128gb SDXC Card?

Yet, after only a few days later it turns out that the being almost totally full (ca 9 GB free), what I hav enow begun to notice is: Recently saved files are obviously overwritten by most recently saved files :(
Grey big parts on photos photoshopped with Pinta in the morning, they look like grey blocks in the afternoon :(
With my previous 256 GB one, the files just disappeared and turned into trash signs. Here, pictures stay but turn into grey allover.
Seeing no other way than ask for a refund (second time, same company, I´m getting tired, many hours, and some files, lost again).
Seems I´m not really lucky with 256 GB cards.
I rather get two more 128 GB ones - never had a problem ;)

Last edited:
I think issues with cards can happen with any brand/company or card-size. The problem is that most reviewers only seem to review short term performances and don't give it real life use and longer term tests. Please correct me if I am wrong though, would love to see better comparisons.
My experience is that most cards work fine one or two years and then some of them start to fail (usually by suddenly becoming read only). On the other hand I still have the first 32 GB card I bought from Sandisk that is still working like a charm in my Pandora.
My favorite sd cards are now from Sandisk and the loyalty is based on this SD card but to be honest since then I also had Sandisk cards failing on me. I am still a loyal Sandisk buyer until someone can convince me another company makes a better product (for a similar price). Too much conflicting anecdotal (like mine) reports of users.

Thanks for your feedback. I so much like the idea of having "all in a box" sothat I am going to take a third dive - looking for Sandisk now.
Other than these two previous 256 GB (fake?) cards, yes, my old Samsung shredded two cards in 5 years, all my other old ones including one > 10 years old MMC card still work like on the first day. I have also never had a HD crash (so far): But this week I´ve been pretty great at breaking things :D during an easy soldering job I accidently broke a scanner display - pure dumbness....

Ok. New 256 GB card arrived here (Lexar), works brilliant in Pandora so far (all full with over 230 GB, two evenings of testing, no problems).
Let the PC work overnight with h2test to check the Kingston faulty one - full writing and full reading - now it´s fine as well!
Let Windows check it - "no mistakes found"! lol
And the other day it was "beyond repair" in Windows and ca. 1 % of files were lost/corrupted.

Thanks for feedback :) I am making a test right now, and will report, then use it and use it and use it, and if I never report here again, 256 GB at 110 Euros work flawlessly in CC Pandora.
So far the Lexar is great. As I said, The 256 (second hand) Kingston showed defect signs at day two last week. I wonder if this has to do with FAT32 (done with GParted on Pandora) rather than exFat done by Windows 8 (on an old-fashioned desktop computer) but I guess there is a reason why second-hand media are second-hand media...
EDIT No file system errors (or any errors) found :)

Bottom line: You "save" 15 Euros and buy a used one...and pay in time ;)

Too bad Lexar stopped making memory cards. I have indeed seen quite a few reports of satisfied customers but in most reviews they mentioned Lexar cards were a bit more expensive for less performance.
Maybe they made a excellent quality product and gullible customers like myself are only looking at the 'sponsored' or 'who is the fastest' reviews causing them to stop production. Would be nice to see your experience a few months or year from now.

Too bad Lexar stopped making memory cards.
They never left the market. Crucial and Lexar are Micron's brand names for end-user products, their chips simply end up in memory cards with a different brand being printed on top now.

After 2 months with no problems, got a second one of these 256 GB Lexars :)

I recommend to format it with GParted - because the "Create Pandora SD card" format somehow seems to limit it to 2 GB just now...hmmm...running h2test2 now over the day, and will report back.

EDIT All fine, no problems,. GParted => 256 GB => no problems after week 1!

Last edited:
Just to say that I ordered a 256GB card, it arrived quite a few weeks ago but today I finally got a chance to use it. Copied over about 40GB onto it and it seems to be working just fine on my wee Pandora.

One strange issue: I formatted the card using mkfs.ext4 on a different Linux system but the Pandora claimed that it could not use the partition due to some options (cannot remember the exact error message). Tried to make the ext4 file system on the Pandora itself but this did not help. Eventually, I use mkfs.ext3 instead and that worked just fine.

Thanks to all that responded to my original query.

ext4 filesystems can take a 64-bit option iirc which has caught me out in the past when building filesystems for other machines on my newish 64-bit x86 box. It might have been that - I think I had that trouble building a SD card for my SBC.

ext4 did get some new more optimized structures over the past years, if these ended up being used at some point the filesystem ends up being unusable by older ext4 drivers, of course. The Pandora's kernel got pretty old by now...

Those are unrelated to the CPU, though. Generally speaking mass storage is simply too slow that any architecture-optimized structuring would do any good - and I doubt the devs would implement such optimizations without providing a simple fallback.

Interesting. Thanks for the explanations.

Been using the Pandora all day and it's working fine. I'm very happy with the extra space and the future proofing for use on the Pyra!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

For SD/SDXC media to use with the Pandora, I found EXT2 to be the fastest and most stable option. I tried EXT4, but games loaded slower and I encountered a few portability issues similar to above. EXT2 is old enough that it isn't getting changed much anymore - which is what I'm after in mobile media.

Almost 6 months with almost daily use of 2x256 GB SD cards in classic Pandora, still all well, never had any problems :)

Back