206mhz 64mb Ram Full Usb Port?

OmarNawaz

could opie run on a gp32 like this?

what are the limitations?

isnt it possible to upgrade the bios flash because on the pcb it seems there is .
more room for a bigger chip, maybe then we can have crucial files load from bios

kindly tell me if i am talking out my arse :huh:

OmarNawaz posted on Mar 7 2005 at 06:10 AM said:
could opie run on a gp32 like this?

what are the limitations?

isnt it possible to upgrade the bios flash because on the pcb it seems there is .
more room for a bigger chip, maybe then we can have crucial files load from bios

kindly tell me if i am talking out my arse :huh:

google it -

mr spiv used to do a ram mod

Last edited by a moderator:
I've managed to compile Matchbox some months ago -- it looks perfect for the GP32. The only pain was to compile it from CVS: it took 2 days patching it around, but I think they have merged the patches already.

I just haven't run the final binary, as the filesystem growed too much to take place on initrd. I'll try to mount it after boot through my USB hub just to see how it will run on the GP32. Just to have an idea of its size and dependencies:

284K Expat
292K Fontconfig
212K JPEG
44K LibOGG
392K LibPNG
1.4M Matchbox
5.6M Xserver

These are packages without man/info pages, headers, documentation, pkgconfig/aclocal data, locales and static libraries. All binaries are stripped too, so I think we cannot get a Matchbox system smaller than this.

For those interested, this is the url to the project:
http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/

Lucas

ingeras posted on Mar 10 2005 at 09:08 AM said:
cool
keep us informed
send some screenshots
the big problem is the xserver ...
maybe we can use a smaller one ?
try with nanox and nxlib ?
The X server is quite fast and small enough I think. But that is the xlibs that use a lot of ram.

Maybe we could replace the X server with a vncserver, and launch a framebuffer vnc viewer locally?

About nxlibs, I could run xminesweeper on nano-x althought it is a X app.
I haven't tried other apps.

Sonic-NKT posted on Apr 9 2005 at 04:31 PM said:
any update on this?
matchbox on the gp32 would be very cool.

I've just moved to a new home, and I'm now just missing an internet connection there (doing that from the University). The good thing is that it took less time than I was expecting to continue working on it. I'll play a little on the Xserver/Matchbox thing this weekend and will post news in the next days.

Lucas

Sonic-NKT posted on Apr 15 2005 at 12:29 AM said:
thanks for the update...
cant wait.... ;)
I had managed to compile matchbox and all the required libraries, the total size of the files was simply HUGE... I had tried to launch matchbox, but I did'nt succeed, I think I ran out of memory...

Unfortunately I don't have lot of time to work on it right now... but do we really need a window manager? is the gp32 designed to launch many apps at the same time? I don't think so, or at least each app doesn't need its own window... what do you think?

hmm it would b nice to have a windowmanager... but you could also code a nice GUI in FB and then start a application of that. then you would save ram.
do you mean something like that?

EDIT: still it would be nice to have a full x server on the gp32..
argh if the ram mod would be easier.. i would do it.

hmm.. but then some of those linux coders would have to have one too, to code one.

Back