Release ZGV

Ultra_Jon

Here is ZGV, my all-time favorite image viewer.

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=ZGV

There's not a whole lot to say;  it's pretty fast, supports all the best formats, has a thumbnail based browser, can display animated GIFs and IMHO is miles better than ristretto as a default viewer.  I'd even go so far as to say that it could compete with Pandora Image Viewer, at least for my purposes.

It displays my GIF images correctly, and that's awesome.  Pandora Image Viewer made half of them transparent.  Many more controls would be great, but maybe they're already there and I just need to look at the help file.

I don't feel like implementing animation, but if there's a transparency issue with PIV, please send me a test image so I can fix it.

Nevermind, I have packaged a PND myself. What changed:

- added 800x480 resolution as default

- added support for pnd_assoc

- included new icon and screenshots

Feel free to upload it on the repo if you like it. You can also add me as a maintainer.

This is very good. How do I make this my default viewer?
Try to download the attached PND, install it in pandora/apps (or menu, desktop), and then open properties dialog for a JPG/PNG/GIF file and set the following command in "Open with/custom command":

Code:
pnd_assoc zgv zgv

Edit: attachment removed, newer version below

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very good. How do I make this my default viewer?
Try to download the attached PND, install it in pandora/apps (or menu, desktop), and then open properties dialog for a JPG/PNG/GIF file and set the following command in "Open with/custom command":

pnd_assoc zgv zgv
I did as you said Dimag0g, and I keep getting error messages. It says fail to add: new application "pnd_assoc"

Perhaps you don't have PND_utils installed. I assumed those scripts became part of the firmware by now, but as it turns out you still need to install them manually to associate PNDs to file types.

Perhaps you don't have PND_utils installed. I assumed those scripts became part of the firmware by now, but as it turns out you still need to install them manually to associate PNDs to file types.
Oh, you're right! I just remembered I recently installed 1.70 SZ! And I didn't reinstall PND utils [or java run time]. I reinstalled PND utils, and followed your instructions. Everything worked great. Thanks!

The help with FN+x doesn't show all controls. Is there a list with all controls?

The help with FN+x doesn't show all controls. Is there a list with all controls?
Please download the new version attached here. It has documentation included in HTML format.

Other changes in this version:

- tagged files are fighlighted in green instead of dark red (much more visible)

- added mouse support (right click for context menu)

- disabled all resolutions except 800x480 to avoid crashes

Since the Ultra_Jon doesn't seem to visit this thread very often, I think I will release my version on the repo sometimes soon.

zgv.pnd

Attachments

• zgv.pnd
    158.8 KB · Views: 183
Wow, that'll teach me to slack off.

dimag0g, I added you as maintainer, and thanks for all your work.

I have some suggestions for it:

1. It should have the ability to cache as many images as possible to RAM.
  2. It should have its command line parameter which is used to run it changed to make it load in auto-animate mode.
  3. The previous/next keyboard shortcuts should be changed to where they are next to each other on the keyboard.

2. It should have its command line parameter which is used to run it changed to make it load in auto-animate mode.
  3. The previous/next keyboard shortcuts should be changed to where they are next to each other on the keyboard.
Those are nice suggestions indeed, but they may require more time than I'm ready to spare. I will look into animation stuff before updating ZGV on the repo, but don't count on getting any heavy RAM optimizations...

Ultra_Jon,
Thanks for adding me to maintainers, and also for bringing this cool program into the light.

Those are nice suggestions indeed, but they may require more time than I'm ready to spare. I will look into animation stuff before updating ZGV on the repo, but don't count on getting any heavy RAM optimizations...

Ultra_Jon,
Thanks for adding me to maintainers, and also for bringing this cool program into the light.
2. All that requires is changing the launch script so it passes -A as a parameter to ZGV.

3. All that requires is changing the next/previous image shortcut from Space/Backspace to M/N or ./,.

Another suggestion I have is that it should remember what directory it was last viewing when its closed.

2. All that requires is changing the launch script so it passes -A as a parameter to ZGV.

3. All that requires is changing the next/previous image shortcut from Space/Backspace to M/N or ./,.

[4]. Another suggestion I have is that it should remember what directory it was last viewing when its closed.
2: I don't see why I should change the defaults for everyone. If I add the -A parameter to the default script there may be people complainig they cannot view individual frames anymore. You can always create a custom startup (appdata/zgv/run.sh) with the -A parameter if you like, or press 'e' to start animation while viewing.

3: Same argument as above, plus I will have to modify the source and edit documentation. BTW, the keys you have suggested are already in use (m mirrors the picture, ./, change contrast)

4: The idea is reasonable, maybe I'll take a look at it. Personally I like zgv the way it is.

2. Why would people want to view individual frames? Btw, the progress bar should be changed to show the loading of the entire animation instead of each frame. That or get rid of it since no other image viewer on the Pandora has one.

3. You could make it so that all keyboard shortcuts can be changed by editing a file.

I don't want to sound impolite, but here's the thing: zgv was written the way it is, and I'm not going to rewrite it (I might as well write my own viewer in that case). It doesn't have a config file to change key bindings, and I don't feel like adding one. I guess you'll have better luck asking _wb_ to add a keyboard bindings file to PIV - at least he won't have to study the code since he's the original author.

On the animation subject, without -A parameter all you have to do to see the animation is to press 'e'. Or just associate GIFs to

pnd_assoc zgv zgv -A

and get them animated automatically. It's no big deal IMO.

It feels weird to request a feature on a package I started, but I've got one: Higher resolution modes.

As ZGV doesn't have a method for zooming out, I used to use higher resolutions to simulate the effect. It was a kludge, since the modes built in were 4:3 aspect and the images would distort, but since you've already put in an 800x480 mode, I figure it would be relatively trivial to put in maybe 1600x960 or something. I forget what the highest resolution the omap SDL driver supports, but it goes fairly high iirc. In my old pnd it would scale in hardware thanks to the omap SDL; I notice you disabled the omap driver in your version, I'm guessing that was to get the mouse to show up? Anyway, that would be a useful feature IMHO. If you don't want to do it could you message me your modified source so I could look into it?

It feels weird to request a feature on a package I started, but I've got one: Higher resolution modes. As ZGV doesn't have a method for zooming out, I used to use higher resolutions to simulate the effect. It was a kludge, since the modes built in were 4:3 aspect and the images would distort, but since you've already put in an 800x480 mode, I figure it would be relatively trivial to put in maybe 1600x960 or something. I forget what the highest resolution the omap SDL driver supports, but it goes fairly high iirc. In my old pnd it would scale in hardware thanks to the omap SDL; I notice you disabled the omap driver in your version, I'm guessing that was to get the mouse to show up? Anyway, that would be a useful feature IMHO. If you don't want to do it could you message me your modified source so I could look into it?
As far as I remember, ZGV can go only as high as 1280x1024 using notaz SDL, switching to higher modes results in a black screen. Plus, like you said, there is no mouse anymore.

I'll see if I manage to make ZGV mouse pointer compatible with notaz SDL and modify the aspect ratio on all modes; that seems to be the easiest to do.

I'll also post the sources here this evening (nothing fancy there, I remember doing sed s:800, 600:800, 480: on all the files).

Back