128gb SDXC Card?

I had gotten a 64GB Transcend Class 10 that failed to be recognized by the Pandora in all but a spare few cases; anyone know if it's particular cards that are iffy, or just that my Pandora is iffy? If I was pretty sure I wouldn't get burned by a 128GB card, I'd go for it, as I have a lot of stuff I'd like to take with me...

64GB Transcend Class 10 that failed to be recognized by the Pandora in all but a spare few cases; anyone know if it's particular cards that are iffy
http://pandorawiki.o...patibility_list - other people have seen major issues with some Transcend and Kingston cards, so it's not just you.

I can personally vouch for the 32GB PNY and the 8GB 30MB/s SanDisk cards. I wouldn't recommend getting a large card unless there's a smaller one by the same manufacturer on that list with good or at least "working" status.

128GB Lexar cards work in the Pandora. A 256GB Pandora is attainable if you can afford it.
my primary laptop's internal storage is a 128GB SSD. I'd potentially feel a bit silly having more capacity in my pandora.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're really itching for space, you're only an external enclosure away from terabytes of information ;)

I had gotten a 64GB Transcend Class 10 that failed to be recognized by the Pandora in all but a spare few cases; anyone know if it's particular cards that are iffy, or just that my Pandora is iffy? If I was pretty sure I wouldn't get burned by a 128GB card, I'd go for it, as I have a lot of stuff I'd like to take with me...
I've just got the same card. It wasn't recognised initially, presumably formatted with exFAT. But I've formatted it to ext2 through fdisk by command line on the Pandora itself and it works fine now. I did do it using a standard SD-USB adapter in the USB port but I don't think it makes a difference. Oh, and I did have to change permissions as mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm not a big fan of doing that through Thunar though, I did it with a 'chmod 777 -R /media/pandrom', pandrom being the name of the partition I created.

Also, there was some reports of size inconsistency among different cards. Try putting a peice of electrical tape on top of it and see if that makes it more reliable.

Sometimes I think the buyer may get a bit carried away with the sd card.

Sort of like a rolex alarm clock.

In other words, is all that really necessary or beneficial to have?

Last edited:
If you're really itching for space, you're only an external enclosure away from terabytes of information ;)
Duct tape!

@Scoobydoo In a way, it can be pretty useful having all that space. Think about what you could do with it! You could rip your entire PS1 library to it! Dump Wikipedia! Your movie collection- BOOM.

Don't get me started on what you could create in that space...

Don't get me started on what you could create in that space...
The Mega Man novel for the ages.
grin.gif

i might have to get two of these when i sell my laticaudas in a few months, when there old enough to be sold, they would pay for two cards nicely.

I was under the impression that any sd card over class 6 is overkill??

My understanding is that that's pretty much the case, but it can be useful if you more often use a separate card-reader connected to or installed in your computer to transfer things to the card. :p

My understanding is that that's pretty much the case, but it can be useful if you more often use a separate card-reader connected to or installed in your computer to transfer things to the card. :p
Does this include games?? Because I thought that was the main culprit ? :huh:

Last edited:
It includes pretty much any large file. So, say you ripped a DVD box-set of some sort, and then just set it all to copy to the card... It would probably be a bit quicker with a higher-speed one.

Of course, it makes no difference at all if you've got other things to do and can just leave it to transfer. :lol: If you're in a hurry, though, it's likely to be pretty helpful.

It includes pretty much any large file. So, say you ripped a DVD box-set of some sort, and then just set it all to copy to the card... It would probably be a bit quicker with a higher-speed one.

Of course, it makes no difference at all if you've got other things to do and can just leave it to transfer. :lol: If you're in a hurry, though, it's likely to be pretty helpful.
So in your opinion, do you think the ends justifiy the means from a monetary standpoint?? Because I am tempted to take the 128 class10 sd card plunge :p

Last edited:
I'm too pessimistic to buy anything over 8GB. In my experience if there is any kind of physical error, you're pretty much f*cked with little/no chance of recovery.

So in your opinion, do you think the ends justifiy the means from a monetary standpoint?? Because I am tempted to take the sd card plunge :p
In my opinion, no, not really. :p But I stress that that opinion is influenced by my own usage patterns, and by a previous bad experience with a Class 6 card that doesn't play nice with the Pandora. (Basically, that card kept losing stuff randomly, and it turned out to be due to a bad controller chip that didn't seem to like the Pandora. Or anything else.)

I just stick with Class 4 SanDisk cards, as they've proven to be faultlessly reliable. I don't need any more speed than that, as most of what I work with is not sufficiently large in filesize to require a higher speed card.

"Your mileage may vary", as they say.

Last edited by a moderator:

So in your opinion, do you think the ends justifiy the means from a monetary standpoint?? Because I am tempted to take the sd card plunge :p
In my opinion, no, not really. :p But I stress that that opinion is influenced by my own usage patterns, and by a previous bad experience with a Class 6 card that doesn't play nice with the Pandora. (Basically, that card kept losing stuff randomly, and it turned out to be due to a bad controller chip that didn't seem to like the Pandora. Or anything else.)

I just stick with Class 4 SanDisk cards, as they've proven to be faultlessly reliable. I don't need any more speed than that, as most of what I work with is not sufficiently large in filesize to require a higher speed card.

"Your mileage may vary", as they say.
Understood and agreed. ;)

Cheers to that!!

Actually No.

The classes on cards relate to write speed. For the Pandora (most uses) it is the READ speed that makes the difference.

That said, I've yet to find a Class 4 or Class 6 card that can 'top out' the ability of the Pandora to read. I have a pair of class 10 cards that bump up against the read limit (16MB/sec).

If you're using a card with less read speed than that - you're leaving capability on the carpet.

I boot from SD - so speed is important to me. If you are -only- going to stream MP3 files - maybe you won't care?

Back