Zombie Apocalypse

When are we plannning on doing the first round of 'voting'? Because it seems like we're talking about how the RTS could be done rather than giving anymore actual ideas. So before we waste too much time on how we would make it, and see if we actually might do it or not.

This project needs its own space, methinks.

PlopperZ said:
We should stick with the Quake engine for now. I think we're onto something, so lets not leave it.
Have we seriously considered it, though? Have we looked at the code? Part of researching is making sure we don't have to turn around in the future. Is it going to work with the gameplay and features we have tentatively planned?

I, for one, haven't seen the source code for Quake 1, so if someone would be so kind to link me... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
javaJake said:

PlopperZ said:
We should stick with the Quake engine for now. I think we're onto something, so lets not leave it.
Have we seriously considered it, though? Have we looked at the code? Part of researching is making sure we don't have to turn around in the future. Is it going to work with the gameplay and features we have tentatively planned?

I, for one, haven't seen the source code for Quake 1, so if someone would be so kind to link me... ;)

From what I understand, we can probably skin everything we need to, by making our own or download existing skins. Then load it into a Quake map editor and put a bunch of zombies and buildings in it and we're pretty much done. Little or no coding required.

javaJake said:

PlopperZ said:

ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/source/

If I remember correctly the Q1 source is harder to work with than Q3 cause Q3 was designed to be sold to others and used for other games while Q1 wasn't and there for doesn't have the same documentations and "easy" read build, could be that I'm mistaken or that Id has fixed that, but that's something I think I remember hearing..

Q3 seems better suited to me, if only because it's more recent. The pandora can handle it just fine.

sindbad said:
Q3 seems better suited to me, if only because it's more recent. The pandora can handle it just fine.
Yeah since if people are smart they lower the textures, models etc, wont show much difference on Pandoras relatively small screen but would make it possible to throw much more Zombies in to the screen without it eating to much resources and so on :)

PlopperZ said:
Since we'd have a (sortof) giant map. Then it would have to have respawning, especially if it's an MMO. What happens when everyone kills all ther zombies? They wouldn't immediately respawn, maybe after a half-hour or something. I say we go with Craig's idea, as it could accommodate most of our ideas, and would be a hell of a lot easier to make.
Ok, granted. :) I know Games, where Enemies spawn again if you just step one screen foreward.

Holokauston said:
Zombies walk down street >> Players build blockades >> Server puts action to memory >> Server makes Zombies do counter action

Then server keeps "score" of what the players does, counts casualties and calculates from know tactics, for ex.

57% chance players block of main street
15% Players have a Sniper on a roof
27% a lone Player goes commando in area 12
Sounds interesting. Maybe the Players really can buiold bgarricades and you get points for barricade a area as long as possible, there could come tactic into play if the Players have to hold points onto the map, remembers me a little bit on UT "Assault" or the Energy Knots in "Onslaught" mode. :) I love Teamplay.

Would be funny to have a "surviver" mode where you have to hold a house or a street as long as possible...until everyone dies at the end like in many Horror movies. :D

Hiroe said:
Although I like quake and full 3d, I think dutch_cap might be able to make a full on mmorpg if we use the fife engine. if he can make an mmo then I'm all for using fife.
While I'm flattered that you consider me a real programmer, it should be noted that I've never written a full game engine and I haven't written a single piece of networking code in my entire life. You seem to assume I'm a better programmer than JavaJake, but maybe I'm just very good at writing resumés. ;)

Good news everybody, I managed to get us permission to use these. the bad news is it's just the model, no texture and it's in hl2 format.
I'll see if I can get us sounds and textures from another source.

Hiroe said:
Good news everybody, I managed to get us permission to use these. the bad news is it's just the model, no texture and it's in hl2 format.
I'll see if I can get us sounds and textures from another source.

Not bad looking, they even have low-poly models. I wonder if we could find a way to use them with Q3.

Why can't we just have one ongoing server to imitate an mmo?

the low poly models are all I managed to get, sorry. i'll try to get usage rights for others

Hiroe said:
the low poly models are all I managed to get, sorry. i'll try to get usage rights for others
low-poly is good, uses less resources. Also someone with a Windows machine could tryThis Q3 bot creator

Low poly looks good if they are skinned nice and with some shader effects you can get very nice looking zombie for very little resources and that in turn give you the possibility to have a Zombie army walking towards you instead of just 5-10 Zombies.

Holokauston said:
Low poly looks good if they are skinned nice and with some shader effects you can get very nice looking zombie for very little resources and that in turn give you the possibility to have a Zombie army walking towards you instead of just 5-10 Zombies.
The very thought scares me.

After some quick reading through this topic I'd say we take either Q1 or Q2 and make a mod (total conversion) for it. Q1 already runs pretty smooth around 233 MHz on the GP2x. With the Pandora the speed should be effectively doubled and iirc Q2 is also open source. I also say we'd stick with FPS for now (no RTS, it can always be implemented later).

Ofcourse with a bit of stat point system, killing zombies give XP and eventually levels, which you get stat points, which you can improve stuff like damage done, rate of fire, reduce damage taken, increase movement speed, increase max ammo held, etc.

As for multiplayer, we can either host one big server (world) or 'just' regular servers with each server it's own configuration (or a global configuration 'file' for unification, and also global saving of stat points and levels and stuff across servers).

edit: We have got quite a few good ideas now. I think we can start polling. Because it's about several topics (Quake 1/2/3 mod/TC vs FIFE/EC engine, FPS vs RTS vs Mixed, no RPG elements vs 'a few' vs lots, etc), I'd say we use the Wiki for that. Sections for polling, where you write your own name under what ideas you like.

"Q1 already runs pretty smooth around 233 MHz on the GP2x."

As I understand it, this is software rendering, GP2X doesn't have hardware 3D acceleration like Pandora does, performance on Pandora will be much much higher for 3D games??

And not to rain on the parade but a poll won't really do since there is one thing to work on a project and just want to play it, I would say, set up "dummy" projects, just to see who is willing to work on what, might be that you don't have any 3D modelers then you can vote 3D FPS-RPG all you want, wont happen anyway ;P

Quake III would be the best option in my opinion. It was made for online multiplayer, it looks the best, and it's already been ported (probably at near-fullspeed). So my question is, why not Quake III?

As for voting, I say we do a poll here, because the people here are going to be the one's playing the game. No point in making something if no one wants to use it.

What the?!? Is is not already ported. I don't even thing the Pandora has the openGL ES driver yet.

Craigix said before that Quake was ported. Lol, but by the time this project is done, I'm sure there will be a very full speed QuakeIII.

Back