Nifty USB ethernet + USB Hub

Elanzer

I just thought I'd share this awesome little unit I got off dealextreme that works perfectly with the Pandora:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-2-0-3-port-hub-with-rj45-ethernet-network-lan-adapter-20cm-cable-51436

The ethernet chip inside of it is the "MosChip MCS7830" so it's supported natively by the Pandora and nothing needs to be installed, just have to create a new wired connection in the wired panel to enable it.

The USB hub works well as well, the ports themselves can swivel around, and I have hooked up my keyboard, mouse, USB DAC/Amp, and external hardrive to it without issues. I did also hook up my N900 to the hub and put it into mass storage mode to grab a couple files, for some reason the Pandora started emiting some sort of hissing the moment the N900 was connected to the hub - maybe power strain because the phone was also charging off the Pandora?

USB audio was easy as cake to utilize as well, simply plugging it in made it show up as an output device for DeaDBeeF, the moment I switched it over sound started coming from my speakers and headphones.

It does seem to put a considerable amount of power load on the Pandora. At 85% battery idling at the desktop, the Pandora gives me an estimated battery life of 11 hours 15 minutes (on a side-note, I set my Pandora to the second lowest screen brightness and this changed to 14 hours and 25 minutes). The moment I plugged the adapter in (with nothing plugged into it), this dropped to 5 hours and 7 minutes.

Here's a picture of it connected to my audio setup, using my logitech mouse and an external HDD (power by wall-wart, and where the music is located). The lighting is pretty crappy in my room so it's hard to get a good quality picture.

pandorahub.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of this one being sold with the beagleboard. That one actually includes an adapter for optional external power. Does this one support that as well?

Yeah looks the same as the beagleboard authorized one, just looks like this version uses a different plastic case.

Reminds me of this one being sold with the beagleboard. That one actually includes an adapter for optional external power. Does this one support that as well?

I was wondering about what that was for.

Yes, this one has the jack for the optional external power. It doesn't come with the adapter though. It uses just a plain 5v DC adapter, infact it looks like you can use the Pandora's adapter itself for it. Pretty pointless to do that though..

Last edited by a moderator:
So... If being used with a powered USB hub...

Can the Pandora plug into the hub with the USB A to use the hub's ports AND with the USB OTG to get a maintenance charge off of the hub at the same time?

(I don't see why not)

If so... would the Pandora see itself through the hub as a mass storage device? Pointless, but could be somewhat entertaining.

I bought a similar USB hub with ethernet a year or so ago when it looked like my Pandora was weeks away. It is still in it's retail PITA to open plastic shell.

Through time I also bought a pair of 16GB SDHC cards - then a pair of 32GB SDHC cards, a quad-folding USB keyboard, a quad-folding Bluetooth keyboard (the -old- stowaway design that butterflies), a DC adapter, screen protectors (no idea where they are now), don't recall what else.

All for a device that I seem to be eternally 2 Months from having. (I'm in the 1250 range in CraigIX's queue.)

I'm glad to hear that a device like the above worked - it gives me hope that the one I have sitting on my shelf might work too.

Back to waiting.

If so... would the Pandora see itself through the hub as a mass storage device? Pointless, but could be somewhat entertaining.
Yes it can. I actually demonstrated that just today for a coworker because I was being silly and showing off :)

Back