Zodiac first ed. or Gp32???

GecKo

Still Fresh
I know this is probably very newbie and stuff, but I'm stuck between getting a gp32 or a Zodiac. Another option would be to get a non-flu Gp32 and wait and get a Zodiac next spring or something. My only concern is whether it'd be better to just drop the 399 for the Zodiac now and save the $180 or so of the Gp32+SMC.

Seeing as I already have 356mb of SD cards and no SMC cards or readers, it almost seems to make more sense to just swing it for the Zodiac. I really don't want to have a first generation unit and don't need a new PDA until this spring, though.

I'm stuck with my Japanese-text Wonderswan Colour now, so I'm a little desperate for a new handheld, I just don't want to drop money on a handheld that's already been outclassed, nor do I want to buy a PDA with no games and that may get an upgrade (?) before it goes retail.

The emulators sound awesome on the GP32, seeing as I never had an NES it'd be great to revisit Metal Gear roms away from home and play divx. I'm going to get a Zodiac eventually, if only as a PDA, assuming it's even moderately successful or has good homebrew. Is it worth it to buy a Gp32 now also and wait for more games and possible revisions to the Zodiac?

A dilemma for which I need advice please.... :ph34r:

I'd get the zodia $399 version if money was no problem.

The power is said to be faster than GOP and I WILL have a great emulation scene, me thinks and i will probably have SNES emu and lots of others...

The only snag is the price..... GP32 is low enough for a small mass market and hecne programmers to programme for, but if zodiac community is small then it may not tempt many programmers.

As a PDA.. it does look a bit chnunky..!

I have a GP32.. spent £140 with smc cards etc... but well worth every penny just to see R-type boot up on the GPENGINE emu...!

I agree. if you got the money, get the zodiac

GP32 is a great handheld that ive had for a while now. i just checked the tapwave zodiac site and it seems that the zodiac is now shipping. i havent seen much video of the zodiac running so far but some of the video ive seen looked kind of blocky as far as the 3D engine goes,but it does have alot of great features,including a built in rumble pack and the first handheld proportional joystick.plus its in english too.so i think you should go with that system since your gonna need PDA functions which the GP32 is limited on. i love my GP32,but you cant deny that the zodiac has some great potential. i agree shah,i have a turbografx cd system and a turbo express handheld that i purchased recently on ebay along with a mint condition R-TYPE game,but i play it more on the GP32 because of the great resolution that the screen provides, have you tried the jap R-TYPE 2,its really tough.

blah blah blah.

if you want NOW, get GP32. if you can be patient, wait and see how the Zodiac tuns out, and what the (as-yet-undeveloped) emulators/etc play like. It's not out just yet (almost!) and the first wave of dev is gonna take a little time, so.. nobody knows!

don't buy something based purely on speculation, unless you don't mind blowing lots of money.

Yeah, bear in mind the GP32 is over two years old now, it won't take 2 years but it will take quite a while until ports start showing up for the Zodiac.

Wait and see what happens with the Zodiac scene first, and if you like it, then go for it

I think that I'll wait for the Zodiac and get a Gp32 for now, hopefully the Zodiac and palm emus become more mainstream soon though!

Thanx for the advice too, I can't to get a new handheld!

I was stuck in the same position. I went for GP32 in the end and have to say i do not regret it one bit, this console is truely great, its worth it for Pinball Dreams alone (but im a pinball freek).

mmm.... internet via bluetooth... mmmmmmm..... internet in public places via wifi.... mmm... mp3s playing in background as you play thousands of palm apps...

need i continue? :rolleyes:

Back