128gb SDXC Card?

Hate to go off topic, but what are some good places for affordable SD cards? I vaguely remember something about avoiding fakes...
Did I see the Prometheus-signal? :p

To give a quick and very basic run-down: Avoid eBay. Check the likes of Newegg (if you're US-based) to get a handle on what current reasonable prices online should be. Be mindful that vendors of fakes are increasingly raising their prices to match those of genuine cards in an effort not to make people suspicious right off the bat. If you have the means to purchase from Newegg, that's probably the best bet. If you're unable to shop online, but can find a good deal at a local brick-and-mortar store of good renown, go with that.

That's it in a nutshell.

also its always good to check the online deal sites, for US, its slickdeals.net deals.woot.com or few other ones, but those are my go to places, and im sure theres sites like this for EU as well, but not my strong point. of course as mentioned, newegg and superbiiz(owned by newegg) are always a safe bet

Hate to go off topic, but what are some good places for affordable SD cards? I vaguely remember something about avoiding fakes...
Did I see the Prometheus-signal? :p

To give a quick and very basic run-down: Avoid eBay. Check the likes of Newegg (if you're US-based) to get a handle on what current reasonable prices online should be. Be mindful that vendors of fakes are increasingly raising their prices to match those of genuine cards in an effort not to make people suspicious right off the bat. If you have the means to purchase from Newegg, that's probably the best bet. If you're unable to shop online, but can find a good deal at a local brick-and-mortar store of good renown, go with that.

That's it in a nutshell.
Dam... I wanted to turn on the prometheus signal! I think we could eliminate the whole need for the prometheus signal(pictured in my head like the bat signal except with megaman) if you had your own Pinned Fake-SD Thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 64 GB SDXC SanDisk Ultra that I've been attempting to use in my Pandora... Just got it yesterday and still haven't been able to get it to work right. It gives me write errors when I attempt to place files into the apps subfolder among other issues I've had. I've tried the following:

When I first inserted the card it did nothing, didn't appear on the desktop. Opened up terminal and typed: sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0 (use mmcblk1 for the second slot)

't' then '83' to change the partition type to linux, then 'w' to save.

sudo mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1

Then wait about 10 minutes while it formats.

And that seems to be ineffective. Any progress being made on making the SDXC compatible or is there something I can do to make it work? I had read a while back that it was going to be compatible with the Pandora which led me to buying it and I'd hate to have to resell it... Especially if I'm just missing something obvious here.
Someone on this forum got a 64GB card and had to find a XD card reader to format it to the full 64 gigs. I don't remember him saying there were errors just that it was only formatted as 32GB. He used gparted on the Pandora to get it to work though, you might want to try that. I'm not sure if you're trying this on the Pandora or another computer but you can format it directly on the Pandora. I'd go to the wiki and get gparted if I were you.

Here is the thread that this quote is from. I'd give gparted a try.

I just got a Transcend 64GB which works fine with the Pandora. I tried to format it on my desktop initially (through an SDHC adapter), but it would only do it as 32GB. Then I remembered we've got Gparted on the Pandora (thanks Sebt3); that did it no problem :)

Ok so I got gparted and ran it. The format was apparently successful to ext2... However, when i attempt to add folders to the stick the option to create folders is greyed out, implying to me that something went wrong. Any ideas?

I have a 64 GB SDXC SanDisk Ultra that I've been attempting to use in my Pandora... Just got it yesterday and still haven't been able to get it to work right. It gives me write errors when I attempt to place files into the apps subfolder among other issues I've had. I've tried the following:

When I first inserted the card it did nothing, didn't appear on the desktop. Opened up terminal and typed: sudo fdisk /dev/mmcblk0 (use mmcblk1 for the second slot)

't' then '83' to change the partition type to linux, then 'w' to save.

sudo mkfs.ext3 -m 0 /dev/mmcblk0p1

Then wait about 10 minutes while it formats.

And that seems to be ineffective. Any progress being made on making the SDXC compatible or is there something I can do to make it work? I had read a while back that it was going to be compatible with the Pandora which led me to buying it and I'd hate to have to resell it... Especially if I'm just missing something obvious here.
Someone on this forum got a 64GB card and had to find a XD card reader to format it to the full 64 gigs. I don't remember him saying there were errors just that it was only formatted as 32GB. He used gparted on the Pandora to get it to work though, you might want to try that. I'm not sure if you're trying this on the Pandora or another computer but you can format it directly on the Pandora. I'd go to the wiki and get gparted if I were you.

Here is the thread that this quote is from. I'd give gparted a try.

I just got a Transcend 64GB which works fine with the Pandora. I tried to format it on my desktop initially (through an SDHC adapter), but it would only do it as 32GB. Then I remembered we've got Gparted on the Pandora (thanks Sebt3); that did it no problem :)
Ok so I got gparted and ran it. The format was apparently successful to ext2... However, when i attempt to add folders to the stick the option to create folders is greyed out, implying to me that something went wrong. Any ideas?

You need to change permissions I bet. Open the root directory in Thunar(the windows manager) navigate to the directory that has both SD cards in it, probably /mnt or /media and right click the SD card and go to properties. I'm in Gnome right now but in that window I bet there is a permissions tab there just like in gnome. Change the permissions from root to what ever you user is. I usually give others the ability to read and create folders also.

I'm going to search online to see if it is different in XFCE.

EDIT: It might not let you change permissions like I said above, if a prompt doesn't open up and ask for your password it won't work.

You might need to open a terminal and type

Code:
sudo thunar
or

Code:
su thunar
and that will give you a windows that you can navigate to the SD card and change the permission.

It might just be easier to change the permission through the command line but it has been so long since I did it I can't remember exactly how. I'm sure someone will jump in and let you know how.

I formatted mine to Fat32 using Disk Utility on Ununtu and haven't had any problem with it. Do you have a computer running Linux if so then open Disk Utility and erase Partition then reformat it to Fat32. I didn't use the Pandora to format it so I can't help you there. Hope this helps. B)

I think now all he needs is to change the permissions, if something went wrong gparted would have said something. I don't have my Pandora yet so I don't know if the card is found in /mnt or /media.

Try this:

Code:
sudo chown -R username:username /mnt/SD

sudo chmod -R 755 /mnt/SD

You need to change username to your username of course and change SD to whatever your card is named. Also it might not be in /mnt, it might be in /media in which case you would change it to this '/media/SD'

It really isn't as confusing as I'm making it sound. If I had my Pandora I'd be a lot more help.

I think now all he needs is to change the permissions, if something went wrong gparted would have said something. I don't have my Pandora yet so I don't know if the card is found in /mnt or /media.

Try this:

Code:

You need to change username to your username of course and change SD to whatever your card is named. Also it might not be in /mnt, it might be in /media in which case you would change it to this '/media/SD'

It really isn't as confusing as I'm making it sound. If I had my Pandora I'd be a lot more help.
To make it less confusing:

If it's in the left slot: replace /mnt/SD with /media/mmcblk0p1

if it's in the right slot: replace /mnt/SD with /media/mmcblk1p1

So, assuming it's in the left slot:

Code:
sudo chown -R username:username /media/mmcblk0p1

sudo chmod -R 755 /media/mmcblk0p1

Try this:

Code:

To make it less confusing:

If it's in the left slot: replace /mnt/SD with /media/mmcblk0p1

if it's in the right slot: replace /mnt/SD with /media/mmcblk1p1

Code:

So I tried to take ownership of it and it returned an error: cannot access, there is no such file or directory.

It is mounted and visible and appears to gparted as ext2.... and it's mount point exists in the media folder. ?

Code:

So I tried to take ownership of it and it returned an error: cannot access, there is no such file or directory.

It is mounted and visible and appears to gparted as ext2.... and it's mount point exists in the media folder. ?
/media/mmcblk... hasn't been used since hotfix3. As of hotfix 4 it mounts to the cards name. Execute "mount" to see what the real mount point is.

Code:

/media/mmcblk... hasn't been used since hotfix3. As of hotfix 4 it mounts to the cards name. Execute "mount" to see what the real mount point is.

BAM! And working! That bit about the hotfix 4 was the missing piece of the puzzle!

Er...

So I guess my cards are unnamed. HF5 and it's mounting to /media/mmcblk...

Whoops. Sorry 'bout that.

Ok, I know's it's been a while, but has anyone had any success with the Lexar 128gb card? I'm thinking about getting 1 ^_^

EDIT:

and by "thinking about" I mean I just ordered 2

EDIT 2:

I will have the highest capacity Pandora in the world!!! Mwahahaha! Tremble!

Ok, I know's it's been a while, but has anyone had any success with the Lexar 128gb card? I'm thinking about getting 1
happy.gif

EDIT:

and by "thinking about" I mean I just ordered 2

EDIT 2:

I will have the highest capacity Pandora in the world!!! Mwahahaha! Tremble!
WOW!! and I thought 2 32gb class 6's were a lot. :blink:

I would love to find out how these cards worked out in the Pandora.

Last edited:
Thread was resurrected by a necropost...

In another thread looking at Lexar 128GB SDXC cards and the table on the Wiki, a few facts came out.

128GB Lexar cards work in the Pandora. A 256GB Pandora is attainable if you can afford it.

Some 10X cards cross the 16MB/sec threshold that maxes out the Pandora's SD slots transfer rate.

The above 16X 64GB SDXC card might work - but would still be speed capped on reads in the Pandora if it does work. There might be some room for write performance gains.

The pretec post & link should probably have started a new topic?

Back