MDave

ZEQ2 Lite Developer
United Kingdom, North East Wales, Buckley
Website
www.zeq2.com
zeq2lite.png

Coming to Pandora ...

Is what I would like to say :)

This project has been worked on for a good few years already, and recently been brought back to life for a release soon on PC/MAC/Linux. I'd LOVE to see this on the Pandora too. Infact, it should be pretty quick to see this on the Pandora because it's based on the ioquake3 engine :)

We have come pretty far, but we need some extra help with the coding side of things :) If there is any quake 3 guru or game code know it all around, PM me so we can get this project finished and off the ground for the Pandora's launch. There isn't much we need to do. Pickle, if your reading this, I could send you the latest build to see how well it runs on the Pandora? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave said:
Pickle, if your reading this, I could send you the latest build to see how well it runs on the Pandora? :)
I have no problem testing it out. Are you using opengl es?

'Pickle' said:
'MDave' said:
Pickle, if your reading this, I could send you the latest build to see how well it runs on the Pandora? :)
I have no problem testing it out. Are you using opengl es?

Awesome :D Nahh, the renderer is pretty much identical to vanilla, stock, good old quake 3. Only a few additions to it, but nothing like GLSL shaders. Just fixed function things. I'll PM you the SVN details :)

'Tripmonkey_uk' said:
Woohoo, more work for Pickle :lol:
I take it that this is the ever so secret mod that you were on about the other week MDave? looks sweet.
Yeah that is the one ;) I was hoping to port it myself when I get my own Pandora, but my anticipation is getting to me, and thought it be great to have on launch :p

Looks like I'll be tackling this port of ZEQ2Lite on the Pandora, was hoping to get it ready on launch but it seems pickle is busy :) and the ioquake3 port has some problems.

Oh yeah, the wiki has a typo with this projects name in the 'Projects under development' section :p

I'll post some more screenshots of the game some time today!

Oh yeah, anyone interested in working on this project? Drop me a PM or ask here! Quake 3 experience is favorable!

Gruso posted on May 15 2009 at 01:43 PM said:
MDave posted on May 15 2009 at 10:33 PM said:
Oh yeah, the wiki has a typo with this projects name in the 'Projects under development' section :p
Then fix it. :p You have the powa!
There, done :p I was afraid of doing it because I've never edited a wiki article before. Hopefully I didn't break the internets in the process!
I think some things might need turned down to make the game actually playable on the pandora :) If Quake 3 runs at 60, then this will run at 30-20, maybe less.

Anyway, some screen shots as promised:

shot1.jpg

shot2.jpg

shot3.jpg

Gruso posted on May 16 2009 at 01:50 AM said:
They look great! Is there a website with more info? Or can you give us more of a rundown on the game?
Cheers! We do have a website but the information on this particular project doesn't really exist yet :p

I'll explain it as if you are not aware of the dragon ball z series, and it's mechanics.

It's based on the dragon ball z franchise, as a third person fighting/shooting game :)

It's a very fast paced twitch multi player game, including your average death match and team death match modes although we plan to make it very unlike your typical death match style game ;)

The health and ki (ammo for your shooting attacks) are all based on one variable called Power Level, so everything you do effects this variable (it's the only bar you can see in the HUD in the above screenshots). When it goes down to zero, you die. Getting hurt or over exerting yourself with a large attack drains this, as well as light speed movement (basically teleport, it's called zanzoken) :)

You can increase your total maximum power level by fighting other players, or by charging it up (although you will be left stationary when you do this). Transformations become available after you reach a certain Power Level, and these can increase some stats like melee and ki strength and defense, although at a cost of constant power level drain, depending on how powerful the transformation is.

There is a lot of strategy to the game, mainly on how you control your power level and the tactics you use depending on the scenario, like close range fighting or long distance shooting :)

The fighting system itself is also going to be something you would see straight from the show, with the fast speed melee when two players are locked on within a close range, and power melee with knocks the other player away (if you can land the hit!).

Characters have their signature ki attacks like the ones from the show.

Fights are meant to last for more then a few minutes against other players, although of course this depends on how much power level they have to play with before they die. :)

There will only be a couple of characters to play with when we release, and a few maps too. Eventually this will increase once we have finished the core game code :)

MDave posted on May 15 2009 at 05:24 PM) I think some things might need turned down to make the game actually playable on the pandora : said:
If Quake 3 runs at 60, then this will run at 30-20, maybe less.
The graphic looks more simple than Q3, maybe we are in Luck and it will run FASTER onto the Pandora? :) However, I'm sure such a game will still look good enough when if runs for example in 400x240 (half the res of the Pandora Screen)

The game remembers me onto "BID FOR POWER" a very nice Q3 Mod (someone should test, if BFP works with the Pandora Q3 Version ;) ). I had the whole Dragonball-Chara version and it was quite fun. Big advantage was, you was able to play offline against bots, I hope, this "Zeq2lite" also has some kind of Single Player. ^_^

KA-ME-HA-ME-HAAAA! :D

Hehe, the graphics may seem not as detailed as quake 3's, but the maps are hundreds of times larger then your typical quake 3 map :) The character models are also a lot more detailed, using much higher polycounts and texture sizes too. The first post in this thread, that picture was taken ingame ;) The map thats in that screenshot is about 35000 triangles alone :p I don't think that map will run at an acceptable frame rate at all on the pandora. So I think we will need to make some smaller, more pandora friendly maps for the pandora ;)

Yeah we plan to have bots in, although don't expect much from them initially, nothing much more then standing still (at least to test the combat and other things on them) :p

Sorry, I don't like it.
I don't really like DragonBall so you can't really count my vote, but I worked with numerous cel-shaded graphic demos. Why do you need high-res textures for this? And how comes that your terrain renderer is so slow (35k are not much at all)?
And I'm missing outlines on the terrain - I just checked some dragonball videos and they clearly had more details on the ground and outlines in the distance
PS: If it really is that slow I would think about switching the engine.

?
And I'm missing outlines on the terrain - I just checked some dragonball videos and they clearly had more details on the ground and outlines in the distance
PS: If it really is that slow I would think about switching the engine.
You don't have to be a dragonball z fan to enjoy the game.

35K not a lot no, but it is when you can see the whole scene at once, like you can with that particular map. And that screenshot doesn't show even a quarter of the map. I wouldn't go judging this when you haven't seen it properly yet. This is quake 3 here, not crysis.
Why shouldn't you need high res textures? We need them so the black lines and other details stay nice and sharp on the character models when up close. Yeah outlines on the maps is possible, but it means drawing the whole map again, effectively reducing the frame rate. I'm sorry but I feel some amount of ignorance reading your post. :p

Here is a screenshot of it at a much higher resolution with 4xAA and outlines on the map. This won't be playable on the pandora with outlines :p

I should let you know that the scale of the map compared to the player is this: MASSIVE.

Yeh, I'm ignorant and better don't take my posts too serious. But still: try to understand my point :p.

Can't you use some sort of streaming for the map? (There are whole books written on that topic after all)

I thought you were using flipped triangles for the outline - this makes perfect sense to me, but why would you need high-res textures then? There are not too many details on your character - I don't see a problem here, just draw those with an extra texture and use something like mip-mapping for it.

And for the map I wouldn't go with outlines like that neither, you are right: By far too much geometry. You can probably use a fragment shader for edge-detection. I haven't tested this on the Pandora yet, but on the PSP even the CPU can handle that in realtime.

(Also I don't see where your terrain is massive. I'm writing a game myself right now which has a huge 3D terrain - A few kilometres visible in every direction from the players location I would say - and its still fast)

I don't think we need high Polycount Models onto the Pandora-Version. Maybe the engine can scale down or just using low detail settings. Maybe the Chara Outlines can be drawn per realtime hardware command and not straight into a texture...Maybe some Map Optimizing can also reduce the Polycount. Distance-fog or a good LOD system, BSP trees... I don't know.
*sigh* nobody wants to code a good AI those days... :(

Well I imagine it would be slow if you were trying to render all the triangles in the map... but for instance in saurbraten they aren't rendered only the ones you are close enough to are fully rendered (unless you CPU can render it all then it does) my Geforce 2 is acutally slow enough I can actually notice this happening a bit in some levels with lots of textures and geometry but hey it works and isn't too noticable

Im not sure if quake3 does that though

hey you can always limit visibility

Back