Zak Mckracken On Frodo Problems :(

PookySam

Still Fresh
Hi, trying to get Zak Mckracken to work on Frodo but really having no joy :( Other C64 games seem to work ok but when I run the zak boot .d64 all I get is a black screen? Anyone able to point me in the right direction? :( please? :)

This game uses some kind of weird compression if I recall correctly and will probably not work on Frodo at all. I remember not being able to get it to work on a PC emulator.

Try it on Castaway or ScummVM, better graphics anyway.
:)

For some reason I prefer the C64 of this game. I remember getting it for Amiga - but it just didn't seem right. I wasn't impressed by the graphical improvement of this game (The reflection in Zak's hair makes it look like he's wearing a turd on his head).

I didn't complete it on C64 though... That happened on Amiga.

Haven't tried it on GP but I imagine, I would prefer the C64-version over whatever version runs under ScummVM. The pad would properbly do joystick emulation better than mouse-emulation too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, trying to get Zak Mckracken to work on Frodo but really having no joy :( Other C64 games seem to work ok but when I run the zak boot .d64 all I get is a black screen? Anyone able to point me in the right direction? :( please? :)

I'll have a go at getting it working, there's various thing I can try to make it work

Last edited by a moderator:
I've tried all sorts to get it working, 3 different sets of disk images, extracting prg files, saving a state using action replay, 1541 drive emulation.... and nothing works! It's just one of those damn fussy games that probably has some kind of fastloader that crashes fussy emulators

But thinking about it, you're better off using scummvm anyway because the savestates in frodo are rather unreliable, and this is a game you will need to save often!

Ok, thanks everyone for all the replies! as long as it isn't just that I'm doing something stupid. Managed to get it working in ScummVM including the lovely 256 colour version :)

Back