Tiger Game.com

I wonder how many millions they spent on those licences?

Yes, i ask me the same question to myself several times... They used to have (TIGER now was absorbed by HASBRO) a LOT of Sega , Capcom, Atari, Williams and other companies like this licenses. Resident Evil 2 was launched in 99X format and for the GAME.COM. Mortal Kombat 3 was launched for Game.com, for R-Zone as well as for the Barcodzz , a series of Barcode Battler systems launched by Tiger as well in the 90´s.

Tiger was a great company in terms of LCD TIMING. The best LCD TIMING handhelds probably were the Tiger´s . Their series SUPER SOUND were the first handhelds to add real sound effects to game play and even 3D perspective . All the Tiger handhelds from the 80´s force the LCD TIMING technology beyond the limits giving any draw 5 or 6 different uses. What is a feet in stage 1 may be a missile in stage 2 in the same game.

The R-ZONE was in this area unique: an LCD TIMING based system with lighted sprites and complex coding and realistic sound effects. At the moment TIGER pass to the DOT MATRIX world things start going bad... the 99x just sucks, and the pixels will die without cure almost in 90% of the units. Game.com used to have problems with the dot matrix screen as well.

Finally they did something i can´t explain: they launched a portable console, with SD card, backlight and color... (the VUGO) , before the GP2X if i am not wrong and with all these licenses.. they don´t launche ANY SINGLE GAME. The sold it as a "media device" were you only can play music in its own format.

Look this and let me know why these guys don´t launch this as a game console!!

VuGo1.JPG

The VUGO was re-launched as TV NOW by HASBRO, and obviously.. it was the last failure. A color console without games and no homebrew options, but really poor as a media center.

This is the history of the only company that competed an survived NINTENDO for about 20 years, maybe the only competitor who stands competing against Nintendo in the handheld market for 2 decades.

Back