1st Person Shooter Recommendation - With Local Coop & Bots

Ian J

Advanced Member
As per title, we've just got back into FPS after quite a while away from the genre.

We used to play Battlefield 2 on LAN, the beauty was that even if there were only half a dozen of us the game made up the numbers with Bots.

Yes they were a bit dumb but it was a lot better than playing with idiots on-line.

Can anyone recommend a game with similar specs?

Heard that Left for Dead may play similar.

I have no idea if it is similar - still on my to-do list to try it -  Enemy territory wolfenstein seems to have a pretty active community and they have included bot ability. Free game, the source is released and still being improved (see ET: Legacy) You can set up a server yourself to play against bots. 

Old game, but might be interesting. 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/erjHUe6gZPw?feature=oembed

UT2004?

I know it's old but honestly I find all new FPS to be quite pathetic...

Last edited by a moderator:
Unreal Tournament series are good games and there are a ton of mods!

I hate FPS, UT are the only ones I ever enjoyed playing (I massively owned the asses of my friends even if I was playing with a trackball… I played these games too much B) ).

well, UT3 suck, at least in single player... the bots are damn useless... they are completely dumb...

I've lost many mission while completely owning every single bot I met... When you play 2vs4 (a way to compensate for the pathetic bot level?) and you're teammate stays without moving in a leviatan, not participating in any way to the mission you're basically f*#&ed... even when the bots are free point you can't attack a point and defend your own at once...

I have yet to find something that went out after Q3/UT2004 that is playable... most seems dumbed down gamepad fps, skill're no more needed

Well, never played UT3, the latest I bought was 2004.

The first UT was the one I played the most with my friends ;)

well, I'm not saying that the bot are really less inteligent in UT3, but when you just have one bot in an attack/defend and he decide to camp in a cool tank far away from any objective and don't respond to order that's kind of game breaking... to me it's by far the worst UT... I loved the first most, but 2003/2004 are nice too and offer some cool new features

Damn BF2 was my answer after reading the title. Enemy Territory: Quake Wars is quite good, too. I remember playing the sh out of a demo years ago.

If you and your friend are O.K. with a story shooter though, go get System Shock 2 and install the latest patch bringing you better gfx and co-op. Make sure you deactivate all CPUs but one (will crash otherwise) and play on the hardest setting! This game was my best co-op experience, followed by Borderlands. Not so much for the balancing and gameplay mechanics, but enjoying a good story with a friend and just working together. Also try Dead Island.

Edit: Counter Strike: Condition Zero has bots, too. Dunno about the newer ones.

Many thanks for the recommendations, some titles there for us to look through.

Open arena is a good open source fps that supports multi player, along with alien arena.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

Um, does Perfect dark for n64 or Killzone ps2 count?

You could try to babysit my niece and nephew.  They're terrors.  I have almost given up multiple times.

Edit 1:  No, but seriously there are HALO LAN parties around that you should check out, good shoot em' up kind of game.

Back