Zodiac vs. game.com (warning, large topic!)

The Moose

Well, jeez. If you havent seen it yet! Ive said since the first time I saw the Zodiac, "wow, another hyped up console, only to see the dungeon of "what was never meant to be."

Lets look at the similarities, shall we?...

The game.com
game-com.jpg

The first of its kind. Four face buttons, built in little proggys, calender, and four true face buttons.

The Zodiac
z2.jpg

The Zodiac also has built in features, along the lines of the same basis. Along with mp3 support, divx support, and bluetooth, what not.

The game.com featured a touch screen with a stylus, the first protable console to do so. And now, the Zodiac does.

The game.com features ONLY ports of other games for a software lineup.

tiger1t.jpg

gc-frogger-s.jpg

The Zodiac, also, only ports:

titles_1031_box_tony_06.jpg

titles_1031_main_spy_03.jpg

Other little similarities:
-2 different models of each were/are manufactured.
-Each console has 2 slots for there respected media format
-Each system has their power button on the face of the console
-Each system is endorsed by Sega :p
-Internet access was/is included.

What it my point to all this? Well, nothing really. Im just realing on these two consoles that never will/never had make/made it.
:D

You've got to be kidding. You can't even compare the game.com to the Zodiac. The game.com was a horribly underpowered mess with nothing but sloppily coded, and sometimes licensed, games from Tiger. The Zodiac has some killer hardware and actual functionality.

Yeah, but I bet Tiger have learnt from their mistakes/successes with the Game.com and put their superior experience into the Gametrac...

www.gametrac.com

IMHO it looks cool (other people hate it).

To be completely honest the Zodiac has a good chance of blowing the GP32 out of the water. It has a better host of launch games and is pretty well known already prior to launch. It's also pretty damn powerful and not that pricey. I bet within a few months of launch it will have a communtiy more powerful and larger than this one.

Well, I wouldn't buy the zodiac unless it actually had some good commercial games. It has a half served port of tony hawk, a decnet shooter, and nothing really that strikes me as interesting. The gp32 on the other hand, has games I'd actually buy a system for. I'll admit that the zodiac has more potential, but until it makes use of it I'd be weary of it.

Nobody I know in the UK has even heard of the Zodiac.... then again nobody has heard of the GP32. :eek:

My brother says that he knows someone who also has a GP32. They won't be shifting many RF units round these parts! :D 240 miles is also a little out of range for an RF unit!

Why was this in Cool Ideas and other Wishes? That forum isn't for "I wish upon a star..." type of stuff, it's suppose to be just suggestions relating to the GP32. Although what this topic has to do with suggestions is beyond me anyway.

......game.com.............thats all i really have to say, i traded that in 3 months after i got it becuase it was the most fucking bad handheld ever to grace my hands. There was however that beat that record the n-gage i bought was returned 3 days after i bought it.

White_Night posted on Dec 30 2003 at 01:32 PM said:
Does any one no when zodiac comes out it looks quite nice but what are the features...Emus or you ahve to pay £30 for every game you buy in the high streets!!??
£30 :eek: thats a bit pricy, its 30 usd for a game about 14-15 £. Emus's are coming out but dont expect them to be full speed on the first beta/alpha/version, give it 2-3 months before anything full speed will come out. Also no megadrive, since sega is porting old games for the zodiac in 3 packs for 20 usd, an emu would really drive sega away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, the GameTrac isn't made by Tiger Electronics. Go look it up. It's a completely different company that happens to have the word "Tiger" in its company name.

I'm pretty certain the Zodiac is already out and shipped in the US. If Europeans want a Zodiac, they have to find a retailer in the US willing to ship internationally.

Zodiac is a far superior piece of technology compared to the game.com. the game.com was one of those attempts at being first in the market that did things that would one day be considered standards, but was way ahead of its time. But the bad part about it was that the game.com was not technologically superior compared to the other handhelds at the time, namely GBC and GG. But it try to promote PDA like functions and the internet capabilities. It was too far ahead of its time and used to little of technological capabilities.

And on another note: anybody heard anything lately on the Phantom? I'm just curious.

ColinR posted on Dec 30 2003 at 12:33 PM said:
Yeah, but I bet Tiger have learnt from their mistakes/successes with the Game.com and put their superior experience into the Gametrac...

www.gametrac.com

IMHO it looks cool (other people hate it).
Tiger electronics doesnt make that console, it's a different company, and that console is aimed for kids 12 and under, I'm sure you dont want a console that has a tracking device in it for your parents to know where you are at all times. That uis if you have parents, and plus, thats most likely gonna be vaporware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back