start using it you'll find how well it was designed, but until you've used it enough to memorize most of the common commands it will be an uphill climb.

Thanks, erico and Stan.

I guess Blender's the way to go, it seems. It will be worth the effort, I'm sure. :D

@erico - I should have specified, I'm a seamstress! I'm looking into this from the angle of 3D-printing accessories for one-off toys and prototypes. :D Something open source is preferable, as the majority of my hardware runs Linux. Something expensive is, unfortunately, overkill.

@erico - I should have specified, I'm a seamstress! I'm looking into this from the angle of 3D-printing accessories for one-off toys and prototypes. :D Something open source is preferable, as the majority of my hardware runs Linux. Something expensive is, unfortunately, overkill.

Then Blender shall it be, like Wizardstan already said, its learning curve is hardcore, but I take it that if you already do some 3d somewhere else, it will make it easier and also, blender has tons of tutorial in all languages.

I do work on payed app of my choice, but I have blender sideways it all the time. It may take a heck of a lot time for you to master it, but it will be worth it, and their 3d renderer for games is open too as far as I know. Liquid and physics are so great!

While you are giving´em a try, check Sculptris too, can be a very nice companion.

Hey, you beat me to mentioning Scuptris! But yes, while Blender is *BRUTALLY* difficult, you can make some pretty awesome stuff, given time.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/HomAZcKm3Jo?feature=oembed

I kinda stopped making stuff- my computer's not that powerful and my artistic talents are terrible. Still, I hope to one day make something as good as Sintel.

@Prom. I really hope you don't mean seamstress in the Discworld sense :eek: (hem, hem) :lol:

I reached the first bump on the learning cliff and sort of left it for a while for a primitive* based modeling project. The key combos & such in Blender are awesome, but you can't learn anything without constant referral to the manual/tutorials.

Also, don't be fooled by its gui-ness, you can't guess what each button does by looking at it!

*i.e. not mesh based

I think a 3d package is more close to a programming ide and its compiler.

Either you have a lot of time to learn a new language or your job/function/research determines you to do so. :(

Don´t worry if BLENDER sound impossible, it will sure be a great companion to what you already know.

@Prom. I really hope you don't mean seamstress in the Discworld sense :eek: (hem, hem) :lol:
I, frankly, have no idea what you're on about, Binky... I've never read any of the Discworld books...

I sew. It's what I do. :p

Also, don't be fooled by its gui-ness, you can't guess what each button does by looking at it!
That's what got me the last time I tried it! I'm comforted by the presence of better documentation and from-the-ground-up video tutorials this time, at least.

Don´t worry if BLENDER sound impossible, it will sure be a great companion to what you already know.
In my case, I know nothing about 3D-modelling at all. :lol: This should be fun, though - it's knowing that the results will be worth it that's going to make it enjoyable, even if it is difficult.

I also would recommend Blender. The new interface should be much more beginner friendly than the mess from the past. I still use the old Blender (2.49) because I learned the programm with the old Interface and the old Hotkeys. But There already a gazillion tutorials for the newer Blender versions. :) Blender has really many possible ressources of learning step-by-step, including Videos and the Blender Wiki.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

User Manual for Blender 2.6

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual

Quickstart tutorials:

http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/

free materials, ready to go:

http://matrep.parastudios.de/

...and so on... ;)

Learning the basics. I'm not looking to do animation right now, just to be able to tell various bits and pieces from a hole in the wall.

Blender is your best call.

Whatever you learn into it, will be the "same" on the pro packs.

Blender is a full package, others or free may not carry enough.

Void is a nice modeler alternative:

http://digitalfossils.com/default.aspx

Sculptris is great for those ´art´moments, not as good when precision modeling comes in.

AC3D seems to be a general preferred choice too.

There are plenty of 3d modelers out there ;) .

I have to support Blue Protoman.

Wings3D is really nice - not just for beginners.

I use it always for my low poly modelling. And there are PLENTY of tutorials video on youtube :D

And furthermore it is written in a functional programming language. :)

Back